Things The Americans have given the world and are proud of!

Morbyd said:
Telephone
Airplane
Light bulb
Traffic light
Microwave oven
Phonogram

One of those isn't correct, can you guess which one? ;)

Edit - i was saying Nope thinking that chewies post was a guess to my question

N8 said:
Nope to Chewie or nope to me?

Re: Phonogram

A sound recording and reproduction device utilizing what were essentially disk records was described by Charles Cros of France in 1877 but never built. In 1878, Thomas Edison independently built the first working phonograph, a tinfoil cylinder phonograph, and the phonograph cylinder dominated the recorded sound market starting in the 1880s. Disc records were invented by Emile Berliner in 1888, and were used exclusively in toys until 1894, when Berliner began marketing disk records under the Berliner Gramophone label. In the mid-1910s, disk records overtook cylinders in popularity, and would dominate the market until the 1990s.

He might be thinking the airplane. The first one was actually made by a Brit, but the first one to actually fly was American :lol:

I was thinking Telephone, invention now acredited to some Italian Chapie, but even if you acredit it to Bell, wasn't he Scottish but moved to the US?

Also,thinking about it, there are two others on the list...Aeroplane like you have pointed out (the guy had it built and ready to fly Four years before the Wright bro's but then he got himslef killed before he could fly it, doh!) theres also two other guys who apparantly actually flew their flying machines.

Plus, Lightbulb , sir humphrey davy 1809 ;)

N8 said:
I was thinking Telephone, invention now acredited to some Italian Chapie, but even if you acredit it to Bell, wasn't he Scottish but moved to the US?

Also,thinking about it, there are two others on the list...Aeroplane like you have pointed out (the guy had it built and ready to fly Four years before the Wright bro's but then he got himslef killed before he could fly it, doh!) theres also two other guys who apparantly actually flew their flying machines.

Plus, Lightbulb , sir humphrey davy 1809 ;)
Sorry. Bell developed the phone in the US, and I do give him credit, so :p

Airplane - as you noted, no one else made a documented flight before the brothers Wright, so that's ours too :p

As for the lightbulb, I suppose I should be specific and say the filament-based incandescent bulb.

The electric light, one of the everyday conveniences that most affects our lives, was invented in 1879 simultaneously by Thomas Alva Edison in the United States and Sir Joseph Wilson Swan in England.

However, the story of the electric light actually goes back to 1811, when Sir Humphrey Davy discovered that an electrical arc passed between two poles produced light. In 1841, experimental arc lights were installed as public lighting along the Place de la Concorde in Paris. Other experiments were undertaken in Europe and America, but the arc light eventually proved impractical because it burned out too quickly.

You might credit Bell but your country no longer does :p ;)

However, an Italian inventor Antonio Meucci is said to have invented the device in 1849, and in September 2001, Meucci was officially credited by the US Congress with the invention of the telephone, instead of Alexander Graham Bell.

N8 said:
You might credit Bell but your country no longer does :p ;)

However, an Italian inventor Antonio Meucci is said to have invented the device in 1849, and in September 2001, Meucci was officially credited by the US Congress with the invention of the telephone, instead of Alexander Graham Bell.
:evil:

Just goes to show what the dimwits in your country's legislature do in your absence when you move abroad.

Father and grandfather had careers the the phone company. :confused:

Back