SPACE Terrace lost his "Hands up" touch?

I think the terrace stopped being as funky/good when it made the transistion from a £5 after hours morning club to a £30 all day club. I think it was about 8ish years ago but couldn't be sure. I think the owners must be happy though as it's much busier and they charge 6 times as much.

Is Steve Lawler really the "King of Space"?? :?: ?
I used to be a big Lawler lover couple of years ago. After I saw him @ Terrace I changed my opinion :twisted: . His mixing technique is class, he putting a lot of work in his set but he is always playing dark tribal stuff. Sorry but not @ Space Terrace!
I was looking at the crowd couple of weeks ago at we love sunday@Space. Sorry Lawler the crowd was only push the hands up when you were playing funky cool house music. Compare Lawler to Morillo and see how many people are screaming and rising their hands up when Morillo is playing. I know Morillo is sometimes playing old stuff but he can rocks the Terrace much much more than Lawler with his progressive dark records. What do you think?

Peace & respect!

I think Lawler is extremely talented and technically he is fantastic but he’s definitely not my favourite dj to see on the terrace. I’ve seen him play some unbelievable sets and he does play some brilliant tunes but he can get a bit tribal and dark for me sometimes. I do think his sets are more suited to darker, more underground clubs.

whenever i've seen Lawler on the terrace hes played lighter stuff - thats why We Love... are putting on 4 inside sessions with him to let him showcase his darker side.

With his Harlem Nights he plays funkier, tribal house at the start and get more techier/proggy at the end - at Space i think it similar - lighter on the terrace, deeper and darker inside.

and he is definitely King of Space!!!

Morillo is relying more and more on "big choons" any dj can cram a set full of classics and get a good reaction - the best ones push new music and drop the odd older bomb in amongst it

then again Lawlers my fave dj and he sent me a cracking tune t'other month so i guess i'm biased :D

macdonsj said:
Morillo is relying more and more on "big choons" any dj can cram a set full of classics and get a good reaction - the best ones push new music and drop the odd older bomb in amongst it

I do agree with the stuff about Morrillo. He’s far too quick to shove on a few crowd pleasers IMO.

Nobody is king of Space, simple as that! It's the people in Space that make the club.

Lawler plays tribal house music, fact, he does not play funky house music at all, and if you think he does, you've never heard funky house music. Previous posts on here back that up!

The atmosphere created by tribal house music and funky more soulful house music are completely different, that's the whole point of this topic.

Lawler may be some people's cup of tea but he's more suited to the inside in my opnion.

I'd love to hear some really funky or more soulful DJs rip the terrace up again but it'll never happen on a Sunday at the moment. Would love to hear Dimitri From Paris or Joey Negro play the terrace, or Louie Vega and Kenny Dope again, Frankie Knuckles (ok he is playing one date), Tony Humphries, Norman Jay, Morales more often.

Given, the Def Mix breakfasts can be good with Bobby D, but that's all you get.

Elrobbie said:
I'd love to hear some really funky or more soulful DJs rip the terrace up again but it'll never happen on a Sunday at the moment. Would love to hear Dimitri From Paris or Joey Negro play the terrace, or Louie Vega and Kenny Dope again, Frankie Knuckles (ok he is playing one date), Tony Humphries, Norman Jay, Morales more often.

Definitely! You’ve got my vote. :D

JT said:
I think the terrace stopped being as funky/good when it made the transistion from a £5 after hours morning club to a £30 all day club. I think it was about 8ish years ago but couldn't be sure. I think the owners must be happy though as it's much busier and they charge 6 times as much.

My point exactly! It's all about money and booking DJs who will pack the place rather than sticking by what the essence of the terrace was all about originally, a day time terrace with funky happy music, sunshine music.

Dark, dirty tribal music should be played on the inside only!

Elrobbie said:
Would love to hear Dimitri From Paris or Joey Negro play the terrace, or Louie Vega and Kenny Dope again, Frankie Knuckles (ok he is playing one date), Tony Humphries, Norman Jay, Morales more often.

I saw MAW on the terrace a few years ago, could do with repeat performance of that :D but there is definitely a trend towards a more tribal sound as opposed to really soulful funky house.

well its the owner of Space who called him that so who am i to argue

i didn't mean he played funky - i meant his tribal on the terrace is lighter in mood than the darker tunes he plays.

the terrace works cos it starts with the kind of dj that you listed and then ups the tempo as the night progresses - hence why Def Mix djs do the breakfast set and the likes of Lawler close it - it gives a smooth progression from summery house music of the start of the terrace to the close of the terrace when people move inside for the prog house & techno

anyway - thats just my opinion :D

I've never seen Mr Lawler on the terrace or elsewhere, doesn't sound my cuppa tea.
Maybe i will give him a miss and go inside and mix it with the weird people. Or go back to the hotel where my mate's are doing sunday evening disco/soul parties

Well with lawler playing tunes like "so much love to give" (last year)i wouldn't say that this is tribal....would you?

To be honest i think last year lawler played a good set which I (my opion) wouldn't have called tribal.

But give a FECK! what he plays the boy rocks the terrace, i love him, the cowd loves the music and at the end of the day thats why WELOVE....@space!

Love Groover said:
Well with lawler playing tunes like "so much love to give" (last year)i wouldn't say that this is tribal....would you?

To be honest i think last year lawler played a good set which I (my opion) wouldn't have called tribal.

But give a FECK! what he plays the boy rocks the terrace, i love him, the cowd loves the music and at the end of the day thats why WELOVE....@space!

So Much Love To Give is hardly his usual style is it! One tune doesn't make a whole set does it?? Danny Tenaglia played a classic mix of an old Diana Ross record as his first tune of an 8 hour set I heard a couple of years ago, it doesn't mean that he isn't a deep, dirty house music dj!! 1 hour later he was playing josh wink and x-press 2 and all of his underground tribal dirty house music.

Fact is, Lawler = Progressive and tribal, its not even worth debating cause you don't know your music if you think he isn't tribal cause that is his style, as stated by the man himself.

Yeah Lawler is tribal, with the odd tech up lifting tune. Thats his way, he works a crowd then drops an upflifting tune everynow and then. I prefer his kind of stuff, then again love hards in the air stuff, as long as it's not all the time.

I'm out there from 23aug for two weeks, I just hope the terrace is not Prog all the way cos after a while that stuff can get to much :evil:

dark and deep is EXACTLY why i am going!! lawler/burridge are freaking amazing and to see them in ibiza is only going to add to an already awesome time.

So Much Love To Give is hardly his usual style is it! One tune doesn't make a whole set does it?? Danny Tenaglia played a classic mix of an old Diana Ross record as his first tune of an 8 hour set I heard a couple of years ago, it doesn't mean that he isn't a deep, dirty house music dj!! 1 hour later he was playing josh wink and x-press 2 and all of his underground tribal dirty house music.

Fact is, Lawler = Progressive and tribal, its not even worth debating cause you don't know your music if you think he isn't tribal cause that is his style, as stated by the man himself.[/quote]

I do know my music! All i was saying is that when i was there last year i wouldn't have called his set tribal/progressive! It was alot more uplifting!

Like i say can't wait to see him rock the terrace again this year!

just got this off ukclubbing. A steve lawler interview!

However he has long been a fan of the terrace at Space. "I am a DJ who has been going to that terrace since it opened - it’s an industry fraternity. I knew exactly what I had to do musically and that the vibe out there was a party so I gave it my all. I am playing there 14 dates on the terrace and four parties inside. These will be double ups. When I play on the terrace for two or three hours I play a party soundtrack for a wicked atmosphere but I still play within the boundaries of music which I like. It’s uplifting but underground house – I won’t play the big records or anything cheesy. What’s so special about the terrace is that even though it’s daytime, there’s a full-blown party out there. It’s like playing on the beach at an after party! Inside I play as I do every other nightclub: 3-4 hours of house, tribal, progressive and techno as inside you can get sucked into the music."

Back