so This is THE END

Just seen the email myself, sad news alright, definitely one of the most consistent and best clubs in the UK.

The end to close in January 2009

London is in a state, official

if you like BIG clubs, then you've basically now got scala, misery, fabric, egg, koko

and I wdn't bet against koko and egg being bought out before too long...

however, the small club scene is a very different picture - loadsa bars/clubs/galleries/shops/workshops - you name it, with soundsystems springing up around dalston, hackney, clapton, some legit, others less so

that is the future of underground clubbing in London - get used to it....

The problem i have with the whole smaller venue east london scene is that im not a fan of garage or 90's rnb which seem to be all the rage with the skinny jeans crew from E8

Massive shame. This time last year I wouldve said my favourite London clubs were Turnmills, The Cross and The End!

Olly, I now understand your review about Ibiza. We have a completely different view on clubbing. I just don't get the whole small bar, underground warehouse, getting back to the roots of house soundsystems you mention. Maybe for daytime, after party venues, but not for the main saturday night event.

You simply don't get the same atmosphere in small bars and clubs as you get in big rooms, or atleast the atmosphere I want to experience.

Oh well, the good news is im expecting major parties till they shut :twisted:

The problem i have with the whole smaller venue east london scene is that im not a fan of garage or 90's rnb which seem to be all the rage with the skinny jeans crew from E8

if that's your impression of the east end, that's a real shame because there's loads of places that go nowhere near rnb/garage - a lot of clubs are conscious of the potential for shootings/stabbings they bring and don't book those DJs/MCs anymore - the place IS crawling with skinny jeans (cringe) and art-students with uber cool japanese girlfriends - but a lot of them are well into the minimal scene at venues like the TBar and Cafe 1001 - free to get into and as dark as it gets...

it also depends on what you DO want to hear out - because East London ain't like other parts - I'm not boasting at all and I agree there is a lot of crap in the area as well but the east end still has an underground edge to it, which will eventually suffer with the olympics and tube expansions (and the yuppie rush that will follow) so that's why it's worth catching now.

if all that all sounds too much - and you prefer it more commercial, then egg in king's cross, heaven in charing cross, white house in clapham, aquarium on old street are prob worth checking instead...

I help run a smaller, less commercial house night in London called Relentless and the atmosphere in there is amazing. Its just like the big clubs except the DJ's play what they want and your surrounded by all your best friends. Next one won't be on for a while though as were all going to Ibiza together :D

I help run a smaller, less commercial house night in London called Relentless and the atmosphere in there is amazing. Its just like the big clubs except the DJ's play what they want and your surrounded by all your best friends. Next one won't be on for a while though as were all going to Ibiza together :D

noted - may check you out

cheers for heads up :)

I've lived here for years...which small venues have you been frequenting? :lol:

I'm not sure I'd even know where to find an rnb or garage night around here. :eek:

Visions Video in hackney does the Workit nights every month which all my mates seem to cream themselves over . Im not talking about the TBar and 1001 , 333 and the ell known places im talking about the proper little venues you wouldnt know existed that are packed every week and ive gotta say whats popular with the painfully trendy skinny jeans crew is retro garage and grime.Theres a place on Kingsland road thats nohing more than a doorway next to a kebab shop , u knock on the door n say a password n the guy lets u in. This is the sorta place i meant. I didnt mean garage nights in the old sense where people take it seriously , its almost a retro , piss take sorta thing now.

if all that all sounds too much - and you prefer it more commercial, then egg in king's cross, heaven in charing cross, white house in clapham, aquarium on old street are prob worth checking instead...

Gotta say Aquarium has been doing some amazing underground nights that go well into the next day!

Gotta say Aquarium has been doing some amazing underground nights that go well into the next day!

you're right - not sure if there's been a management change, but I saw b pitch control booked for tmrw night, which I would dearly love to go to

I hear you on the whole grime/dubstep thing too - makes me cringe

video visions is ace 8)

Theres some amazing dubstep around tho , really innovative in places . Has been influencing alot of techno ive been hearing and vice versa

yeah, know people are talking about Burial and Shackleton

not feeling it myself though :confused: maybe needs more listening..

been to The End a few times. Not for me, apart from Renegade Hardware it's not a great club - and it won't be greatly missed (imo).

still

seeing another club go is pretty crap tbh.

36 assaults, 325 thefts in 2 years.... unbelievable.

Doubt The End had a fraction of that in it's entire life span.

Back