Thomas Bangalter & DJ Falcon - Call on Me

Agree with you 100% gecko when you say they are some of the pioneers of french house and I own a number of tracks by Bangalter on Roule - Trax on da Rocks springs to mind - and they were innovative at the time.

But I stand by my judgement - this is not.

comin' at ya said:
Errm , not all the ones I mentioned are explicitly jazzy , soulful house DJ's.

Yes - they do play some jazzy , soulful house but then again people like Rasoul , Kenny Hawkes, Halo will play dirty jackin house within the set.

The point is that its not the genre, its the quality of the music itself.

And for me , quality isnt some old Stevie Winwood vocal over your standard house by numbers french filter backing.

Each to the own everyone will probably say - and that is a very fair point. I can appreciate its a 'fun' house record but please dont ell me its a quality house record.

:D :D :D :D

But the point I took from your post was that only the dj's you mentioned are "proper house dj's", perhaps implying that anyone who plays this Bangalter record is not a proper house dj, non?

I could name a number of truly AWFUL records MAW have played in the past, but it would be a personal opinion of those tracks and I certainly wouldn't class them as "not proper dj's" for doing so........

No , not just those mentioned are proper house music DJ's. And when I say proper maybe I should say deep, underground e.t.c.

There are to many to mention - Chris Lum , Thomas Sah, Lwanchair Generals, Elliot Eastwick , balh , blah.

I was simply making the point that that record is a cheesy house record.

Anyway , I bet the none record buying type's are getting bored of music chat !!!!

:D :D :D

comin' at ya said:
I'm not being pretentious - I am being honest !!!!!

It is awful !!!!!

If it isnt cheesey why is it not being played by any of the proper house music DJ's ??

Cant see the like Kenny Hawkes, MAW , Rasoul , e.t.c. dropping this ??

:D

Cause it's FRENCH HOUSE and those names u've mentioned above were never into playing this genre, but more into funky soulful vocal grooves (MAW), or deep tech house (Kenny Hawks)...

IMO it isn't so cheesy as i doubt it'll ever get to MTV or overplayed by some of our "beloved" djs like DJ Sammy or Judge Jules (etc).
And thats for the simple reason that the mainstream croud isn't so attracted to repeating vocals looped in what we refer to as a 'house track'.
(Look at the mainstream success [?] of 'I got some much love to give')

Was that post in code ??

What are you talking about French House ?? Thats got nothing to do with it - french house isnt a genre !!!

You have loads of types of 'French House' - from David Duriez and Brique Rouge to Llorca and F-Comm !!!

Donno about yourself, but for me (and many others) there is such genre as pure french house. However not every french dj plays french house, if at all.

And regarding Thomas Bangalter - he's THE godfather and the first pioneer of of this amazing house genre.

Ain't trying to musicly educate u now (cause i'm sure u alreary are well educated music wise), but what i refer to when saying 'french house' is funky house tracks that are looped and/or filtered, where at times u can find some repeating vocals stashed in them. IE:

Daft Punk - Da Funk
Spiller - Sola
Together - So Much Love To Give
Junior Jack - Da Hype
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You

To name a few... :)

There IS such a genre as French House.

Now if you said Bulgarian House I'd look at you daft and slap you with a fish.

OK , so if there is a genre such as French House - that would include David Duriez AND Stardust yeah ???

I am such Msr Duriez would be happy with you labelling him that !!!

comin' at ya said:
OK , so if there is a genre such as French House - that would include David Duriez AND Stardust yeah ???

I am such Msr Duriez would be happy with you labelling him that !!!

Never heard any of David Duriez productions so i can't label his work yet, However the tracks i heard made by Stardust were french house ones.

And yes Thomas Bangalter is behind Stardust as well as many other production names (Together, Daft Punk)

Fusion - you cant discuss 'French House' if your knowledge is limited to Stardust e.t.c.

And one final point is there then such a thing as 'British House' ???

Point made.

comin' at ya said:
Fusion - you cant discuss 'French House' if your knowledge is limited to Stardust e.t.c.

And one final point is there then such a thing as 'British House' ???

Point made.

Actually point isn't made at all, and thats for the simple reason that my knowledge is much more expanded than just Stardust (look up and read the other examples i gave of french house tracks/producers).
Also i know many other french djs/producers that play a few types of house, where none of those are actually what i call 'french house'.

And final point - there isn't such thing as 'British House' from what i know, however if u want areas that are labled by electronic music geners u got New York House, Chicago House, Detroit Techno, to name a few ;)

Point made.

Back