Spotlight Book Club - recommendations

Trying to get back into reading by setting aside a little time regardless most days. (Last book I read took me a year to get through. :spank:)

Currently reading 'Never Let Me Go' (gripping thus far) and got Ian McEwan's 'Solar' lined up next.

51T4S5TYACL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Is a bit zany, easy to get lost in the plot(s).

41tEjwrX1yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Interesting insight into the brutal and Mexican gangs, does get depressing in places.

I take a book on holiday, it passes the time during drinking stints. I can always come back and say I did one thing constructive.

if you like proper, adult science fiction:

The Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton is well worth a read.

Sorry if I have bigged it up before.

I'm reading sequel to white tiger, between the assasinations. about india. i love his style of writing.

white tiger is brilliant, accessible, quick paced and vivid - really captures india for me.

For anyone who has never read any Thomas Hardy, absolutely brilliant reading, could not single out one book in particular, they are all 'just read another page, before you know it the book is over' type stories.

For anyone who has never read any Thomas Hardy, absolutely brilliant reading, could not single out one book in particular, they are all 'just read another page, before you know it the book is over' type stories.

Only read a couple of his books - 'Jude The Obscure' and that Tess one (i think). :lol: Both very good.

Nearing the end of Never Let Me Go now. It's great stuff, a sort of sci-fi love story with everyday trappings that deals with some pretty big themes.

That'll be a book in approximately a month, which is as good a target as I can hope for. :D

Wasted: the true story of Jim McNeil

At 13, Jim McNeil quit school for good. At 14, he started an affair with a brothel madam. For years he relished his life among the thugs, thieves and whores. By his 20s, he was a recidivist, had a wife, six kids and was well on his way to a 17-year sentence for shooting a policeman during an armed robbery. When he wrote his first play, in prison, he'd never set foot in a theatre. Just four years later he was a celebrity, freed ten years early thanks to the agitation of a powerful group of Sydney elite, who declared him one of the country's most important writers. Three months later he married Robyn Nevin, won the Australian Writers' Guild script award, and was commissioned to write the screenplay for My Brilliant Career. Charismatic and charming, he was at the height of his powers. He never wrote again. Pursued by Sydney society, and lost in a world that lacked the strict regimen of prison life, he fell back into alcoholism and violence. He returned to the streets and was dead within a decade. His four plays stand as a testament to a talent sadly wasted. For the first time, this is the story of his tragic, mesmerising life.

fantastic book - well worth a read

416pkyM35uL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I'm about to start on this. On the basis of Thom Yorke recomending it (the man is a god and a genius before you start!)

I want to spread the word about a book that I read almost exactly a year ago, which I think some of you will adore/recognise/need. It's a book called ‘Wild' and it's written by Jay Griffiths and it is an astonishing piece of writing and it was exactly what I needed to read….
I was not in the greatest of places .. I was feeling low, getting increasingly disturbed and frustrated by the state of pretty much everything in the 21st century, which, can be simply summarised as the inability of the vast majority of our business and political leaders to truly look after the welfare of the vast majority of this planet's citizens and the earth that we all live on….Nothing new then?! …..Well… this book was truly medicinal and like all great music, it helped to lift me up and pull me out of this low level depression… Reading it, felt like one of those amazing moments in life where one feels an overwhelming sense of relief and amazement that someone could actually be writing about the very things that seemed to be affecting oneself ….. It makes you feel less alone….And it does this in such a beautiful, passionate and raw way ….
If you got a copy of ‘The Universal Sigh', you will notice that Jay Griffiths contributed a piece to it …. I don't normally recommend books on DAS, but seeing as I've given away probably 20 or so copies of it to friends and family, I thought some of you should know about this … Good luck …

Anyone know much about Cormac McCarthy? Seeing as I loved The Road, what would be the next book of his I should read. I've seen the film of No Country For Old Men already, so would rather another story...

Back