superstar dj's (here we go!)

Yeah we have too. Every evening at 6.20!

Last night was the one with the tortoise and the night before when he came back from holiday and his house was burnt down! Brillant!

Yeah we have too. Every evening at 6.20!

Last night was the one with the tortoise and the night before when he came back from holiday and his house was burnt down! Brillant!

I get in too late for that :cry:

The one I saw last weekend was when they take a random person to the theatre thinking its their friends brother and its not......

good post (as always) MWG

re: bristol, I was specifically referring to the massive attack phenomenon - according to popular legend (myth?) house was never quite as big in Bristol, because the pills arrived later - the prevalent skunk, on the other hand, was conducive to claustrophobic beatmaking. The difference between my first year as a student, jumping around to luvdup and my final year, barely leaving the settee, lost in a fog of Tracy Thorn-induced melancholy was pretty dramatic..

'woodpecker nod' :D

good post (as always) MWG

re: bristol, I was specifically referring to the massive attack phenomenon - according to popular legend (myth?) house was never quite as big in Bristol, because the pills arrived later - the prevalent skunk, on the other hand, was conducive to claustrophobic beatmaking. The difference between my first year as a student, jumping around to luvdup and my final year, barely leaving the settee, lost in a fog of Tracy Thorn-induced melancholy was pretty dramatic..

'woodpecker nod' :D

Thank you.

Yeah Bristol never struck me as being really into house and always appeared to do it's own thing which in my eyes hat off to! It was going to produce massive girly hands in the air anthems. However plenty decent music came from the estates and towns(Portishead!) round that way. Also Roni Size and his mob came from there giving us the awesome Brown Paper Bag! Again the music from Bristol reflected like jungle did the vibe and mood at the time.

Would that be the Barbie or Mobyd definition?
:lol:

You mean the real definition or the tunnel-visioned early 90s UK raver definition? :lol:
(not meant as a dig Babs... I've found it's a common misappropriation of the phrase!)

I was pleased to see a Rick Astley quote (I believe in Popbitch) where he used the phrase to refer to the height of his career in the mid-1980s :lol:

the real one.:lol:

morbyd's back in the day is like the way at retro events they play david guetta 'hits' from 2007. cos it was back in the day for someone!!
So, by your logic, when people were using the phrase "back in the day" long before the early 1990s, they were, in fact, referring to the future? Amazing....

So, by your logic, when people were using the phrase "back in the day" long before the early 1990s, they were, in fact, referring to the future? Amazing....

you've lost me, remind of your defintion of "bak in tha day"

*paging buckersdictionarydefinitions.com*

you've lost me, remind of your defintion of "bak in tha day"
My definition is the English-language one that's been around for decades if not longer :lol:

"back in the day"
Adverb
1. (idiomatic, informal) In the past; at one time.

My definition is the English-language one that's been around for decades if not longer :lol:

"back in the day"
Adverb
1. (idiomatic, informal) In the past; at one time.

so i was right, david guetta tracks from 2007 being played at retro events would be, by your definition, back in the day (as it is "in the past, at one time").

get me?? "back in the day" just doesn't work that way.......

get me?? "back in the day" just doesn't work that way.......
:rolleyes:

Actually, it does. Unless you grew up in the 1990s UK club scene and have an obsessive mental linkage of this entirely generic phrase with that period :lol:

But we digress... please... use the phrase in whatever way makes you happy. That's what language is about, right? Expressing ones self. And people here will understand you ;)

Actually, it does. Unless you grew up in the 1990s UK club scene and have an obsessive mental linkage of this entirely generic phrase with that period :lol:

But we digress... please... use the phrase in whatever way makes you happy. That's what language is about, right? Expressing ones self. And people here will understand you ;)

hang on, is david guetta vs the egg, back in the day?

Unless you grew up in the 1990s UK club scene and have an obsessive mental linkage of this entirely generic phrase with that period :lol:

hardy, knuckles and co might have invented house but it was the Brits who redefined it, repackaged it and who are responsible for the later worldwide phenomenon of clubbing as we know it today. Therefore what happened in the 90s in the UK isn't just of parochial interest - it is at the heart of everything that followed, warts n all. So when people have a reference point in the historical trajectory of dance culture and say 'back in the day', it invariably refers to what was happening in the fields around the M25 from 89-91 OR if you're Northern, equally, what was exploding in Manchester around the same time. Other countries, with all due respect to the Italians, Westbam, the Belgian techno lords et al, are small fry, in relative terms

I never said that, Grego.

But Back in the Day could mean, for someone my age, in the gothic-industrial days of the late 1980s, or the New Wave days of the mid-1980s. It could mean back in the days when Michael, Prince, Madonna and the Boss ruled the airwaves. Or it could mean back in the days when I'd hear disco on the radio.

It could mean back in the day when I lived in Boston and was part of a certain uni music scene, or back in the day when I lived in Almaty and had a tightknit group of friends who had a lot of fun together.

I personally wouldn't put 2007's David Guetta hit in that category. Not sure who would...

Olly... you have once again missed the point entirely!
We're talking language, not music. It's a phrase that's not limited to dance culture. It's a generic phrase
Although I'd prefer to leave it at that and get back to the music!

The back in the day threshold cut off point was definitely in 1993.

I promise. It's on Wikipedia and everything.

Olly... you have once again missed the point entirely!
We're talking language, not music. It's a phrase that's not limited to dance culture. It's a generic phrase
Although I'd prefer to leave it at that and get back to the music!

The only people I've ever heard use the phrase are nostalgic ravers - hence the relevance.

Back