Spanish Digital Nomad scheme / Spouse of EU citizen

Clara

Hi, it would be great to hear of anyone looking to move to Ibiza / settle in Ibiza under the Spanish digital nomad visa scheme ‘Ley de Startups’ which has just (as of 3 November 2022) been passed.

I’ve got an EU passport as well as my UK passport so trying to get my husband sorted so he’s not tied to the 90 day rule post Brexit.

My husband would appear to satisfy the criteria for the scheme so keen to hear of anyone’s experiences once the scheme opens.

Or anyone who has an EU passport who has successfully enabled their spouse to move over and not be tied to the 90 day rule.

Last edited:
Hi, it would be great to hear of anyone looking to move to Ibiza / settle in Ibiza under the Spanish digital nomad visa scheme ‘Ley de Startups’ which has just (as of 3 November 2022) been passed.

I’ve got an EU passport as well as my UK passport so trying to get my husband sorted so he’s not tied to the 90 day rule post Brexit.

My husband would appear to satisfy the criteria for the scheme so keen to hear of anyone’s experiences once the scheme opens.

Or anyone who has an EU passport who has successfully enabled their spouse to move over and not be tied to the 90 day rule.

Look into spousal rights under Spanish law. I think they're allowed in too provided they meet certain criteria eg having enough cash, private health insurance + co-residency for x months (to beat sham marriages)

I'm different in that I'm not married and they threw my girlfriend out of Spain in the spring (traumatic!) so I've learnt you have to be well on top of the system to get that visa

more info here:

Look into spousal rights under Spanish law. I think they're allowed in too provided they meet certain criteria eg having enough cash, private health insurance + co-residency for x months (to beat sham marriages)

So…we are going down the EU Family Residencia route as I also have Austrian Citizenship so hope to be able to get my Green TIE in the next couple of months, then my husband can apply.

Lots of unnecessary extra stress though!

Yep, it is all a headmelt. Yours probably is the right approach, although if you can both apply for EU passports, you might bypass the need for a TIE, i guess? i was able to get a backup Spanish passport back in 2011 which turned into a real lifesaver. Once temp ressie sorted, everything else pretty straightforward. After 6 months you might get some heat off the GC if they suspect you’re a tourist with a UK number plate, but talking to other Brits I got the impression they’re not massively arsed

Yep, it is all a headmelt. Yours probably is the right approach, although if you can both apply for EU passports, you might bypass the need for a TIE, i guess? i was able to get a backup Spanish passport back in 2011 which turned into a real lifesaver. Once temp ressie sorted, everything else pretty straightforward. After 6 months you might get some heat off the GC if they suspect you’re a tourist with a UK number plate, but talking to other Brits I got the impression they’re not massively arsed

Unfortunately, my husband isn't eligible for an Austrian passport, unless we lived there together for over 5 years. I received it recently through my Grandfather.

We have a meeting at Caixa Bank on Friday for our bank account and then on Monday at the police station for my NIE.

work question: any ‘nomads’ on here working on any freelance platforms or autonomously? If so, what’s yr experience and knowledge of SEO? I’m conflicted about whether to get back into the writing/‘content’ side. I’m so done with it tbh.

how’s it going? I signed up to digital nomad world. Will see what emerges from it…

Hi, just saw this. We ended up going down the EU Family Member Visa route for my husband in the end, as the Digital Nomad scheme wasn't up and running yet.

We've now both got 5 year Residencia as of last month. Which is nice!

Hi, just saw this. We ended up going down the EU Family Member Visa route for my husband in the end, as the Digital Nomad scheme wasn't up and running yet.

We've now both got 5 year Residencia as of last month. Which is nice!
Congrats!

congratulations both of you on that. all the best for the future.

*if you hear of any digital jobs, recruiters looking for English/Spanish speakers, pls let me know!

Thanks and will do. We’re still going to split our time between Ibiza & Brighton and then make a decision.

But it makes things a lot easier.

Now just need to get Spanish plates for our car here…

Took my car back to Worthing after 8 months. Could've changed plates here and had a local MOT (an ITV) but it felt like a faff and I needed the money. Real shame as I loved that car. If you need island tips on garages and stuff, talk to Fred Everywhere, he’s your man.

Took my car back to Worthing after 8 months. Could've changed plates here and had a local MOT (an ITV) but it felt like a faff and I needed the money. Real shame as I loved that car. If you need island tips on garages and stuff, talk to Fred Everywhere, he’s your man.
Thanks. I know Fred - great person and may well use him for transporting items from the UK if (when?) we properly move over.

Back