The Telegraph

A traditional,very establishment right wing/conservative publication.
But it does at least contain news.

your guide to UK national newspapers

The Times is read by the people who run the country
The FT is read by the people who own the country
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country
The Daily Telegraph is read by people who used to run the country
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country
The Daily Mirror is read by people who serve the people who run the country
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country should be run by another country
The Daily Express is read by people who think it already is!
The Sun is read by people who don't care, as long as she has big tits

Olly - funny!

Moha - as noted above, the Telegraph is a politically right-leaning publication.

It competes at the upper tier of UK papers against the Times and left-leaning Guardian and Independent. They use terms such as "quality newspaper" and "broadsheet" (although 2 of the 4 now print in a tabloid-like form instead of broadsheet)

The Saturday edition of the Telegraph, in particular, is one of the best selling "quality" newspapers in the UK.

It's my favorite UK paper despite its political stance because, unlike the Times, it at least tries to get stories right and, unlike the Guardian, it doesn't slant its coverage quite so egregiously.

imo, the guardian website lords it over any other news-based site - if you're young-ish, cultured, educated, city-based and 'know the score', it's the only show in town.

the owners have however incurred massive losses as advertising has not kept up with costs on the site. big redundancies already under way which will inevitably have an adverse effect on quality

The Daily Mail is very well-funded and remains extremely popular, usually with the thickest, nastiest and most mean-spirited people in society

the telegraph have gradually been rebranding for years but ultimately it is still most strongly associated with earls on horseback in the countryside

imo, the guardian website lords it over any other news-based site - if you're young-ish, cultured, educated, city-based and 'know the score', it's the only show in town.

the owners have however incurred massive losses as advertising has not kept up with costs on the site. big redundancies already under way which will inevitably have an adverse effect on quality

The Daily Mail is very well-funded and remains extremely popular, usually with the thickest, nastiest and most mean-spirited people in society

the telegraph have gradually been rebranding for years but ultimately it is still most strongly associated with earls on horseback in the countryside
On the web side of things:

The Guardian was way ahead of everyone else in terms of pouring money into creating a strong website. As a result, up until about 2 years ago, they had by far the largest web readership.

However, over the past 2-3 years, the Mail and Telegraph have poured a lot of resources into their websites. The Mail built theirs from scratch after years of resisting going online, while the Telegraph created a new system for speeding editorial and media onto the site in real time.

At present, the 3 of them are neck-in-neck for online readership. However, keep in mind that the Mail is a mid-market tabloid and thus offers a substantially different product than the Guardian and Telegraph.

Moha said:
Nicely summarized, Morbyd.

This story happened in 2008, the Sun apologized in 2009 but the Telegraph is, still, publishing it in 2010.
These look like separate incidents. The details are different. It's not a repeat of the earlier story.

i used english newspapers for my language classes to illustrate the difference in formal and informal language.

tabloids - short sentences, invented plays on words, contrations, phrasal verbs and so on
broadsheets - sentences with a subject, object and verb, use of the passive voice, more latin based vocabulary and correct spelling (though obviously not in the grauniad)

i used english newspapers for my language classes to illustrate the difference in formal and informal language.

tabloids - short sentences, invented plays on words, contrations, phrasal verbs and so on
broadsheets - sentences with a subject, object and verb, use of the passive voice, more latin based vocabulary and correct spelling (though obviously not in the grauniad)

I used to do this in my classes in Barcelona. They would call it "la prensa sensacionalista" - on a broader point, I often wondered why there was no tabloid equivalent in Spain when people are no less prurient or celeb-obsessed than here - but the women's mags and football papers are pretty strong and eat up a lot of that market and papers are generally less-read all round. I also think the British culture of investigative journalism is far less engrained in Spain - partly a legacy of dictatorship/the church and partly a result of meek newspaper owners being in the pocket of the big institutions. El Pais are the only ones I have any time for. My Gran has read La Vanguardia just about every day since 1939 but I personally think it's crap when there aren't Liga pullouts and giveaways.

Back