SLAVES + RAT BOY | IBIZA ROCKS | 15/06/16

McRackin

Super Moderator
After last summer's 10th birthday celebrations, the Ibiza Rocks brand embarks on their second decade with another juicy line-up that caters for all tastes and features some of the biggest international artists along with some of the best new talent out there. Throughout the 14 weeks of outdoor gigs we'll see the reunited LCD Soundsystem, the always entertaining Major Lazer, the mighty Kaiser Chiefs, the legendary Faithless and 2015's breakthrough artist Wolf Alice among many others.

Apart from the residents Oliver Partridge aka Oli P (ex-Mallorca Rocks) and Patrick Nazemi, this week the warm-up duties were also handled by BBC Radio 1 DJ Phil Taggart. The Northern Irish radio presenter brought his club night Slacker to Ibiza Rocks Bar on tuesday with Rat Boy as special guest and will repeat at both venues (Ibiza Rocks Bar and Ibiza Rocks Hotel) the second and fourth week of august.

P1280633+-+copia.JPG

Despite only having a few singles out, the Essex teenager known as Rat Boy (a name given to him by his school mates because he looked like a rat!) won the Best New Artist prize at this year's NME Awards.

After his debut on the white isle the night before, the 20-year-old producer/writer/multi-instrumentalist Jordan Cardy and his live band opened for Slaves. His show included songs like "Knock Knock", "Sportswear", "Splendid Young Man", "Get Over It", "Wasteman", "Left 4 Dead", "Sign On", "Fake ID" and the popular "Move" as the closing number, giving us a taste of his amalgamation of styles that goes from hip hop to indie rock. On a curious note, while on tuesday he decided to throw water to the floor and slide on it, on wednesday he had a water gun to refresh the crowd (with which the band was hanging on during the headliner's set).

Great way to kick things off with some good old-fashioned rowdy fun!

P1280713+-+copia++edit.jpeg

Last summer Slaves were given the honour of supporting The Libertines for Ibiza Rocks' 10th anniversary party and this time the two-piece band, now renowned as one of the most exciting live acts in the world, returned as headliners.

The duo from Kent, consisting of Isaac Holman as lead singer and drummer and his partner in crime Laurie Vincent on guitars, played a good mix of old and new. From the beginning with "Ninety Nine" till the end with "The Hunter", their show was electrifying and it also featured "Live Like An Animal", "Sockets", "Cheer Up London" and "Hey" (from their acclaimed debut Are You Satisfied? from 2015) mixed with the single "Where's Your Car Debbie?", the older "Suicide", "White Knuckle Ride" and "She Grew Old" (from their EP Sugar Coated Bitter Truth from 2012) and even up to five new choons, as mental as their previous stuff.

You have to admire the stunning simplicity, freshness and cheerful spirit of their songs. This, combined with the fact they're brilliant entertainers, makes them difficult to resist. Raw high energy all the way through!

P1280901+-+copia.JPG

As usual, people had the chance to carry on at Ibiza Rocks Bar with the resident DJs or at Pikes with the Rock Nights crew...

Ibiza Rocks line-ups and tickets here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

In the mist of my euphoria, I was interrupted by a clanking sound beneath my feet, followed by screams. The band had thrown a drum stick into the crowd and for the first time in my life, I felt like a winner - clamping hold of my drumstick for dear life, I left Ibiza Rocks with one of my best memories yet.
Read Ruby Munslow's review here.

Slaves setlist:
Ninety Nine
Live Like An Animal
Suicide
Sockets
White Knuckle Ride
Spit It Out [new song]
Hyptonised [new song]
Cheer Up London
Rich Man [new song]
She Grew Old