Speakers and Music and Stuff

agentundercover

Could I get a bit of advice?

At Undercover Towers we are waaaay behind on hi fi (still called that is it?) technology.

I have a crap portable CD & thats that. Currently ripping all the CD's to the computer. Going to move it downstairs & use that as the system.

Question is - do I need an amp & some full size speakers to link to the PC - or will a good set of PC speakers do the job direct?

I want it to be loud enough but no bonkers party loud.

any guidance appreciated!

You don't need an amp for a standard setup. It really depends on what you want, if you have an ear for quality you may want to invest in a decent soundcard. Any decent speakers will do, your usually just need a 3.5mm jack into the connection of the speakers(RCA,Speaktron, etc), you can pick these up for a couple of quid, but the quality of cable is a very important factor to take into account, specifically if the cables are going to be long.

I also have my computer set up as my hifi, i use 3.5m jack to rca cable into my mixer and my mixer into my amp, but before that i just ran some decent loud pc speakers direct from the pc.

It's really up to you how you do it, by the sound of it though your be happy with just some decent pc speakers direct into the computer. If you go this way make sure the speakers are active.

let me know if you need any more help. :)

why not use this as the perfect excuse to spunk some money on an x-box, stream the music downstairs wirelessly via your x-box to a decent priced dvd surround system setup in your living room?

why not use this as the perfect excuse to spunk some money on an x-box, stream the music downstairs wirelessly via your x-box to a decent priced dvd surround system setup in your living room?

:lol:

F uckin hell i wish mate. There are two doors that need replacing since i put the worst varnish you have ever seen on them before i get to spend that kind of money on a console!

What does this mean?:lol:

I have an xbox and a wireless laptop at home with my itunes on it.

what can i use the xbox for other than a games console?
:confused:

What does this mean?:lol:

I have an xbox and a wireless laptop at home with my itunes on it.

what can i use the xbox for other than a games console?
:confused:

DVD player (or HD DVD if you want to buy that seperate drive thats basically been killed by blu-ray).

you can stream yr music/video from yr pc to the xbox... but whats the ****ing point! :lol:

My Macbook is the hub of everything. - ive got it hooked to the TV for downloaded episodes of LOST, sound out via headphones to stereo, internet connection via a 3 modem, which is hooked up to the xbox via ethernet.

im gonna end up that fat blamange from Blade. :lol:

My Macbook is the hub of everything. - ive got it hooked to the TV for downloaded episodes of LOST, sound out via headphones to stereo, internet connection via a 3 modem, which is hooked up to the xbox via ethernet.

im gonna end up that fat blamange from Blade. :lol:
You braggin' again?

I use a spare old laptop as my music server. It's hooked into an old stereo system (which I will, one day, replace!) and connected to a wifi network along with the missus' and my laptops, the desktop, and a little handheld in the kitchen.

I use a WinAmp plug-in that allows me to change the music playing on the stereo from any other computer in the house (eg. if I'm in the kitchen, can change the music from there without walking around to the music computer in the living room).

The desktop (in the bedroom) and handheld (in kitchen) are also hooked to speakers and can play tunes stored on the music computer's hard drive via the network.

Can't wait until I get a larger apartment so that having such a set up actually makes sense :lol:

This has nothing to do with your question but I tried to transfer my Itunes onto my new laptop at the weekend and lost EVERYTHING :spank::spank::spank: I am now in the slow process of putting 49273958724578y435 CDs back on my laptop :twisted:

So the moral of the story is don't embrace technology :twisted::lol:

This has nothing to do with your question but I tried to transfer my Itunes onto my new laptop at the weekend and lost EVERYTHING :spank::spank::spank: I am now in the slow process of putting 49273958724578y435 CDs back on my laptop :twisted:

So the moral of the story is don't embrace technology :twisted::lol:

snap.......arrrrgh!! a lifetime of CDs to put back on itunes within a week!

So this wouldn't be the best time to tell you that you could just have downloaded 'Idump' and it'd copy all your songs off your Ipod in to you new Itunes, then?

Although I guess you could still do it and it'd save you the hastle of doing some of the CD's.

So this wouldn't be the best time to tell you that you could just have downloaded 'Idump' and it'd copy all your songs off your Ipod in to you new Itunes, then?

Although I guess you could still do it and it'd save you the hastle of doing some of the CD's.

I managed to delete everything on my ipod as well :rolleyes::oops::spank:

you can buy 500GB Hard drives for under £100.... worth the investment if it means not ripping all yr music again. :lol:

Back to the thread, I got some Creative 6:1's and they are absolutely fantastic. Creative is DEFINATELY the way forward. Up to the job and they can certainly punch out some decibels.

Back