superstar dj's (here we go!)

discoplayer

has anyone on here read it yet? its bean out 4a while now but....
its possibly the best dj-schmeejay book ive read! IM LOVING IT... !!!!
(although i still think it should be called 'superstar sasha (& the rest of 'em)8):twisted:)

if you want a great read about the "rise of clubland's finest" with all the "glory, excess and burnt out dreams" its really worth the read..!

SUPERSTAR DJS HERE WE GO! by Dom Phillips (editor of mixmag)

get amongst it! 8)

has anyone on here read it yet? its bean out 4a while now but....
its possibly the best dj-schmeejay book ive read! IM LOVING IT... !!!!
(although i still think it should be called 'superstar sasha (& the rest of 'em)8):twisted:)

if you want a great read about the "rise of clubland's finest" with all the "glory, excess and burnt out dreams" its really worth the read..!

SUPERSTAR DJS HERE WE GO! by Dom Phillips (editor of mixmag)

get amongst it! 8)

just think, Naked Age, live your dreams and you could be in that book one day..

Here's the Review guys...

who wrote that sh!t.

people like sasha still command 10k fees around the world, a few gigs every weekend in fact.

judge jules was never in leeds on millenium eve, he was in sheffield. the shouts of w*nker were for somebody who had climbed up a pylon and caused the music to be stopped.

who wrote that sh!t.

people like sasha still command 10k fees around the world, a few gigs every weekend in fact..
When I was skimming through that review, I thought the same thing. No way the era of superstar DJs ended that far back. I don't think it's really over now, given the fees these guys still command.

just think, Naked Age, live your dreams and you could be in that book one day..

Yeah. .. And you'll still be waking up wet ;)

Reality is, 3 more assignments and I'll be able to write that book about myself.

But what kind of ending would "and then he ended up washed up on internet forums" make? :lol:

When I was skimming through that review, I thought the same thing. No way the era of superstar DJs ended that far back. I don't think it's really over now, given the fees these guys still command.

i agree of course that the whole superstar DJ phenomena is over......i'm thinking people like jeremy healy and the like living, or seemingly living, this rock star lifestyle, with all the tantrums and demands and excesses.

but sasha, pvd, oakey, etc, etc still get paid as much as they used to. a lot was made of the millenium fees but that even at the time was always going to be a one off thing.

hmmmmm......maybe an idea for a feature, quick i best do it before dj mag pinch my ideas again!:lol:

i agree of course that the whole superstar DJ phenomena is over......i'm thinking people like jeremy healy and the like living, or seemingly living, this rock star lifestyle, with all the tantrums and demands and excesses.

but sasha, pvd, oakey, etc, etc still get paid as much as they used to.
Hard to really say it's over when these guys still get paid bundles of cash to appear!

Also, the way their events are promoted around the world is often similar to the way you'd promote appearances by rockstars (perhaps except in the UK).

Maybe their contract riders aren't as hefty as rockstars, but billboard ads and large event budgets don't really point to the end of an era.

I can't stand Superstar DJs - the stuff they play is always rubbish.

Sasha's last 'good' set was in 93 imo.

More excited there's some Top Buzz fans on here though!

I was listening to one of their early sets last night - kings of all things darkness and Jungle Techno. 8)

Is there not a tale in this book about how Oakie bought Nicky Holloway's house after he was declared bankrupt - not for his old mate to live in of course - to do it up and sell it on for a profit?

I can't stand Superstar DJs - the stuff they play is always rubbish.

Sasha's last 'good' set was in 93 imo.

exactly.

why are they superstars anyway?

what, because mixmag wrote a forest's worth of masturbatory articles back in the day?

for me there's an interesting correlation between what happened to prog house around 2000 and what happened to prog rock in the 70s - the overblown, self-important, stadium-filling, pomposity giving way to the angry noise of punk. Substitute punk for east london/dfa/nyc and you've got a picture today of a vibrant cottage industry, small venues putting on small parties, which often have a real family feel - a million miles from the corporate, capitalist w/ank oakey & co came to represent.

I liked the early days of prog (mentioned this on one of jonny68's mix threads) guerilla, oliver lieb, even early PVD all doing creative things - but then it just got very stale and formulaic as the next gen came through and saw clubbing as just another lifestyle accessory rather than a neo-ecclestiastical HOUSE experience - stripped of soul and understanding of what made HOUSE so special in the first place.

I often have this argument with first-gen ravers - why did everything go to 5h1t in the 90s? I don't agree with them that things were that bad - we were spoilt by nu groove, MAW, (early) basement jaxx, sneak, (early) tenaglia, Weatherall, the daft punk revolution, underworld, UR, leftfield and aspects of the brighton thing. But the general perception remains that 95-99 in particular were bleak years and that the eventual crash was ultimately a good thing and enabled the underground to regroup.

Looking fwd to this book in any case. Nice one beanie ;) x

I thought house made a good recovery in the late 90s.

Then it went $hit again in 2001-2002 when everything went all tribal (general statement I know and a subject no doubt everyone will debate endlessly) - I did quite like the Steve Lawler 'king of space' moment and the early days of DC-10 which to some extent spawned minimal AWFULNESS.

For me though - the best house mixes are to be found in 1992-1993...amazing couple of years for music and the archives are dead and buried. (it was for the most part, bad quality cassettes and pre HMV compilation cds after all!)

Then it went $hit again in 2001-2002 when everything went all tribal (general statement I know and a subject no doubt everyone will debate endlessly) - I did quite like the Steve Lawler 'king of space' moment and the early days of DC-10 which to some extent spawned minimal AWFULNESS.

For me though - the best house mixes are to be found in 1992-1993...amazing couple of years for music and the archives are dead and buried. (it was for the most part, bad quality cassettes and pre HMV compilation cds after all!)

http://www.manchesterad.com/listings/view/1649

Morales = 5 hr 90's set!

thing is, a lot of it is relative to when you got involved in the scene.........so one person's summer of love is the next person's sasha at venue 44 is the next person's deadmau5 c.2009.

what made the music more spirtual almost back then, was that you couldn't just pop a search on youtube/beatport to hear a track. the only place to hear it was in the clubs or the odd radio show or tape.

these tapes were passed around groups so that everybody was listening to the same tracks from the same tape. so when you eventually heard it in the club, there was a real communal feel to it all.

likewise, tracks would grow and grow for years in the underground. many of the mid 90s house tracks that went commercial were being played for years before hand. no chance of that happening these days.

these days i feel totally overwhelmed by the amount of music around.

this has turned into a back in the day thread.......robder's fault.

Back