The Volume On The Space Terrace

Amigo

It really is riduculous now. In certain areas of the terrace it isnt much more than background music during the day. I realise that the authorities are clamping down but surely just a couple more speakers here and there and a couple more decibels wouldnt hurt anyone. Pepe and all the promoters are doing their best to bring variety to the island and keep the spirit alive along with many other clubs too of course. There is music playing in every complex, bar and supermarket from midday onwards anyway, surely Space cant be drowning that out to the point where it is affecting peoples holidays? Maybe im being inconsiderate, I dont know, but please authorities, whoever you are, give us back a few decibels. With rumours of the terrace being surrounded by glass in years to come????!!, it sounds like they are slowly but surely taking the vibe away from us. Please dont.

the music has a nice level up until sunset. after that IMO they have to turn it down.

lat time i was there at 6-ish is what easily loud enough. it's just later when i think they get hassle from nearby hotels.

"surrounded by glass" OH MY GOD please no

EXCELLENT point

How true. Space completely messed up the quality last year by putting all their speakers in one basket, or one big bank, facing the 'floor. Unless you were right in front of this bank, background music is all you get.

This year (I saw DJ Sneak in late July) it was even worse - the phat man was doing his nut - and prob playing a storming set -but you cd barely pick up anything apart from drum patterns.

I DJ friend who ws with me said the system there is extremely temp-mental and when a DJ like Sneak plays (who's always ph•cking with the EQs) it just can't take it. When they sorted things for the last few tunes (including a truly delirious version of Womack (x2) Teardrops the subdued crowd went wild.

Of course Mr Lawler knows the terrace system inside out and is able to tweak it successfully.

Thats the day I was there too Stingray, Sneak. It was terrible in some places. Such a shame for the big man. They must be allowed to crank it up later on as Sneaks last few were noticably louder and Lawlers set was blasting. Im back out for Derrick Carter in September so Im planning to take a screw driver with me and attack the system to pump up the volume. DC is the man.

temper-mental Space

I actually think its the quirky, temper-mental set up of the Space system which is to blame for many world class DJs getting very average reviews on the terrace - it's just so muffled UNLESS you ( a resident, say) know how to tweak it correctly.

After Space we went to El Divino for Defected where Miguel and Jay J rocked the house. The system there is top gear. It was some contrast. No contest!

Last time I saw Sneak he was playing at The End in London where the system is phenomenal tough tribal, twisted, filtered yet phunking funky. One of the best sets I've every witnessed.

I once had a chat with Klaleed, owner of El Div and he said he went to the END and was so blown away that he installed the same system in his club. Good move for an aging playboy - if only Pepe at Space wd take note.

I will say the vibe was good down at Space. Which was just as well...

As far as I know the system in Space is installed by the same guys that installed the system in Fabric London and who are doing the sound for Tribal Gathering today, amongst others. But, Im almost sure I remember last year there were more speakers dotted around the terrace. DJ Sneak was very dissapointing for me due to this sound issue although the music was great. I have heard sketchy reviews about DJs too on the terrace but Id say a certain percentage of the bad reviews are down to the music having less of an impact due to this issue. Apart from Pete Tong of course.

teardrops

talking of the phat man, I went to a car boot in Brighton today and picked up a copy of Womack X2 CD with teardrops for £1!!

The funktion one system at Space last year was in the main room,they didnt do the Terrace. I dont know if its there this year?

Fabrics system is Martin Audio.

I'd have thought Space would have a dedicated sound engineer to get the best out of the system regardless of who's playing. There are very few DJ's who can set up the Eq's/levels successfully themselves,especially in a club they dont play too often at.

N8 said:
The funktion one system at Space last year was in the main room,they didnt do the Terrace. I dont know if its there this year?

I had a good look at the system on the terrace last year and couldn't tell what it was, but I was that battered I was probably staring at the urinals wondering why it was just a water running noise and not a dull thud.

The Funktion 1 system was put in for the 'We Love Sundays' parties but don't know whether they used in for other nights.

Is it really worth going for the terrace if it's going to be like listening to old people ****ing? :confused:

The funktion one system was there for Carl Cox's night as well last year......

I didnt notice what the terrace system was either......

If the Terrace is too quiet and it effects my enjoyment i wont be staying....

N8 said:
The funktion one system was there for Carl Cox's night as well last year......

I didnt notice what the terrace system was either......

If the Terrace is too quiet and it effects my enjoyment i wont be staying....

I reckon Mr Cox will have the say on how loud the music is on his night.

Back