Southport Pontins on holiday nightmares tv prog tonight...

I don't think it has anything to do with snobbery.

People have different standards and expectations that's all.

You only live once, why not have the best you can afford. And it doesn't automatically mean that best is the most expensive option.

Sure .. have the best you can afford .. but some families obviously cant afford what others can and we shouldnt call them pikeys just because of this.

You've no idea the cost of children !!! If you dont want to cut your lifestyle then dont have any, really !!

A place like Butlins has it all under one roof, entertainment, child care if the parents want to go out for a drink on their own, swimming pools, and so on ... ideal for a British climate.

God they're not my sort of thing and I wouldnt go nowadays, but the three times we did go, the girls were of an age to enjoy what was being offered there at the time and it was fantastic to see children, who were otherwise quite shy, making new friends and joining in with the entertainment there.

*Saffy* said:
Sure .. have the best you can afford .. but some families obviously cant afford what others can and we shouldnt call them pikeys just because of this.

You've no idea the cost of children !!! If you dont want to cut your lifestyle then dont have any, really !!

A place like Butlins has it all under one roof, entertainment, child care if the parents want to go out for a drink on their own, swimming pools, and so on ... ideal for a British climate.

God they're not my sort of thing and I wouldnt go nowadays, but the three times we did go, the girls were of an age to enjoy what was being offered there at the time and it was fantastic to see children, who were otherwise quite shy, making new friends and joining in with the entertainment there.
I totally agree with all of this and we did get the best we could afford at the time and that was it, it was perfect for what we needed.
I hate the way people are so judgemental just because it was a British Holiday park doesnt automatically mean it was a rubbish holiday. We colleted shells on the beach, fed the squirrals that came up to the patio, splashed about in the pool and on the flumes....
and just because we went there when we were young doesnt mean our parents settled for 'second best' or had 'lower standards and expectations'. A holiday is what you make it and who you are with and i dont think its fair to be called a pikey just because you make a different choice. It's a snobby stereotype.

*Saffy* said:

I do have an idea, i have 2 nieces aged 1 & 2.

I don't think the cost of brining up kids would affect us, but losing an income would :confused:

Precisely Drew .. I was a very high earner, being a negotiator for N.U.P.E., and I chose to stop work .... we lost a huge chunk of earnings, but I'm more than glad that I chose not to work whilst the girls are young - we changed our lifestyle to fit our income .. and yes, there are times I miss not being able to just buy anything I want, but being here for the children more than makes up for it.

:)

*Saffy* said:
Precisely Drew .. I was a very high earner, being a negotiator for N.U.P.E., and I chose to stop work .... we lost a huge chunk of earnings, but I'm more than glad that I chose not to work whilst the girls are young - we changed our lifestyle to fit our income .. and yes, there are times I miss not being able to just buy anything I want, but being here for the children more than makes up for it.

:)

It's a tough call, especially in this day and age where women have strong careers and there are so many more things out there than our parents had.

We have no plans to start a family, but i think if we don't within the next 2 years we probably never will :confused:

It looked even worse than when I went to Tribal 2 years ago. What a dump. It looks more like a prison camp.

And have you ever tried finding your chalet at that place when you're :eek: ?

You end up going in circles.

gecko2 said:
It looked even worse than when I went to Tribal 2 years ago. What a dump. It looks more like a prison camp.

And have you ever tried finding your chalet at that place when you're :eek: ?

You end up going in circles.

That's by far one of the best bits .. cos you end up having drinks in random chalets and making loads of new friends !!

Back