The Call

Tom cartwright

Decided to take my first trip to Ibiza last September. I'm 54 and have been holidaying mostly on the Costa's for the past 30 years.

Now even though I'm getting on a bit, I love dance music (most genres) much to the annoyance of my kids and this is one of the reasons I wanted to visit.

I had no intention of going to clubs but just planned on going to a couple of beach bars for a few drinks and chilling out.

Anyway went to San Antonio middle of September, just me and my wife, hired a car and basically visited all 4 corners of the Island.

Absolutely gutted we had not visited earlier, we loved the place. Literally the best place I have ever visited. I know I should get out more but everything suited me. I love exploring and basically everything is within a 30 minutes drive. It was fantastic.

Stayed in Estanyol on the bay and loved this area. Plenty of little bars and eateries, lovely walk into San Antonio where we discovered Ritas and the Skinny Kitchen amongst others.

Mambo was fantastic (I’m a grumpy old man) the sunset was spectacular.

I read quite a bit on Ibiza before we visited and tutted constantly at the people spouting on about Ibiza having a force, a call that pulls you back (I’m not very spiritual). I thought what a load of rubbish, hippie nonsense.

It's true though, unbelievably true.

We couldn't wait to return. I scoured the internet for winter flights but they only seem to go from London so we abandoned winter plans.

We returned to San Antonio end of June but this time with my 17-year-old son and his mate in tow. This time though because of the amount of people in the resort and lack of sleep due to our apprentice clubbers the experience wasn't quite as good but I still loved the place.

The Call is already back and I can't wait to return but i think early or late season will be the norm for us in the future.

My first trip was at 22, and I was hooked. I knew it was a fun place prior to going. Back then I was just out of college right around 2000 and there was a TV program in the US called "E! Wild On" where the beautiful Brooke Burke was showing Americans what a great time you Brits were having. I had friends that did the study-abroad in Spain and reported back that they had the time of their lives. A couple of years later, I scored a job with a UK company that sent me to Derbyshire for six months and I was just a quick hop away. On that 2003 trip I was there for only 3 days or so but the place left quite the impression. On that same trip I was joined by a friend from the states, and while he enjoyed himself, I don't think he "got it". I even went back with another friend in 05' (5 days) and while he enjoyed it it was not a rabid fan like I am. I think you either get the energy of the place (it actually "gets you") or you don't.

Fortunately, my wife was hooked instantly and I no longer feel silly for feeling the way that I do about the place. The guys that I visited the island with years before were shocked that I went there with my wife, due to the type of partying we did when we were there as singles. For me, I had an even better time with my wife, as we both enjoy people-watching. We have gone together 2x (10' & 12'), about ten days each time. The place has a certain energy that is hard to put finger on. I have though about and think that it has something to do with the youth and hedonism of the place. It is infectious and makes you more relaxed and happy. I live in the tropics, on an island, which has beaches that are "nicer" than those on Ibiza but I think there is no comparison if I was given a choice. I would choose an Ibizan beach any day of the week (in summer).

We have not been back since the birth of our two kids. We decided to bring our sons next year (almost 1 & 5 when we go), to see if the place still holds its magic. I am sure it will, but I am curious to how it will change with (small) kids. This time we will be there for 20 days, our longest trip yet. We will split our time, staying in Portinatx for 10 days followed by 10 in San An, with a rental car the entire time.

Last edited:
Back