The best location to view Es Vedra

dj_steve

Hi everyone

Thinking of hiring a jeep this year and taking a drive into the hills with a some drinks and a little sun set picnic with Es Vedra in the back ground...

Any suggestions on the best location to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Take the road to Cala d'Hort and when you get here (where the Red marker is on the map below) [https://goo.gl/maps/ea2kO - Google map] take the road marked in Blue road and you can park up near a track that leads you to a cliff top opening [labeled [1] on the bottom map]

caladhort.png

Park here

park.png

hike out to the large opening area below [1]

7986727347_053bab9a00_z.jpg

which is about 10-15 min down the track you can see on the map below (beside the Red arrow)

esvedra.png

from there you can continue upwards to the pirate tower [2]

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Es Vedra is not an ordinary rock.

In 1855 a Friar came there to pray and experienced strange and powerful visions.

The island is said to be home to sirens and sea-nymphs, who tried to lure Odysseus from his ship.

I have been told the island has a very strong magnetic force (the 3rd strongest in the world) and this has affected the compass on passing ships and planes. I heard fishing boats keep away from the island and have reported strange circles of light.

In 1972 a passenger jet flew over Es Vedra and the magnetic force caused the plane's instruments to malfunction. The plane crashed in Ibiza killing 104 people.

In 1979 a passenger jet had to make an emergency landing when the pilot saw a strange light over Es Vedra. He called SOS and quickly changed course.

Es Vedra is also thought of as the holy island of the Phoenician Lunar Goddess, who was worshipped as the Goddess of fertility. Legend has it that sacrifices were made on the island during full moons. There is also a story of a giant who lived on the island, hiding in the caves.

People have claimed to have seen UFOs flying around the island. Some even believe there is a secret UFO base inside!

2€ To Watch Sunset.
"Having painted and cleaned the historic pirate look out tower, called “La Torre D’es Savinar”, located on the Sant Josep coast in front of Es Vedrá island, it was reported in social media that the owners are now charging residents and tourists alike 2€ to go up to the flat roof of the tower and enjoy the natural beauty of the view. Shoes have to be taken off to access the interior of the tower where apparently trinkets are now on sale."
Source: theibizan.com

Anyone have any more news on this?!

I feel a bit sick. My last wish if I passed on was for my ashes to be scattered off the top of the tower, the place I've felt most at peace when there's no-one there. Needless to say the will's getting changed tomorrow. May as well turn the "cave" into a clothes boutique with a "get your overpriced bikinis here" sign whilst they're at it. FFS. Very soon there'll be nowhere left untouched by money-makers in Ibiza. Seriously on the verge of calling it a day with the island. When all this spills out into remoter areas I start looking at my watch and wondering whether to call "time out" ....

wow. I hadn't heard about this yet. but the fact is, YES, the towers are privately owned and not by the state. the one in cala conta is like a house inside and the owners are using it as a holiday home for a few weeks a year.

obviously very sad for torre d'es savinar though!

... fact is, YES, the towers are privately owned and not by the state! ...
unreal that such a place can be privately owned

ps:
not to mention that asshole who "owns" tagomago !

Reactions: ric
How exactly does someone get into the position where they own a tower?!??

Back