The Footy (2013-2014 Season)

Half get it, even as an Arsenal fan, though I can't understand the problem with Henry?

terry henry, a guy i'd never tire of punching..i'd love to va va voom him in the head with a bat.

although i will say the sneaky cheating bastard putting the irish out the world cup qualifiers was hilarious. (well not for the irish, but for everyone else:)

arsenal have had a load of sneaky cheating bastards the last 20+yrs though..guys who think they are immune from being tackled, but are quite prone to leaving the foot in and try to do other people. (whilst wenger misses it of course)

bergkamp another big example of this...great player, but a sneaky cheating c***.

Seeing as we're on the topic of Arsene/Arsenal bashing, I'll get involved. Always seems to be trying to build a team for 4-5 year's time, and failing. He makes a point of trying to buy the best up and coming talents, then completely fail to develop them properly. Walcott will never become the star he should've done, spent too long at a crucial time in his career not playing competitive football. Ditto Ramsay (I know he had injuries but before that...). I'm sure Alex Ox-C won't be as good as he could've been with continuous first team football.

Yea, I'm slightly bitter about Wenger always being in for our best players, but also I've seen wha has happened with a great young player who stayed at Saints despite well documented interest from Wenger. Morgan Schneiderlin is 23 and has over 170 first team appearances for Saints since his debut at 18 years old, has worked his way through the leagues and was Saints' Player and Player's player of the season in our first back in the Prem last season. He wouldn't be half the player he is today without that education and playing time.

Makes you wonder if those amazing Wenger signings of the late 90's and early 00's were just slightly flukey, he's signed plenty of flops since.

jack, what do you make of bale going to real?

how much cash do saints get from that deal?

(ironic that wenger signed other saints players, but not the one who has went on to break the transfer record!...unlucky arsene:)

Saints get nothing from Spurs. It was a 25% fee but they needed cash when in financial trouble a few years back. Took £3m at the time.

jack, what do you make of bale going to real?

how much cash do saints get from that deal?

(ironic that wenger signed other saints players, but not the one who has went on to break the transfer record!...unlucky arsene:)

Disappointed that the best players here want to leave for Spain, but I do think he needs to be at a club who are going to challenge for titles and the Champions League.

Evo is right, we did a deal with Spurs for the remaining instalment money up front, which also waived the sell-on fee. Shame, but those sorts of deals kept us in business for a while, and I guess allowed us to survive long enough to be rescued by the Markus Leibherr (RIP). Seems to have worked out well, and we're now in a position to keep hold of our youngsters for more than a few months after they break through. Luke Shaw is class already and only just 18, James Ward Prowse and Calum Chambers have both started all 3 of our prem games despite only being 18 too, and have both been around the England youth teams for years. Exciting stuff, and we've got a chairman who will now gladly put any derisory Arsenal offers straight in the bin.

Last edited:
i've got a really unhealthy dislike for arsenal...kind of everything wrong with modern football i kinda put on them for some reason, could be thierry henry / the 'fashionable' middle classes / guardian readers coming into it, fever pitxh (although to be fair to hornby he was a real fan of his team), 'the emirates', the price of tickets for the emirates, wenger himself....i could go on.

I've always considered them everything right with modern football! And that's from a Spurs fan!

Wenger was one match away (Champo final) from a managerial achievement unparalleled in the modern era (winning the CL without buying it).

It's the financial heavyweights that have ruined the game IMO. It all means so little any more - especially when this country has had 2 summers being blessed with unbelieveable achievements and ascendancy in other sports.

Anybody else hate the International break? Look forward to the weekend, off work, kick back and watch the football with a few drinks, only for it to be ruined with Internationals.

Photo-6.png

Early favourites have to be Chelsea at the moment.

They put in a very poor performance against United. Just came and parked the bus. IMO United are firm favourites.

Won the league last year with an easy 11pt margin. Young squad has only gained experience. The arrivals of Zaha & Fellaini to strengthen midfield. Kagawa and Rooney back fit. Vidic back fit. Still the team to beat for me.

Back