The Disco Thread

Hitting the weekend with a load of Pretorian edits. Lots of well-known classics over 10 minutes, but it never gets dull. Love the artwork as well

hopef some kind soul will upload to youtube. Or i’ll try and vpn. Never tire of disco docs. Aside from all the social history the bit that really interests me on a musical level is 79-82, between the ‘disco sucks’ nonsense and the emergence of the new wave and eventually madonna at the danceteria and the proto-house sound

Did anyone watch this last night?

can i just say , speaking as a young man in the 70's, that i never, ever went to a disco that played:
popcorn
love is the message
love's theme
i will survive

The thing is everyone's definition of disco is different. For some it is strictly the music that emerged out of Philly, for others New York, for others Italy or France or some other cosmic beyond, for others it was the emergence of Hi-NRG, for others it was Bee Gees, for others it was getting down to YMCA with your grandma at someone's wedding. The truth is it was/is all of these. The only difference is how seriously you took it and how deep you wanted to get. The chances are the office workers who only skimmed the surface with the comedy wigs, have no inkling of the social and political struggles, Stonewall, liberation and all the rest of it. Which is why diehards get a bit prickly about it.

Back