Lounge:
Hosted by Soundas
Josh Chancer
Dan Perin
Lancealot & Tristen Gleed
Dounglas Marfedini
Mateus Gregianin
Richy & Chinner

We always like to LARGE it on the final Friday of the month at The Gallery, and this week’s affair is no exception as we bring an altogether different line-up to the floor on Friday 27th February with the highly anticipated return of the legendary Timo Maas. For those who don’t know, Timo made his UK Debut at The Gallery around 10 years ago, held then of course at Turnmills and went onto establish himself as one of world’s hottest new DJ/Producers over the next few years. Looking back to hazy nights, Timo recalls his early sets at The Gallery, “Amazing… there was only this little window in the booth, and you couldn’t see anything from the dancefloor or the club. After my set I realised a full-on rocking club but didn’t see anything of it! They were always great parties and crowds… very mixed and open minded.”

Early releases ‘Ubik’ and ‘Der Schreiber’ remain Gallery anthems to this day, but it was also through his ‘Music for Maases’ compilation series (released with Oakenfold at Perfecto), and his acclaimed artist album ‘Loud’ (spawning the singles ‘To Get Down’ and ‘Help Me’) that helped propel Timo into the superstardom bracket and DJ A-list. Timo’s remix of Azzido Da Bass’ ‘Dooms Night’ remains a modern day classic and coupled with re-working’s for Fatboy Slim, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Muse and Placebo (amongst many others) made him the remixer of choice for those in the know. Since those early days, Timo has played all the over the globe, taking in the biggest clubs and festivals, an Ibiza residency at DC10 and until recently, his own regular night (99%) at The End. On the production front, he’s just started a new imprint called Rockets & Ponies with first release ‘Chinese Massage’ causing some serious damage and coming soon is a new artist album, a covermount CD for Mixmag, plus follow ups for the likes of Cocoon and Connaissaur. Pretty busy then huh?! As a DJ, these days Timo describes his sound as “dark, trippy & funky electronic music, with loads of new material!” We’re so excited in fact to have him back, that we asked Timo to recommend some DJs to join him for this big night. He duly obliged... “I’ve known Oliver (Huntemann) since 1992, a phenomena in reinventing himself. Great guy, very good music… top! Santos is my new partner in crime in case of productions… so we’ll have a lot of fresh sound that night!!!”

Indeed, joining Timo in the mighty Ministry Box will be fellow producer extraordinaire’s Oliver Huntemann andSantos. Fellow countryman Huntemann has been there since the beginning. Brought up in the North German countryside, Oliver was once in the German navy for six years, where he learned how to be an electrician. But the military drills and discipline couldn’t keep him from spending all of his money for records and going to parties. Huntemann started organising his first techno parties in the late eighties. His first project Humate released their first record in 1992 on the cult label MFS, the first of many records and projects. He’s released on Confused, Spezial Music, Toscana, Alphabet City, Gigolo and Giant Wheel not to mention his own labels. More recently Huntemann has built the Super 8 Studio together with Stephan Bodzin, with whom he releases under the “anonymous” banner of Rekorder, plus he also releases on Dance Electric under his own name. Seeing as Huntemann doesn’t play too often in London, this really is a rare chance to witness both him and Timo together playing on that killer soundsystem at MOS!! Italian stallion Santos is another clubland veteran and currently Timo’s studio partner (they work together as ‘Mutant Clan’. 1998, he scooped Top 10 Chart success in the UK with cult tune ‘Camels’ and like Timo, Santos had the honour of remixing Fatboy Slim and Armand van Helden along the way. These days he’s also releasing fresh beats for the likes of Connaissaur and Cocoon and this special Ministry date will be his first UK set of 2009.

Keeping in sync with the musical alliance in the Box, the Bar will be keeping up appearances with another deadly dancefloor workout from Timo Garcia’s Berwick Street Sessions, which put on a number of killer parties in the Bar in 2008. For this next adventure former Ministry of Sound resident Smokin’ Jo (NaatyDirtySexMusic and Nude) will be making a big impression with her new live project TRNSSTR, a lush new tech-house sound partnered by Pete Gleadall and complete with rather mental visuals!! TRNSSTR are pretty hotly tipped for 2009, so don’t miss this exclusive live performance. Completing the Bar line-up will be old skool master Kenny Hawkes, who’s still going strong, plus Berwick’s main man Timo Garcia and warm upper David Murtagh. Meanwhile, Gallery resident Gavyn Mytchel warms things up in the Box with Glory Hole hosting the Baby Box and Soundas debuting in the Lounge.

10.30pm–7 am
Ministry of Sound, 103 Gaunt Street, London, SE16DP
Capacity: 1,500 // Tube: Elephant & Castle
Contact: 020 7247 4121 // 020 7740 8627 // info@thegallery-club.co.uk

Prices: Members £10 // NUS £10 B4 12am // £12 Advance
£15 on the door // £6 after 3am

Advanced Tickets:
www.ministryofsound.com/tickets
www.ticketweb.co.uk - 08700 600 100
www.viewtickets.co.uk
www.residentadvisor.net

www.thegallery-club.co.uk
www.ministryofsound.com/club
www.myspace.com/thegalleryclubuk

Gallery_090227FFLOW.jpg

TIMO MAAS INTERVIEW

We spoke to The Gallery big headline star Timo Maas about returning to the club where he made his UK debut all those years ago...

TG: Hey Timo. Where are you in the world right now?

TM: I’m at home at the mo…

TG: After a few years away, you’ll be returning to The Gallery in 2009. Are you looking forward to playing with us again?

TM: Sure… as we had many amazing parties over the years, I’m very much looking forward!

TG: You’ve handpicked the line-up for your February appearance, featuring Oliver Huntemann, Santos and Behrouz... what can you tell us about each of them and why you choose these 3 DJs to join you on the night?

TM: Well Oliver I know since 1992, a phenomena in reinventing himself. Great guy, very good music… top! Behrouz is also an old homie (just remixed his track…) and Santos is my new partner in crime in case of productions… so we’ll have a lot of fresh sound that night!!!

TG: Where would you say your DJ sets are at musically these days?

TM: Dark, trippy & funky electronic music, with loads of new material!

TG: You made your UK debut at The Gallery, Turnmills, way back in 2001 (?) – what are your memories of that night?

TM: I made my FIRST night at The Gallery back in 1995, when it was still Eurobeat 2000. Amazing… there was only this little window in the booth, and u couldn’t see anything from the dancefloor or the club. After my set I realised a full-on rocking club but didn`t see anything of it J

TG: You then played at Turnmills for many years – do you have fond memories of playing at the club?

TM: Always great parties and crowds… very mixed and open minded

TG: Since that first night at Turnmills, you’ve been a regular on the London club scene ever since. How has it changed over the years, and how do you see it in today’s clubbing climate?

TM: Old clubs close, change location… new clubs come… it’s a continuous change, but London is still one of the most important cities for electronic music worldwide!!!!

TG: Have you ever played at Ministry of Sound before? If so when, and what did you think?

TM: Yes mate… last one is about 4 years ago and was also a blast!

TG: Was 2008 a good year for you?

TM: Yes definitely. I’m making more new music than ever, changed my team for good and that inspires me a lot!

TG: Who or what inspires you these days – whether musically or otherwise?

TM: First of all my wife and daughter. My family is the strongest thing in my life ever!

TG: You’ve made some amazing music in your career including the smash hit album Loud. Tracks like Ubik and Der Schreiber are still Gallery anthems to this day... do you ever drop any of these early releases in your sets nowadays?

TM: Not too many, I don’t want to rely on the old stuff… as I said, I play a lot of my new music.

TG: Which track of yours are you most proud of?

TM: Everything really…!

TG: You’ve remixed some massive artists from Madonna to Fatboy Slim, Muse and Depeche Mode... do you have a dream artist you’d love to remix – dead or alive?

TM: I would like to touch some classical or jazzy stuff at a certain point, re-interpret!

TG: How’s your 99% label going?

TM: Actually… it never really existed ;) But I just started a new imprint called ROCKETS & PONIES… the first release CHINESE MASSAGE is causing some serious damage at the mo with the big-players!

TG: What does 2009 hold for Timo Maas?

TM: A lot of new music. New album and also a brand new Mixmag Covermount CD… plus follow-ups for Connaisseur, Cocoon etc etc.

THE GALLERY PODCAST 64: TIMO MAAS

A hot new mix from the Mutant Clan man and returning hero of The Gallery. Timo made his UK debut with us many moons ago and returns this Friday having handpicked his supporting guests of Oliver Huntemann and Santos. Enjoy...

DOWNLOAD THE MIX HERE...

http://www.thegallery-club.co.uk/podcast.aspx

I'm possibly going to this but not that sure on the DJ's.

What sort of music does Timo Maas play? I have looked for some live sets of his but there is no pounding mixes, all seems a bit dull and unclubby.

Huntemann sounds good though.

Back