The weekends footy !!

i always find this opinion funny, given that, whatever the circumstances, we beat juve, chelsea and milan to win it and twice had to score 3 goals in the 2nd half to survive.

I think the point is players like traore and smicer should NEVER have graced a European final. However, I do respect the outrageous tactical genius of Benitez in managing to win the ultimate trophy with such a preposterously average squad. I can see a fairly unremarkable arsenal side with zero pressure and media attention on it sneaking through - which I suppose is the analogy I am making.

Have a feeling Barca and Utd will both come unstuck in the semis.

I think the point is players like traore and smicer should NEVER have graced a European final. However, I do respect the outrageous tactical genius of Benitez in managing to win the ultimate trophy with such a preposterously average squad. I can see a fairly unremarkable arsenal side with zero pressure and media attention on it sneaking through - which I suppose is the analogy I am making.

Have a feeling Barca and Utd will both come unstuck in the semis.

traore, agreed, altho luke chadwick has a champs league winners medal too.

always remember when he came on a sub once at anfield, this fella behind me shouted "ar-hey fergie, der's kids watchin here" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

can't complain, the rags continue their implosion, long may it continue, still within reach of 7th spot, still in Europe, after comfortably controlling the game for 88 mins then almost throwing it away!!

just need to win some fecking away games!!!

and on the subject of who has the right to be in a final and who doesn't......I dont think thats anyones place to comment, if you play for a team who wins the requisite amount of games to win the trophy then you thoroughly deserve to be there, it's a team game afterall. Messrs Clough & Paisley will tell you that. The former won it twice with probably 9 players that some modern day football fascists would probably deem "not worthy"........load of bollocks!!!

fascists? a bit strong wouldn't you say? .. all I'm saying is that whilst any 2 bit player can win something as part of a well drilled functional unit (eg Greece 2004) when that happens, it does bring tournaments into disrepute and so makes it much harder to evaluate true greatness. Seems to me anyone can win the CL these days, so I guess the real yardstick for greatness now is back to back tournament victories? OR UEFA taking the competition back to basics and only allowing actual champions in?

fascists? a bit strong wouldn't you say? .. all I'm saying is that whilst any 2 bit player can win something as part of a well drilled functional unit (eg Greece 2004) when that happens, it does bring tournaments into disrepute and so makes it much harder to evaluate true greatness. Seems to me anyone can win the CL these days, so I guess the real yardstick for greatness now is back to back tournament victories? OR UEFA taking the competition back to basics and only allowing actual champions in?

I would be in favour of that..........but unfortunately it's not my call!!

Never happen. Too much money involved in the champ league.

Platini suggested bringing it back to a straight knockout till all the big boys sh1t their pants!!

Funny how you never hear Fergie/Arsene moaning about too many games when it involves champs league or a money spinning end of season tour to Botswana.

Back