superstar dj's (here we go!)

thing is, a lot of it is relative to when you got involved in the scene.........so one person's summer of love is the next person's sasha at venue 44 is the next person's deadmau5 c.2009.

(I'm such a back in the day bore!) :lol:

I kind of disagree with the above because there's no such thing as time where music is concerned.

I wasn't around in the early 70s when MFSB etc first did the rounds but I still love it.

...I was a mini raver in the early 90s and hadn't even found Ibiza at that point. ;)

(I'm such a back in the day bore!) :lol:

I kind of disagree with the above because there's no such thing as time where music is concerned.

I wasn't around in the early 70s when MFSB etc first did the rounds but I still love it.

...I was a mini raver in the early 90s and hadn't even found Ibiza at that point. ;)

ok well then it's a matter of how time impacts on where you go.....what you get into.

of course, what makes more sense is to say ....."so one person's summer of love is the next person's sasha at venue 44 is the next person's deadmau5 c.2009.".........is also just to do with taste, what people actually like the sound of it, regardless of whether olly thinks it is tat or not.

I do tend to agree with him on most things though it has to be said. :confused:

(sorry that's not helpful is it?) :lol:

I think 93/94 was a really interesting time - the 'split' was fairly recent and new things were happening across the board, in Bristol, the jungle movement, the savage tory politics of the time, the last gasp at castlemorton, the almost total dance dominance of the charts, which is hard to believe now, and the deeping chasm between London's snooty attitood and fluffy bra-style Northern clubbing (eg deconstruction/eastern bloc in manchester)

as someone based in the west country, I missed out on quite a lot, but in that pre-internet age, I tuned in religiously to Tong each Friday (we had NO choice!) and he did, to his credit, break SO MUCH underground music, I would never have heard elsewhere - still have the tapes. The genre divides weren't as clearcut as today, although you had an increasing sense of what music would be played in different clubs, but where I was, you could still listen to acidjazz downstairs and hear music as diverse as south street player and quench upstairs - that beautiful mix somehow got lost along the way... :confused: and that is why so many people retreated to the 'back rooms' to hear interesting tunes.

:lol: as much as you love Rangers

this is the xth identical thread on the same subject I've written on in 4 years :oops:

(please moderators, how many times do I have to ask - BAN ME!!!)

the last gasp at castlemorton.

92. 8) 8) 8)

Have loads of brilliant mixes from that.

I'm a West Country babber too - I wonder if our paths crossed?

Lakota?
Depot?
UFO Club?
Berkely Suite?
Freedom Sound?
High Post?
Bath Pavilion?
Karanga?
Eze Love?

God there's looooads.

from Hammersmith originally but studied in Devon. I don't remember those places you mention tho (Lakota was very popular for a while when way out west were ressies)

do vaguely remember a place called Verbier Manor in the middle of nowhere which took forever to find

Sasha's last 'good' set was in 93 imo.

he was still rocking it in 97 with the digger with NE.....
after that... blaaaaaaaaah!

i just like the book because it's funny & it keeps talking about all those clubs i wished i was living in england for @ that time!! the stories about underworld, leftfield, as well making me remember how much fun raving was... parties in warehouses with wacky clothes & good drugs! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought house made a good recovery in the late 90s.

Then it went $hit again in 2001-2002 when everything went all tribal (general statement i know and a subject no doubt everyone will debate endlessly) -

for me though - the best house mixes are to be found in 1992-1993...amazing couple of years for music and the archives are dead and buried. (it was for the most part, bad quality cassettes and pre hmv compilation cds after all!)

my thoughts exactly~!!!!! 8)

I think 93/94 was a really interesting time - the 'split' was fairly recent and new things were happening across the board, in Bristol, the jungle movement, the savage tory politics of the time, the last gasp at castlemorton, the almost total dance dominance of the charts, which is hard to believe now, and the deeping chasm between London's snooty attitood and fluffy bra-style Northern clubbing (eg deconstruction/eastern bloc in manchester)
tunes.

I wouldn't say it was just in Bristol. Jungle music was coming out off every high block estate in most cities but yes mainly Bristol, London and probably Manchester too. The old hardcore and happy atmospheres was dying off due to moody pils, muggings at raves etc and therefore jungle reflected the mood and attitude of the people at the time. I loved(still do to a point) early jungle, drum and bass but what I hated was the attitude that went with the music unfortunately. Fights inside and outside of clubs, stabbings, people being bottled in clubs etc. You can do this in any high street on a Saturday night, so i don't need to travel up to London to Bagleys, Lazerdrome etc to do this. After about 2 or 3 years of this, this ended my 6 years stint of every weekend clubbing and made me knock it all on the head. I returned to playing football at weekends instead and living a wholesome life again and start listening to house again much to most of my drum n bass head mates at the time.

However I have only re-discovered my real love for going again in last 5 years or so, in this time I acquied a Doris 11 years my junior, I have 2 young heirs to the throne who luckily have stopped me showing my moves outside of the flat and to anyone other than the tweenies on a regular basis and oh yes i am 36(nearly) and bald and my hero is now a cross between Victor Meldrew and Al Bundy rather than Top Buzz, Easygroove, Ellis Dee, Jumpin Jack Frost etc etc etc.

However I do manage to make up for it when we do get a pass out, however my knees ain't what they used to be and some of my moves nowadays do just resemble a woody woodpecker nod of the head. Still I think I have another good few years left before I retire to the indoors only sheenanigans.

Anyway how is everyone?

as someone based in the west country, I missed out on quite a lot, but in that pre-internet age, I tuned in religiously to Tong each Friday (we had NO choice!) and he did, to his credit, break SO MUCH underground music, I would never have heard elsewhere - still have the tapes. The genre divides weren't as clearcut as today, although you had an increasing sense of what music would be played in different clubs, but where I was, you could still listen to acidjazz downstairs and hear music as diverse as south street player and quench upstairs - that beautiful mix somehow got lost along the way... :confused: and that is why so many people retreated to the 'back rooms' to hear interesting tunes.

Me again. Following on from this if I recall the book Altered State covers this period pretty well.

yeah. Now, "It's all gone Pete Tong" ;)

I'm sorry I haven't even really been following.. I just wanted to add something I thought would be cliche here :)

The best House Mix I ever heard was done by A:Xus on a Cd calledddd, Guidance Collection I think. It came with a magazine. I still have the Cd tho it's at the bar I work at now. We listen whilst we clean up but theres a number of Cd's from magazines there that are really really good, and we play them against todays ones and the change in times is so immense.

Another was a 2 Step Garage one that came with mixmag YEARRRRS ago.. The mixing was horrible but the songs on that Cd had so much vibe in them that, (Excuse the, cliche) I feel it REALLY did take you on a journey and thats VERY rare for ANY mix now days.

I think it's so much more exciting to read about these kinds of stories in magazines as opposed to books, and it might be the pictures but yeah.. I've been shown Dj books before and I felt like saying "REAL DJ'S DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ!!!" :) No I'm kidding. But I find in a culture so heavily influenced on technology, the best way to present a story about it is on modern technologies. Ie: I'd much rather read it as a blog than a book.

I wouldn't say it was just in Bristol. Jungle music was coming out off every high block estate in most cities but yes mainly Bristol, London and probably Manchester too. The old hardcore and happy atmospheres was dying off due to moody pils, muggings at raves etc and therefore jungle reflected the mood and attitude of the people at the time. I loved(still do to a point) early jungle, drum and bass but what I hated was the attitude that went with the music unfortunately. Fights inside and outside of clubs, stabbings, people being bottled in clubs etc. You can do this in any high street on a Saturday night, so i don't need to travel up to London to Bagleys, Lazerdrome etc to do this. After about 2 or 3 years of this, this ended my 6 years stint of every weekend clubbing and made me knock it all on the head. I returned to playing football at weekends instead and living a wholesome life again and start listening to house again much to most of my drum n bass head mates at the time.

However I have only re-discovered my real love for going again in last 5 years or so, in this time I acquied a Doris 11 years my junior, I have 2 young heirs to the throne who luckily have stopped me showing my moves outside of the flat and to anyone other than the tweenies on a regular basis and oh yes i am 36(nearly) and bald and my hero is now a cross between Victor Meldrew and Al Bundy rather than Top Buzz, Easygroove, Ellis Dee, Jumpin Jack Frost etc etc etc.

However I do manage to make up for it when we do get a pass out, however my knees ain't what they used to be and some of my moves nowadays do just resemble a woody woodpecker nod of the head. Still I think I have another good few years left before I retire to the indoors only sheenanigans.

Anyway how is everyone?

You crack me up :lol::lol::p

Gosh you're still a young whippersnapper and you're talking like you're living in supported accommodation in Eastbourne snacking on Werthers Originals! :lol:

As said I still have a few years left, just not as mobile as I once was so I don't do the caterpillar anymore!:lol: I was just referring to when the scene split and for some reason went off on one about what I done for the next few years as if any of you lot cared!!! :?:lol:

Back