To cheer myself up: August 2016

Bungle123

Feeling nostalgic for Ibiza recently given the way the world is slowly turning to shit, felt like writing a review of last years holiday would make me feel a bit better. Have booked to go out again in July and I already can't wait. People laugh when you talk about the magic of Ibiza and the power of music, and it does sound a little cheesy, but for me there is no place like it. I know it's changed a lot in recent years and will continue to change, but just thinking about visiting again makes me feel happy. I'm generally one of life's 'responsible' people, but in Ibiza I feel relaxed, I feel happy, it's just a bit special to me.

Anyway! Here's my admittedly dull review, but hey I had a good time.

Went out in august with my boyfriend (let's call him John), and our friends Jen and Chris (there's literally nothing scandalous in this review so don't know why I'm using fake names but whatever). We're in our late 20s, Me and John have been going out for years, both before and after we met, but it was Jen and Chris' first time out so I was really excited to show them the island. They're open minded in terms of music and I knew it was going to be a great week.

First day: arrived late Saturday afternoon, stayed at Marina Playa in the bay. I love this hotel, it's perfect for us. Self catering, adults only, lovely rooms, normally great music around the pool with a live DJ etc. The price has gone up loads this year since the renovations but it's worth it for us, though probs not for everyone.
Had a fairly gentle first night, cocktails and snacks at Khumaras for the sunset, nice chilled out vibe. No African band/dancers/fire eaters that were there the year before - they were so much fun. Finished the night with a mini pub crawl around the bay, ending up in Itaca.

Sunday: this was the day i was most excited for; The Black Madonna at Space. Spent the day chilling around the pool, then pre drinks on the balcony. After about an hour I noticed John start to go white. Sure enough he's not feeling well. Spewing, shaking, the lot. f***. Take it easy in the sun kids. It's getting on for 12:30 and I'm starting to think the night is going to be a write off. I try to hide my disappointment and he goes off to lie down for an hour. I go back to our friends balcomy and pray for a miracle. About 1:30 I go to see him and he's up and about, said he's feeling a bit better, he chucked some Imodium and I gave him a pep talk, and he said he was coming out. Think he knew how desperate i was to go and I couldn't have gone without him, it wouldn't have been the same. Anyway, I now felt a new found respect for life, god bless you sweet lord, let's get to Space!
I was on such a high after my night out almost disappeared before my eyes, when we got into Space we headed straight for the Terrace where the Black Madonna was just starting. I walked in to her playing Grace Jones: Pull up to the bumper, and the only word I can use to express how I was feeling is joy. Sheer joy. If you ever get the chance to see her please go. I can't describe how amazing she was, it sounds ridiculous I know but i felt so free, on that space terrace for the last time, dancing my butt off. The vibe was so good, there was no edge, no attitude, like I said, just sheer joy. There's something about her that is just so wonderful.
Anwyway, after dancing non-stop for the whole of her set we also caught Heidi who was pretty good, went into the main room for Dusky but wasn't feeling it, completely different vibe to TBM. Closed the terrace with Derrick Carter who was great, danced away until security herded us out. By this point Chris was worse for wear and we knew it was time to go, but the beats in the main room were by now so good I couldn't leave, I just wanted to stay and dance (can't remember who it was, possible Patrick Topping). Anyway I reluctantly danced to the exit in the end and we headed back, best night I've ever ever had in Ibiza and the perfect goodbye to Space. Really curious to see how it's going to be on the island next year.

Monday: did nothing of note in the day after getting to bed about 8am. Sankeys in the night for Todd Terry and Sam Devine, but she cancelled last minute (ill I think). Good night, but a bit of an anti climax after the night before. Plus I've decided that Sankeys generally isn't one of my favourite clubs. Went the year before too for Yousef and it was good, but the crowd on both nights is just too British. Wasn't as noticeable last year but this year there were just muscled British lads in trainers, long socks and caps; topless, swinging their white t-shirts around. It was really f***ing weird. Not a good vibe at all. Much younger crowd too. We managed to get a space by the DJ box anyway and I enjoyed Todd Terry. He played Nirvana 'smells like teen spirit' which wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I grew up on Nirvana and our friends are fans of all things rocks/grunge/metal, so that was a cool moment for us all. I won't be going to Sankeys against this year, crowd too young, too much of an attitude, I think I've just outgrown it a bit.

Tuesday: again literally no idea what we did in the day. The hotel pool area is so nice and the drinks are so good, it's difficult to pull yourself away especially when you're feeling a bit fragile. Actually this could be the day we went to Cala Gracioneta which was really nice. Packed obviously (had to go in august this year but always try to avoid it), but sunbathed for an hour or so then had lunch and a few drinks at the restaurant there. Then went to Tapas in San An in the night, can highly recommend this place. Amazing food, wine, good service, reasonable prices. Really nice night, I need a few of these! I can't hit the clubs every single night, I like a bit of a nanna night too.

Wednesday: ha, well we did have plans for this day; starboats. We'd booked in advance, ufortunately the weather wasn't looking to good. Well let's give it a go! We wanted to go down to Cala Conta etc but they said it was too choppy, so we headed up north instead. First 20 mins were lovely, ciders, snacks, music, all having a lovely time. Then a few drops of rain appeared. We were just out from Cala salada, ready to have a dip, it's just a bit of rain, no big deal. Then the thunderstorm came in. The beach slowly started to empty, the lifeguard was blowing his whistle, ordering people out of the sea. We thought it might pass. It didn't pass. The beach, in august, was totally empty after about an hour of thunder and lightning. The lightning was coming from all sides anD the thunder was booming, it was both really scary but also so surreal. Lots of joking and nervous laughter. We couldn't decide what to do for the best, we thought about going back but it looked like it could be worse if we went a bit more into the open sea, the sky was so grey, we couldn't even see that far. We thought the shelter of the beach was probably the best bet, plus a few of the boats moored had tall rods of metal reaching high into the sky, so we figured they'd be more likely to conduct the lightning than us. We waited it out for over an hour, eventually heading backs when things had calmed a little and we were starting to get cold. I had to lower myself into the sea and pee while a thunderstorm raged overhead, not my most dignified moment. All this being said it was still such a good day in its own weird way, definitely hiring one again next year, hopefully in the sun.

Anyway, eventually got back, got warm, had a nap, then got ready to go to Pikes. Love that place, full of interesting characters and you just end up talking to all sorts of people. Chatted to an Argentinan who reckoned he was a driver/general assistant of some rich dude and he'd recently been at a villa party with Solomun (who he said was really nice) and Maya Jane Coles. Reckon he was bullshitting? Who cares, it was fun. Anyway, Jen had managed to get herself tied up with this Scottish woman who was in a right shape looking for her daughter. She spent ages trying to help her but the woman was just a dick, and by this time Jen had drank a lot of rum and her mood took a turn for a worse. After about 40 minutes of dancing with John without seeing either of them we realised Chris had had to take Jen home. Me and John stayed a while longer the followed them, we were both getting a bit messy, they make their Dark n Stormy's (in honour of the weather) strong at Pikes. We'll be going back this year so Jen can have a better night this time.

Thursday; complete write off. John woke up rough, room spinning, headache etc. Jen spewed until about 3pm. I chilled out in the sun, dozed, did a run to the shop, a nothing day, but i was in Ibiza, I was fine.

Friday; last day/night. Had a sunset table booked for Mambo, I'm a bit over Mambo now to be honest. I had one of my most favourite moments there 6 years ago, I was with my friend and the sun was going down and Eric Prydz was playing, and he played Neil Young 'Harvest Moon'. It's one of my all time favourite songs and I never expected to hear it in Ibiza. It was honestly really special moment. But there a been a bit of a shift there the last few years and I don't enjoy it as much as I did. Still, it was a nice night, the food was nice, the sunset was great as usual, the music was really good, we enjoyed. The service was terrible mind, worst I've ever had there, the waitress got a lot wrong, overcharged us on the bill. I'm never one to complain about service and i always always tip (still tipped here because she wasn't the only one who worked our table), but she had a really bad attitude like she was doing us a favour. Also I got really really drunk and not good drunk. No more vodka for me. Dunno if I'd go again next year, a good DJ could probably tempt me though.

Anyway, there ends my review/diary. I feel better already. Cheers.

Edit: totally forgot we had tickets for Solomun at Destino on the Thursday, I must have wiped the disappointment from my mind. That's the second time I've missed Destino, had Luciano tickets last year but I was too rough...
Very much doubt we'll get a third chance this year, we don't deserve it Sob sob.

Nice review! Love scouring this bit of the forum this time of year when you need to hit the nostalgia button!

You probably knew this but The Black Madonna set from that night was recorded for radio...thought I should mention incase you missed it

you didnt mention the dates you were, as i was sure to be at space on sunday the same day as you..
True that at Pikes you meet funny characters, i remember a cooker from a fancy boat , telling me; i m so high , so sorry for my behaviour.
_u dont, as long u are cool & not look for trouble im fine : u are in ibz & what happens in ibz stay in IBZ :spank: & he recognize me later at a space party..
& other funny UK old character that try to speak french ..
No twats in Pikes, its what i like, no rude people & very educated people there..:cool: when they slightly touch you in the dancefloor they apologize & so on ..if this spirit could apply to other places :D

Marina play is a nice place i've discovered through local djs ibz 13 , but at the end of the summer, one Djs post a note, that they use the brand of his party, even he is not working with them anymore...looks like he got an argue with Marina play Staff..

Imodium: one medic that can save your life :lol:

you didnt mention the dates you were, as i was sure to be at space on sunday the same day as you..
True that at Pikes you meet funny characters, i remember a cooker from a fancy boat , telling me; i m so high , so sorry for my behaviour.
_u dont, as long u are cool & not look for trouble im fine : u are in ibz & what happens in ibz stay in IBZ :spank: & he recognize me later at a space party..
& other funny UK old character that try to speak french ..
No twats in Pikes, its what i like, no rude people & very educated people there..:cool: when they slightly touch you in the dancefloor they apologize & so on ..if this spirit could apply to other places :D

Marina play is a nice place i've discovered through local djs ibz 13 , but at the end of the summer, one Djs post a note, that they use the brand of his party, even he is not working with them anymore...looks like he got an argue with Marina play Staff..

Imodium: one medic that can save your life :lol:

6th-13th August I think it was :) Did you catch The Black Madonna? There was also a dude roaming around in a kind of metal outfit with absolutely loads of piercings, was pretty cool but might freak someone out if they were partaking in some mind-altering substances.

Love Pikes, such a good vibe. Although there were a few posers around on this night, there were a few girls (you know the type, with the lips and the lashes) lounging on a bed who asked me to take their picture, turned out that one lived about 20 minutes away from me back in Wales. Wherever you go in the world you always meet someone else from the valleys..:rolleyes: They were airheads but perfectly nice, definitely no aggro at Pikes (in my grand sum of 2 experiences).

Back