Seriously thinking of buying a rental apartment in Ibiza

I
Ok picture this

I'm a multi millionaire property magnet

I buy an entire block of flats and rent them out for 12 weeks a year. They stay empty the rest of year.

That was my point!
Im not hot on the laws , but I suspect the statement above is incorrect,

Mainly the part where it says entire blocks of apartments , if that was the case there would be a mass investment and the property farce over .

The good news for you is these laws are bringing property to the market and hopefully at a lower price .

In some cases though, apartment/house/villa owners may just want to rent property out to family and close friends with a fee to cover "expenses"

Is this frowned upon?

In some cases though, apartment/house/villa owners may just want to rent property out to family and close friends with a fee to cover "expenses"

Is this frowned upon?
Duno ,

If I was thinking about buying a place , I’d not let this rule stop me , I’d just not advertise the place on public websites

I think the best thing to do for anyone buying a place in Ibiza is to let us all know where the spare key is kept when you’re off the island, we'll leave a few pesetas in a brown envelope under the mattress before we leave and we’ll say nothing to the authorities about any of this silly licensing nonsense. It'll be our little secret.

you can't get any more licenses if it's an apartment, only a proper house.

Would that include a townhouse / terraced house or only detached houses like villas?

I agree that something needed to change anyway.

Duno ,

If I was thinking about buying a place , I’d not let this rule stop me , I’d just not advertise the place on public websites

My Mum and me were thinking about doing this. We even viewed some places in 2015 (and are kicking ourselves a bit for not going ahead!). The initial plan was for her to live there on and off in Autumn to Spring and then I could stay in Summer and 'rent' out to friends we knew when not there. So not complete strangers on Airbnb, etc.

I understand, and sympathize, with the housing problems of Ibiza residents.

But.... I bet the driving force behind these restrictions is the hotel owners, like the Matutes. Give people no other options and they will have to pay the inflated hotel prices.

I understand, and sympathize, with the housing problems of Ibiza residents.

But.... I bet the driving force behind these restrictions is the hotel owners, like the Matutes. Give people no other options and they will have to pay the inflated hotel prices.
Maybe but I’m pretty sure hotels are at capacity ,

The island has had a reality check , no longer can you get away with things like car itv running out .

Tax invasion is hot on there list

@Morbyd not the hotels this time. it‘s the residents that really (and with every right and reason) built a massive public pressure both in ibiza as well as mallorca

So for a relative who is a long term renter, lives on the island full time, will renting become dearer? Should there be more availability in theory?

Or will this be a chance for landlords to put rents up to ‘cover costs’

could someone please briefly clarify the new laws regarding renting out properties in ibiza?
a close friend is purchasing a 3 bed apartment (im not sure what makes an apartment or house? it is 3 beds over 2 levels with small pool) with the intention of renting for 3 months of the summer....is this still possible?

Last edited:
could someone please briefly clarify the new laws regarding renting out properties in ibiza?
a close friend is purchasing a 3 bed apartment (im not sure what makes an apartment or house? it is 3 beds over 2 levels with small pool) with the intention of renting for 3 months of the summer....is this still possible?
Quick answer ,

No

there are rentals still advertised on airbnb for example.....am i right in saying that these would be unlicenced and therefore bending the rules?

Depends. Some villas have tourist licenses. If it's an apartment, it can't have a license as this has never been allowed.

there are rentals still advertised on airbnb for example.....am i right in saying that these would be unlicenced and therefore bending the rules?

Apparently yes!

From my research, only detached houses/villas can apply for a tourist license, so at the moment much easier to buy one which already has a license.

Back