The many, many Spanishes.

M

motionpicture

I took this from the villa recommendations thread after I had mentioned Santa Ines:

McRackin said:
motionpicture said:
Sant Agnes in Ibicenco?

santa agnès!! ;)

Ok, Ibicenco has me completly confused. In Catalan, it would be Sant Agnes I think (catalunyans please correct me). Is Ibicenco right in the middle of Castillian and Catalan?

And how does Valenciano fit into all this?

What we need...

<drum roll>

is a cunning linguist

<grabs coat>

motionpicture said:
In Catalan, it would be Sant Agnes I think (catalunyans please correct me)

no. sant is male and santa is female. agnès is a female name so its santa agnès!! :D

motionpicture said:
Is Ibicenco right in the middle of Castillian and Catalan?

ibicenco (and valenciano) are dialects from catalan!! ;)

McRackin said:
ibicenco (and valenciano) are dialects from catalan!! ;)

I know there's a relationship, but ibicenco y valenciano are closer than catala to castiliano, right?

And correct me (again) if I'm wrong, but don't valencianos and ibicencos get quite irate if you call their "language" a "dialect"? ;)

I can't edit this but:

CATALAN-VALENCIAN-BALEAR: a language of Spain

Population 6,472,828 mother tongue speakers (1996), plus 5,000,000 second or third language speakers in Spain (1994 La Generalitat de Catalunya). Population total all countries 6,565,000 or more. Including second language users: 10,000,000 (1999 WA).
Region Northeastern Spain, around Barcelona; Catalonia, Valencia Provinces, Balearic Islands, region of Carche, Murcia Province. Menorquin is on Menorca. Pallarese, a subdialect of Northwestern Catalan, is in Pallars. Ribagorçan, another subdialect extends from the Valley of Aran to the south of Tamarit, and from the Noguera Ribagorçana to the border with Aragonese. Also spoken in Algeria, Andorra, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela.
Alternate names CATALÀ, CATALÁN, BACAVÈS, CATALONIAN
Dialects CATALAN-ROUSILLONESE (NORTHERN CATALÁN), VALENCIAN (VALENCIANO, VALENCIÀ), BALEARIC (BALEAR, INSULAR CATALAN, MALLORQUI, MENORQUI, EIVISSENC), CENTRAL CATALAN, ALGHERESE, NORTHWESTERN CATALAN (PALLARESE, RIBAGORÇAN, LLEIDATÀ, AIGUAVIVAN).

Classification Indo-European, Italic, Romance, Italo-Western, Western, Gallo-Iberian, Ibero-Romance, East Iberian.

Comments The standard variety is a literary composite which no one speaks, based on several dialects. Pallarese and Ribogorçan dialects are less similar to standard Catalan. Benasquese and Aiguavivan people live in isolated valleys and have a distinct phonology from their neighbors. Tortosin may be closer to Valencian. Central Catalan has about 90% to 95% inherent intelligibility to speakers of Valencian (R.A. Hall, Jr., 1989). Written Catalan is closest to Barcelona speech. Central Catalan has 87% lexical similarity with Italian, 85% with Portuguese and Spanish, 76% with Rheto-Romance, 75% with Sardinian, 73% with Rumanian. Bilingualism in Spanish, French, Italian, Sard, Occitan. All domains. All ages. Official language. Dictionary. Grammar. Literacy rate in first language: 60%. Literacy rate in second language: 96%. The high literacy in Catalan (60%) is recent. Pallarese and Ribogorçan speakers have less education, less contact with the standard, and live in high valleys of the Pyrenees. Some Valencian speakers desire separate literature. Radio programs, TV. Christian, secular. Bible 1478-1993.

This website is excellent for researching languages and language families, this page tells you all about the different forms and dialects of Spanish:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=Spain

X

Wow. Everything I was looking for and more.

Thanks a lot. Muy interesante!

:)

Back