Steve Lawler - Lights out 2

Robo

www.xpander.nl

its out now

You always know when Lawler is playing: he’s always dancefloor minded and he knows exactly how to get a crowd wild. Nu breed 3 and Lights out 1 were very tribalistic mixes, lots of percussion and crazy native rhytms, but also with a very dark background.

Lights out 2 continues a bit were the first one ended. But, it has to be said, this mix is not a total copy of the first one. Lights out 2 has also the rhythm feeling, but it has less dark elements and also less percussion. This mix is more ‘house’ minded and the electro influence, that was already a bit present in part I, was brought more forward on this CD.

So, where to start? I should say: right from the beginning. Lawler is known for his effects and samples that he brings along everywhere he plays. He likes to add that personal touch. He also did it on Lights out 1,and so he does it again. Disc 1 sets off with a home-made short version of Luzon’s Baguio track.

After those 40 seconds of filtered voice, it’s time to start shaking. Zulu nation part 6 from Alan Farrat is a superb choice to get you moving. Great tribal, claps and native voices, all slowly build-up and hooked up with a deep break beat. Who says that tribal is always the same? Listen to this! Bertoldo’s ‘Amor’, track 3, is already more house minded but still uses some percussion. And the fourth track (Diamond dogs ‘Nothing else’) continues on that level: housy sounds, vocals and groovy elements. ‘Live love’ by Solar vs Audio Fly still has that feeling, but it has more power than the previous 2 tracks. And now it gets more interesting. With Dino da Cassino’s ‘Clear this’, Lawler turns the mix completely around. We’re getting some electro sounds now, but the rhythm part is never far away.

We can say that from this point, we’re listening to rhythmic Tech-house. ‘Follow this beat’ from Paul Johnson goes deeper in the electro feeling; severe base line, computer voice and electro samples. After this, it’s time for some floor-fillers. First one: ‘if you want me’ by kade. The voice in the break (Don’t bring me down), and the upcoming drums will get you moving. And after this tune, we get Polekat’s Dancing queen. I think everybody knows this one. It’s featured on different compilations lately. Disc one closes with some nice tech-house tracks like ‘2 black 2 gay’ from Presser and ‘Let it go’ by Anoma.

Disc 2 starts with Lawler’s interpretation of Underworld’s ‘two Months off’. Many of you party people will recognize this sample, as the crowd went wild when Steve played this at Harlem Night’s this year. After the intro, there’s a short track, entitled ‘Playing dirty’. Good to start the set with: it doesn’t reveal too much yet. With the third track, we hear Lawler’s sound: shakers and bongos: the ingredients of mister tribalistic.

You can picture yourself a dancing crowd on some beach when you listen to this. ‘Make it hot’ is one of those Ibiza anthems from this year; what else to expect from DJ Pierre and David Morales: minimalistic sounds with a voice that carries the song. Track 5 is the one that switches mix 2. R.R.R. by UN7 is without any doubt most remarkable track on this CD; outstanding tune, with a good use of strings and a great build-up. You’re totally in the mood after this one. Right, as if you weren’t before. Lawler wouldn’t be Lawler if he didn’t add some classics in his set. The first one we get is one of the best tracks ever made: Alcatrazz’s ‘Give me Luv’. Not the original version, but Yoshitoshi’s 100th release version. 80% original version, 20% extra’s. The Prophets of sound (remember ‘High’ on Distinctive) are also featured on this CD with the great tech-house tune ‘Tide of dreams’.

The mix becomes a bit rougher now, like the second part of disc 1, with electro-tech-house tunes like ‘my girlfriend is a robot’ and ‘future spirit’. Lawler closes his album with again a classic tune, dressed up for 2003: Plastic dreams from Jaydee. If you don’t know this one, you must have been sleeping for 15 years. Steve mashed this one up very good.

As said, when you listen to Lawler, you know what to expect. Lights out 2 has the same rhythm feeling, but the 2 discs become a bit rougher after about 30 minutes, much more than the previous edition of Lights out.

In general, you can feel the energy that comes out of this mix. Technically spoken, Lawler knows how to play the decks, that’s obvious. No errors, lots of extra’s and perfect timings. But Lights out 2 doesn’t have the same ‘My god, this is madness’ feeling as his first one. It’s a good mix, nothing more, nothing less. Great ‘car music’! !

Back