Tips for keeping stuff safe while swimming ?

Terrier

Hi Guys

I just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas for keeping possessions safe while swimming ??

Its fine if you are simply popping down to the beach from your hotel for a quick dip but I love long walks and dropping in on beaches on the way.

If I'm setting out walking for the day I obviously need keys , money, credit cards etc and it always scares the living daylights out of me walking off and leaving a pile of gear behind.

I started to take a plastic bag and bury the gear in the sand last year !

The easiest solution is to swim separately from my wife but that would ruin a great deal of the fun in swimming !

What do you guys do ?

I always ask the closest person sunbathing if she/he would mind to take a look after my stuff. It's the most common here in Barcelona

I get really paranoid of people nicking my stuff, it's not happened to me yet it probably will this year now cause i've said this!!!

Was in spain last year and left my wallet under my t-shirt and it ws nicked. was then handed into reception with everything in it bar my money :evil: so when i head to ibiza in sept 2004 il be having it beside me at all times or leaving it with my m8s

What I found worked really well was one of my Mum's old tupperware containers with a long piece of plastic coated cord melted onto it and tied round my waist.

It would happily bob around whilst I performed various strokes and kept keeping my keys, coins and mobile safe and dry.

comin' at ya said:
What I found worked really well was one of my Mum's old tupperware containers with a long piece of plastic coated cord melted onto it and tied round my waist.

It would happily bob around whilst I performed various strokes and kept keeping my keys, coins and mobile safe and dry.

genius!

does it also act as a buoyancy aid?

comin' at ya said:

Well done - I was trying to come up with something similar. Mine involved a new DuckSafe(TM) - a completely obvious safe disguised as a duck! You anchor it to the seabed, y'see. Can't believe its never been done before!

Buckley said:
comin' at ya said:

Well done - I was trying to come up with something similar. Mine involved a new DuckSafe(TM) - a completely obvious safe disguised as a duck! You anchor it to the seabed, y'see. Can't believe its never been done before!

for the realistic approach you could even use a real duck, and tie it to its foot!!

Yeah but you'd also have to anchor the duck to the sea bed or else it may just swim away with all your stuff......kind of defeating the purpose. :lol:

K said:
Yeah but you'd also have to anchor the duck to the sea bed or else it may just swim away with all your stuff......kind of defeating the purpose. :lol:

Not if it was in a safe as Buckley suggested! (unless its a very strong duck!) :lol:

comin' at ya said:

What a genius idea! Quick...somebody patent it!!! Could go down a storm on the beaches of Ibiza this summer!!! hehehehehhe!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

Scoobie said:
K said:

Not if it was in a safe as Buckley suggested! (unless its a very strong duck!) :lol:

ha ha, visions of the safe sinking to the bottom of the sea, dragging the poor little duck with it to a watery grave. :lol:

K said:
Scoobie said:
K said:

ha ha, visions of the safe sinking to the bottom of the sea, dragging the poor little duck with it to a watery grave. :lol:

Oooo..never thought of that. Obviously the rope/depth ratio is of the upmost important in this design. but I'm sure it will be a high quality product with such a large customer base, so shouldn't be an issue!

Scoobie said:
K said:
Scoobie said:
K said:

Oooo..never thought of that. Obviously the rope/depth ratio is of the upmost important in this design. but I'm sure it will be a high quality product with such a large customer base, so shouldn't be an issue!

Would this be the right thread for me to unveil the SelfDeliveryCheekyMonkey(TM)?

When you're bored at work, but can't leave the office you ring up Buckley's Pet Store and order one. £20.70 they are, the 0.70p being the fare 'cos the deliver themselves......by bus!

What do you reckon?

good question, I never bother bringing much to the beach as it would be too bad if it was all nicked. the hotelrooms arent really safe either tho! soem of my friends had their stuff taken when we stayed at Norte.

Back