Teetotal

I've just managed 3weeks (not by choice) and that was hard enough. Fair play if you go ahead with it but it aint happening for me:lol:

I've just managed 3weeks (not by choice) and that was hard enough. Fair play if you go ahead with it but it aint happening for me:lol:

I couldn't manage a week, so well done. I tend not to drink during the week, but no steak/lamb with red wine on a Friday. Unthinkable...

There's a brewdog beer called nanny state - non alcoholic...supposed to be best non alcoholic craft beer out there. If it really is that good and I could get away with supping that would be a massive help.

But yeah, love craft beer myself. IPA all day/night long!

I have to done it once for a month for macmillion. Its very interesting, after a few weeks I felt like I could do more than i usually would, it was refreshing waking up on the weekend not feeling groggy and obviously doing my bit for charity.

My social life is around the drink, raves, football, and going out in general so it was hard at first. I dont drink in the week, just weekends.

I saved alot of money by not drinking, driving to pubs where i would normally get a taxi and just going on non alcoholic or squash (dont like fizzy stuff)

In feb this year I done it for 3 weeks as I normally have a month off in Jan anyway but didnt this year coz I was on holiday.

I love a good drink but like people have said , once you have abit more than you should, Its hard to stop so I then go on a bender, which in turn leads to bad decision making which I regret the morning after.

Fair play if you do go for a whole year, thats some will power. The question would be, would you start drinking after you've completed it?

Im a social drinker and a i binge. I drink to get drunk and thats it maybe one night on the weekend(bottle of wine with a meal out every now and then being an exception). Unless im going out on a bender i dont touch a drop hardly, mainly because there arent any alcoholic drinks that i would choose to drink over a non alcoholic drink taste wise. A fruit cider possibly in the summer but that would be the missus buying them i wouldnt choose to buy them myself.

I do enjoy getting drunk and makes social meetings better for me as im not the most confident.

Oddly though i can and have gone clubbing on my todd absolutely sober and i dont take drugs and have great nights and chat to loads of people. I think that just being with like minded people and no one knowing me and judging me helps to allow me to express myself that bit more.

The thing i hate about drinking is when ive gone past being drunk and got into a 'state', i did suffer badly the following day with the fear, anxiety, guilt and like someone else said all this even knowing ive done nothing wrong.

Ive addressed it though and i just make sure i dont get in a 'state' anymore by steering clear of certain drinks/shots that dont agree with me, and i realised i needed to drink some water occasionally when on a long session and it seems to be working.

Last edited:
functioning alcoholics v bingers

worth adding that the nightmare tourists/stags/football fans that go abroad in numbers aren't generally-speaking alcoholics - they're just numbskulls who can't hold their drink

Checking into the teetotal thread off a the back of a stag weekend at the races in Liverpool - hi!

Last edited:
So, a typical example of me yesterday.
We are at the family caravan in Abersoch in North Wales, first proper night last night.
Had late lunch of Paella, "shall we have some wine?"
"Wine not" (pardon the pun)
Whole 14% Rioja done.
Walked the terrorists, went to some relatives on site who were not in. "Shall we go for a quick pint?"
Went to the bar over the road, 5 pints of Guinness later returned to caravan moments before daughter was going to report us missing. More wine with a very late stir fry.
Very muzzy head today and feelings of why?

So, a typical example of me yesterday.
We are at the family caravan in Abersoch in North Wales, first proper night last night.
Had late lunch of Paella, "shall we have some wine?"
"Wine not" (pardon the pun)
Whole 14% Rioja done.
Walked the terrorists, went to some relatives on site who were not in. "Shall we go for a quick pint?"
Went to the bar over the road, 5 pints of Guinness later returned to caravan moments before daughter was going to report us missing. More wine with a very late stir fry.
Very muzzy head today and feelings of why?

That sounds like a nice spontaneous good drink. Often resulting in having a good time from my experience.

There's a brewdog beer called nanny state - non alcoholic...supposed to be best non alcoholic craft beer out there. If it really is that good and I could get away with supping that would be a massive help.

But yeah, love craft beer myself. IPA all day/night long!

Not quite non-alcoholic. 0.5% but still not a bad substitute personally, had a few over christmas last year when I was driver.

Also Lagunitas is a lovely drop, but unfortunately got me in a lot of trouble in Miami. 8 hours of drinking cocktails / spirits with the missus. Fancied a beer, ended up having 2 pints (5.9% I think?) very quickly... hour later hugging the toilet!

Also Lagunitas is a lovely drop, but unfortunately got me in a lot of trouble in Miami. 8 hours of drinking cocktails / spirits with the missus. Fancied a beer, ended up having 2 pints (5.9% I think?) very quickly... hour later hugging the toilet!

Cor its punchier than that, think it gets on for 7%...I've made the mistake of going onto that after a few pints before but it is a lovely beer!

I can level with you guys now as we've had all the scans and everything now. My Mrs is pregnant with our first and that's why I've been re-assesing all this in terms of health and drinking etc....I'm not a raging alcoholic but I've always been a heavy drinker and a binge drinker in younger years. I've been thinking if I've got a baby coming and moving house etc I'm going to have enough on my plate as it is and its a great excuse to have a year off - it is true that I've always been keen to have an extended break but not had the willpower in recent years. I expect that I'll naturally be going out a lot less - almost never for the first months anyway - and not a big home drinker, so I expect it'll naturally reduce a lot anyway....I'll let you know if I decide to go full nuclear!

Thanks for all the input/opinions its nice to see some interesting points raised as well as messages of support - thanks to all that have contributed!

Last edited:
Cor its punchier than that, think it gets on for 7%...I've made the mistake of going onto that after a few pints before but it is a lovely beer!

I can level with you guys now as we've had all the scans and everything now. My Mrs is pregnant with our first and that's why I've been re-assesing all this in terms of health and drinking etc....I'm not a raging alcoholic but I've always been a heavy drinker and a binge drinker in younger years. I've been thinking if I've got a baby coming and moving house etc I'm going to have enough on my plate as it is and its a great excuse to have a year off - it is true that I've always been keen to have an extended break but not had the willpower in recent years. I expect that I'll naturally be going out a lot less - almost never for the first months anyway - and not a big home drinker, so I expect it'll naturally reduce a lot anyway....I'll let you know if I decide to go full nuclear!

Thanks for all the input/opinions its nice to see some interesting points raised as well as messages of support - thanks to all that have contributed!

Congrats!

Back