Skiing

Beckiboo

I am looking at going skiing for the first time early next year.... but haven't got a clue where to start looking for a holiday!
Can anyone recommend some nice resorts for beginners? I've heard that UCPA are pretty cheap and run one week skiiing courses, with all food/accom included etc?

Any advice appreciated :)

Hi,

I've always found www.neilson.co.uk and www.crystalski.co.uk to be very good

Resorts, i can only comment on where i've been. Out of the places i've been I would reccomend Alpes d'huez or la clusaz for beginners.

And if I was starting out again, I would do a certain amount of training here, so you can snowplough and turn at the very least, and then do an hour of two a day on your holiday with a local ski school (like the ESF in france). Then its not too intensive and you get to enjoy your time on the slopes, instead of spending the best part of the day following a group of people in a ski school.

Once you have the basics, you will learn more bombing about on your own.

Have fun

I have only been to Chamonix so I can't really compare.

But we are going to Meribel this winter and I have heard that the nursery slopes are very good with free lift passes.

Ive done a fair bit of anowboarding around France and Whisler in Canada. First off if price is an issue the cheapest place will probably be Andorra. The resorts there suit beginners as the mountain ranges arent as severe as the alps. The issue with Andorra is that its slightly warmer so can have dodgy snow if its a bad season.
France theres so many places to choose from and each have their ups and downs. Somewhere like Chamonix or Val D'Isere are propper villages / towns so have more of a traditional , bustling feel about them where as places like Tignes , Avoriaz , Les Arcs and Mottaret are purpose built purely for skiing so your right up in the mountains as opposed to in the valley. This has the benefit of having everything on your door but can feel a little bleak at times.
Also when you go is important. New Year is very expensive and snow can be dodgy if its been a bad start. Febuary is the busiest month as all of france have staggerd holidays so its really busy the whole month. January is the cheapest or if you want some sun go in March.
Having never done it and always ended up spending a fortune if you can get a good deal on an all in chalet or something it could work out to be the best value.
Crystal are very good and have a very wide selection. Their brochures normaly have guides to the best resorts depending on what you want/what level you are so thats probs a good place to start

Best way to start skiing is by getting 1 on 1 instruction!!
You'll learn far quicker! In a group you learn at the pace of the slowest which can be very frustrating!!
Most resorts have Nursery slopes, at the bottom of the mountain, you wont be taken up til you are ready for it!

I learnt in Val D'Isere! Amazing place!

Best way to start skiing is by getting 1 on 1 instruction!!
You'll learn far quicker! In a group you learn at the pace of the slowest which can be very frustrating!!!

this....!!! but if you cant afford one on one lessons, group lessons are the way to go if you are just starting out..... you will notice an improvement within a week with lessons....
my sister is working @ chamonix & she reckons its the bomb!

have fun! :twisted:

hello! I'm bumping this one up again :)

Is it better to book a whole package when skiing. I.e ski equipment hire, ski pass, flights, accomodation, ski tuition etc. OR is it better to book the flights and accomodation and sort everything out when you get there?

It seems less hassle to buy a package now, but I'm sure there will be loads of competitive pricing once I arrive at the resort?

I'm really struggling with booking this, just haven't got a clue what to look for!

if u are a total beginner i would say book a package so its all taken care of.If you book it through someone like Crystal they will probs deliver your lift pass to you on the first morning which is one less thing to think about. Entry level ski hire is much of a muchness id say so if the package seems reasonable then go for it.You will find equal deals in the resort it just depends whether you want to shop around and have a choice.
Have you decided where you're going?

hello! I'm bumping this one up again :)

Is it better to book a whole package when skiing. I.e ski equipment hire, ski pass, flights, accomodation, ski tuition etc. OR is it better to book the flights and accomodation and sort everything out when you get there?

It seems less hassle to buy a package now, but I'm sure there will be loads of competitive pricing once I arrive at the resort?

I'm really struggling with booking this, just haven't got a clue what to look for!

As a novice I would definately book a package with a reputable ski holiday company. As for 'competeive pricing upon arrival', its not that easy. They tend to only look after locals and workers in the resorts.

If you go with a reputable company, you'll get the whole package at a reasonable price, have English speaking reps when there, will be protected for all different aspects for the trip, they can arrange lessons, give tips for apres ski, arrange excursions (Make sure you do tobogganing) etc etc

We did self catering with Erna Low a few years back, I was quite impressed.

How many of you are going ? If its a group, seriously look into getting a chalet.

Probably just the two of us, going to Chamonix (I think). There just seems like soooo many things to decide on! Where to go, accomodation, transport... then all the added extras; ski pass, equipment, tuition.

Arrghhh?!

I found a deal with UCPA to Chamonix for £580, all meals/drinks, accomodation, hire of equipment, ski pass, 6 days tuition etc. Seems pretty good to me. Only downside is asthey're a budget ski company aimed at young people, you get a choice of saying in a hostel (!!) or a twin room (which looks VERY basic). I am tempted to book this as once it's booked we're more or less done with decisions!

I found a deal with UCPA to Chamonix for £580, all meals/drinks, accomodation, hire of equipment, ski pass, 6 days tuition etc. Seems pretty good to me. Only downside is asthey're a budget ski company aimed at young people, you get a choice of saying in a hostel (!!) or a twin room (which looks VERY basic). I am tempted to book this as once it's booked we're more or less done with decisions!

Is that with flights ?? Not bad.

Try looking here http://www.pv-holidays.com/ They are a French company that actually own (most of) the acomodation on their site, so they cut out the middle man. They are part of the MGM group I believe. We use them regularly and have been happy up until now ;)

Chamonix is a nice town with an actual history to it rather than a purpose built resort so lots to do there and plenty of facilities. Its quite spread out tho so u may find yourself getting the bus to/from some bits (should be free with lift pass)

Probably just the two of us, going to Chamonix (I think). There just seems like soooo many things to decide on! Where to go, accomodation, transport... then all the added extras; ski pass, equipment, tuition.

Arrghhh?!

When you going Becki? I'm in Chamonix for a week from 30 Jan. First beers on me if we happn to clash!

Unfortunately skiing isn't on the cards anymore :( I just didn't have a clue of what/where to book and everyone had different recommendations. I think I'll go for my first time with other people who've been before.

I've booked a week in Morocco instead, first week of Jan :)

Unfortunately skiing isn't on the cards anymore :( I just didn't have a clue of what/where to book and everyone had different recommendations. I think I'll go for my first time with other people who've been before.

I've booked a week in Morocco instead, first week of Jan :)

Aww, shame, I would have happily shown the two of you the ropes.

Some mates decided we'd go in the pub last night, so we booked today. Luton to Geneva return for £100, pick up for an hours transfer to Chamonix works out at bugger all each really and we've got a nice chalet apartment for the 8 of us for 1000 euros between us.

Morocco will be cool though. Enjoy!

Aww, shame, I would have happily shown the two of you the ropes.

Some mates decided we'd go in the pub last night, so we booked today. Luton to Geneva return for £100, pick up for an hours transfer to Chamonix works out at bugger all each really and we've got a nice chalet apartment for the 8 of us for 1000 euros between us.

Morocco will be cool though. Enjoy!

I think it's probably better and more fun skiing in a group anyway. Hopefully next year I might get a crew of us on the slopes! :lol:
It was just all proving too much of a headache; which resort to go for, catered or non, ski equipment, tutoring etc etc. Plus all the deals I found were adding up to quite a bit of ££ aswell. There's mountains in Morocco so i might still see a bit of snow :p

Back