The Kooks + Fickle Friends + Callum Beattie @ Ibiza Rocks Hotel, 05-09-17

McRackin

Super Moderator
And the last one...

Two days ago it was announced that the singer and songwriter from Edinburgh Callum Beattie was added to the bill. Not only he opened for The Kooks but he also played at the Ibiza Rocks Bar on monday and at Sol House's Rooftop Nine today during the sunset.

The last minute addition was a nice surprise. The short acoustic set of the up and coming star included his most recent single "Man Behind The Sun", two songs from the EP We Are Stars (2017) and two new songs, including "San Antonio" written in honour of Sant Antoni De Portmany. Used as we are to the negativity that surrounds this town, it would be great if the song's positive theme turned into some sort of hymn in the future.

His debut album Lights In Stereo should be released later this year by 3Beat/Universal and it has been produced by Ken Nelson (Coldplay, Paolo Nutini, etc).

P1370138+-+copia+edit.jpeg

When Fickle Friends played at the Ibiza Rocks Bar two summers ago presenting their debut EP Velvet (2015) I already predicted it was just a matter of time until they did it at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel.

Since then the Brighton five-piece has released a few singles and another EP called Glue (2017). For their second gig on the island, the band gave us a taste of their synth-pop sound and feel good vibes with songs like "Brooklyn", "Hello Hello", "Glue", "Velvet", "Say No More" or "Swim" that makes them one of the most hotly-tipped new bands out there. Special mention to the singer Natassja Shiner who spent the whole time dancing all over the stage.

Their debut album, to be published in early 2018 by Polydor Records, has been produced by Mike Crossey who worked with many Ibiza Rocks' favourites: Arctic Monkeys, Ben Howard, Foals, Keane, Jake Bugg, The 1975, The Courteeners, The Enemy, The View, Two Door Cinema Club, Wolf Alice... and even The Kooks. Say no more.

P1370202+-+copia+edit.jpeg

Joan Guitart Matas aka Elektrik can be found behind the decks at Rock Nights often. Apart from Pikes, last night the dj from Gerona also warmed up for Luke Pritchard and co.

P1370321+-+copia.JPG

The Kooks have been part of the Ibiza Rocks family since it all began in 2005 (one of their first gigs outside of the UK, as the frontman mentions in the recent interview for Ibiza Spotlight, coming back in 2009, 2010 and 2014.

The Leeds band is touring in support of their career-spanning album The Best Of... So Far (2017) and that's exactly what we got. After the intro ("Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones), they took the stage and it was time to hear live once again hits like "Always Where I Need To Be", "Eddie's Gun", "You Don't Love Me", "Sofa Song", "Bad Habit", "She Moves In Her Own Way", "Ooh La", "Seaside" (still my favourite), "Junk Of The Heart (Happy)" or "Naïve" and also the brand new single "Be Who You Are", one of the two new tracks included in the compilation.

A fabulous way to finish season 2017.

P1370345+-+copia+edit.jpeg

If being the last one of the season wasn't sad enough, yesterday Ibiza Rocks founder Andy McKay was interviewed by
IB3 TV and Diario De Ibiza and he confirmed what I've been hearing during the last weeks but didn't want to believe: this was probably the last ever live gig at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel due to San Antonio's strict laws and lack of support... if true, end of an era but I'm grateful to have been able to be part of it week after week. The optimist in me would like to think there will be more live music in that venue but too many things will have to change for that to happen. Due to the ineptitude of the local council, interesting initiatives like the Bloop International Proactive Art Festival or the Sueños De Libertad music festival had to leave San Antonio and move to Ibiza town, where they're more receptive to this kind of alternatives (not that the previous politicians were much better, let's remember what happened to the short-lived Ibiza 123 Rocktronic Festival).

Callum Beattie said:
Massive congrats to @ficklefriends for smashing it in Ibiza last night. Was a pleasure to meet you!

DJDWd39XkAANCe4.jpg

Fickle Friends said:
Thank you for a mental night @ibizarocks

DJCVRQeXoAQioJr.jpg

The Kooks said:
Such a dream night at @ibizarocks.

DJDv4AJUwAE2AoX.jpg

Luke Pritchard said:
Thank you to all who came to see our show the other night, massive love and respect to @ibizarocks for another special, emotional show and few days on the island!! We love ya dearly! Bless!!!!

21373091_280931085724608_2892745965180026880_n.jpg

Pete Denton said:
How to cram a 2 week holiday into 3 days... just ask this lot!

21373206_124709198181139_7771492775194787840_n.jpg

CALLUM BEATTIE SETLIST:
Man Behind The Sun
Wanderlust
We Are Stars
Braveheart
San Antonio

THE KOOKS SETLIST:
Always Where I Need To Be
Eddie's Gun
You Don't Love Me
Sofa Song