superstar dj's (here we go!)

The only people I've ever heard use the phrase are nostalgic ravers - hence the relevance.

exactly, "back in the day" is sometimes, rarely (hardly ever) used in sport to mean in the past, 10, 20, 30 years, whatever. this way, the older the back in the day the more it trumps any other back in the day.

but in dance music culture, whatever semantic games you wanna play, it does just mean what we all know it means, it's not a generic term, it's specifically represents something. it's not just language, it's a spiritual thing

@ morb - well maybe there's crossed wires here OR maybe certain expressions have grown up concurrently stateside too - who knows..

I'm ready to bet no Yank ever said

"Get on one Matey"

tho

:D

and I'll bet Springsteen never wrote a record called

"sorted for E's and whizz"

(am not bashing Americans at all - just illustating massive cultural differences)

But what you miss in your insistence on this is that the phrase does not just refer to dance music culture!

Oh, I give up... whatever you big raver kids want :lol:

To answer your question, Grego, and thereby use your definition... the stuff I remember from the early 1990s were tunes by groups like 2Unlimited, LA Style, Quadrophonia, KLF, M People... stuff like that. I went clubbing but my main musical tastes were still emerging from my punkish phase so I wasn't quite so immersed in the minutiae of the house music scene at the time.

@ morb - well maybe there's crossed wires here OR maybe certain expressions have grown up concurrently stateside too - who knows..

I'm ready to bet no Yank ever said

"Get on one Matey"

tho

:D
:lol:
True...

But ok. Here's a recent British example of usage:
popbitch said:
"I still sometimes get upgraded in hotels because someone used to like me back in the day" - Rick Astley
What period of time do you think he was referring to?

what is true is that a lot of rave vocab entered the popular lexicon

when someone on UK daytime tv aimed at old ladies, eg Lorraine Kelly, uses words like 'chill out' and 'sorted' - you know that this is mainstream language now - for those of us who remember the words in their original contexts though, the meaning never changes

as for

2 Unlimited :eek:

oh morbyd...

*shakes head sorrowfully*

Ya, because he was a big time acid house DJ :lol:

no, you asked what time he was referring to, so i said acid house era.........because he said back in the day.

check the dates, i think you'll rick astley was 'popular' during the time he and I are referring to.

The phrase "Back in the day" comes from hip hop / rap circles and has been adopted by the wider world. There was even a rap song from the early 90s called "back in the day". I remember the lyrics,

"back in the day, when i was young,
i'm not a kid anymore,
but sometimes i sit and wish i was a kid again"

Word to your mother's mother, Homes.

Around 87 was young Rick.

I remember some girl had the hots for me (no she didn't wear glasses!), so I entertained her, she bought me a present - 12 inch version of Whenever You Need Somebody. :oops: :eek:
She clearly didn't like me so I spared her the agony and called it off for her. :lol:

no, you asked what time he was referring to, so i said acid house era.........because he said back in the day.

check the dates, i think you'll rick astley was 'popular' during the time he and I are referring to.
According to the all-knowing Wikipedia:
- Astley's biggest hit was in 1987.
- The acid house scene in the UK just began in 1987 (reaching its heights in subsequent years... biggest acid house rave was in 1989)

So, close in time, but just a year or two off. Astley, given his pop star status' lack of connection to the acid house scene, was obviously using the phrase in its general context. Good try, Grego, but not quite ;)

Try this, Grego: http://www.happyrobot.net/robotchow/backintheday.asp

According to the all-knowing Wikipedia:
- Astley's biggest hit was in 1987.
- The acid house scene in the UK just began in 1987 (reaching its heights in subsequent years... biggest acid house rave was in 1989)

So, close in time, but just a year or two off. Astley, given his pop star status' lack of connection to the acid house scene, was obviously using the phrase in its general context. Good try, Grego, but not quite ;)

Try this, Grego: http://www.happyrobot.net/robotchow/backintheday.asp

sorry but you fail again. if his biggest hit was in 1987, naturally for the following year or so, he'd still be a big name. he was quite famous at one point.

you just don't have a hit and then that's it, you're not famous. so you're talking utter bollox there mate.

i'm not saying he was directly referring to acid house parties when he said back in the day, he was using that particular term knowing everyone would know WHEN he was talking about.

The phrase "Back in the day" comes from hip hop / rap circles and has been adopted by the wider world. There was even a rap song from the early 90s called "back in the day". I remember the lyrics,

"back in the day, when i was young,
i'm not a kid anymore,
but sometimes i sit and wish i was a kid again"

Word to your mother's mother, Homes.
WORD!

And rappers got it from colloquial speech, of course.

he was using that particular term knowing everyone would know WHEN he was talking about.
Yes, exactly.
When = when he was a big pop star.
No reference or connection to anything else (acid house or otherwise)
:!:

Check this out, Grego:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_Day
:p

Here's a good one:
"Back in the Day: The Best of Bootsy is a 1994 greatest hits compilation by Parliament-Funkadelic bassist Bootsy Collins. The album was released on the Warner Bros. Archives label. The album compiles all of the hit singles produced and performed by Bootsy Collins during the years 1976 to 1982"

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving all this cyber banter, boys. Very entertaining and informative too.

My grandmother (who is well into her 80s and grew up in Wales) says "back in the day" regularly. Not sure if she was into acid house... :lol:

Back