Technical help needed please...mixer cables

I-Spy

I have bought a Cortex HDC 3000 harddrive controller, a Numark pre-amp mixer and a pioneer speaker set which has a powered sub woofer and 3 smaller speakers to run off it.
This is what the back of the mixer looks like:

The Cortex has 2 RCA pairs cables leaving it one pair for each side.
Thing is..where do they go?
Also where does the speaker plug into.
Does everything need to run off RCA cables or do I need different ones.
Please bear in mind with any answers...that I don't have a clue of what I'm doing here.. just try and imaginge that you are trying to explain it to your 85 year gran or something.
I have tried a few combinations already, but only can get a real deep bassy thud from the woofer and nothing from the smaller speakers.
Bit nervous of trying anything else in case it blows up.
Thanks in advance

connect your rca cables to the line inputs of the channels you want to use on your mixer... line 2 is fader 2 etc. If you had turntables you'd connect them to the phono inputs, make sure your channels are switched to line obviously.

as for the speakers, im a bit confused, is the sub connected to the speakers at all?

Ok Phil, I had already had those cables plugged in as you said.
Now the speaker system plugs in the mains, so it seems to have a built in amp.
Then each of the smaller speakers have 2 wires coming out.
The back of the big sub woofer with the power lead attached looks like this;
I have tried with an RCA lead from the mixer in various plug holes on mixer to the two holes on the speaker. And have had the small speakers connected in what I think looks right(but maybe isn't). All I have manged to get sound wise is a real low deep thump out of the woofer and nothing from the small ones. Thanks mate.

n584880850_1213876_6768.jpg

Don't suppose me throwing the thing out of the window is going to help.
Have now tried every lead in every possible position....twice
Fed up with it.

The smaller speakers should be connected to your amp / powered speaker by speaker wire , not RCA or Jack leads , just to get that clear. Ive no experience with powered speakers so have been abit confused by this thread , a normal setup ive always come across is phono / xlr out of Master on mixer into a channel on an amp then attatch any speakers to amp using speaker wire and thats it . If the Sub is the amp then attach the other speakers to it with speaker wire that you twist under those orange and black covers. The Line In on the sub looks like a Jack connection rather than phono from what i can see (like a headphones socket?)

I have a feeling that the amp in the sub is faulty as I have tried all the suggestions above and nothing worked.
The sockets on the sub are RCA and not a jack.
Thanks guys, anyway.

Me too...

I had someone come around today to look at it and they said to put a two into one RCA lead from the mixer into the Line level input RCA socket on the speaker. But it still didn't work.
I would have it being Pioneer it would be using a common system.

Last edited by a moderator:
im assuming you wire up the top two red and black thingmybobs to your other speakers

how you get the audio in there, i have absolutely no idea.

who did you buy them from? can't you ask them??

i also just noticed, it has 3 speakers to run off them???

was it previously used for dj purposes???

Me too...

I had someone come around today to look at it and they said to put a two into one RCA lead from the mixer into the Line level input RCA socket on the speaker. But it still didn't work.
I would have it being Pioneer it would be using a common system.
Thats because the RCA input/output sockets are for coaxial digital input/output!

You need to connect the mixer L & R outputs to the lower red & black inputs. The small speaker wires should connect to the upper red and black outputs.

Thats because the RCA input/output sockets are for coaxial digital input/output!

You need to connect the mixer L & R outputs to the lower red & black inputs. The small speaker wires should connect to the upper red and black outputs.

Are you saying that I need a coaxial RCA cable to go from mixer as well?
I have just tried connecting the L+R outputs to the lower red and blacks but still nothing.
The guy I bought it from doesn't know either, as it had been in his storage last year and somebody else had set it up for him previously. He was running it with a couple of decks. I am going to try again this morning but if no good, will have to give it all back to him.

did the speaker system cost u much? If i remember you wanted it for home use , u could get away with using something much simpler it would seem

I got the mixer and speaker system for 200 euros.
But I think I will take it back to the guy today.

Well, the idea behind all this is that I want to learn how to DJ and mix properly.
I might have to move to Costa Rica in February and thought I might be albe to blag it over there as some kind of Ibiza DJ to have some fun playing.
I am also thinking about putting a kind of sunset bar over on the carribean coast there.
I am also thinking about running a 50ft sailboat out of there going around Boca del Toro in Panama and up as far as the Nicaraguan coast with charters. A kind of Ibiza related theme to it all.
The way the prices are going up in Europe, £ = Euro 1.20 etc and airfares not as cheap as they were together with the increasing lack of freedom to party I am thinking that it could have appeal. It might not be much more expensive for people from the UK.
Anyway...It looks as though I will have to go there anyway, so I'm trying to come up with a plan.
Thought I might get a bit further than not being able plug in the fcuking stereo.....

Back