Spanish help, please!

Dirk

I have been thinking long and hard about my new tattoo (nearly two years!) and have decided on a Spanish proverb.

I have read horror stories about people getting tattoos in chinese that have meant to say the persons name, but really means two fried rice.

To ensure I am getting the correct think done on my back, can some of our Spanish speakers please tell me what they think the following means.

Can they also write the proper pronounciation. Many thanks. :D

El amor todo lo puede

Love can do everything. (but the order of the words is more poetic - so it's more like love is all powerful)

pronunciation:

el amor totho lo pwethi (phonetically - kind of! the "th" should be a heavy sound)

hope that helps!

Cheers mate!

I was told it meant Love will find a way, so you have confirmed what I thought. (At least I wont be getting some Spanish swear words on my back!)

I take it that the way words are written can give them different meanings?

el amor - love

totho - ?

lo - ?

pwethi - way?

No direct English translation really, except

El amor todo lo puede
The love all is able

el amor - the love

totho - everything/all

lo pwethi - able / can

You are a superstar mate. I will make sure I post a photo once I have had it done.

Cheers! :D

Nice one.

El amor todo lo puede would be something like: love can deal with everything.

Sorry, don't know about phonetic, but it's not hard for english spoken.

that pronunciation of 'puede': 'pwethi', is not correct, and, ehem, would sound ridiculous :lol: :p
it would be like this more or less:
'pwetheh', trying not to pronounce the final 'h' at all. The 'th' would sound like in 'there' rather than like in 'beth', and as Red say, with a hard pronunciation.

wish I hadn't read this - I am trying to learn and contrary posts just confuse me. The course I am doing does not mention converting the "d" in puede into a "th" in any form - where did that come from ?

:( :confused: :eek:

Tony said:
wish I hadn't read this - I am trying to learn and contrary posts just confuse me. The course I am doing does not mention converting the "d" in puede into a "th" in any form - where did that come from ?

:( :confused: :eek:

the 'th' in English in words like 'these' is what sounds closer to the Spanish phoneme 'd'.

I think I'll stick with the d - it sounds like a speach impediment if you convert it to a th

Back