Scooters/Motorcycles - rider error or just dangerous?

S

Scenic

I seems pretty obvious that Scooters are a bad idea? I am curious why. Is it because the people getting hurt dont know how to ride them, or is it because the roads/drivers in Ibiza are that bad?

I'm going to be there in July and was definitely planning to get a motorcycle while I was there (probably 125cc). I'm an experienced rider...Is it still a bad idea??

There are a variety of factors that make the scooters unsafe:

1. as you correctly stated, some of the people don't know how to ride the scooters. Others are good riders but might be impaired by various 'substances'.

2. You are an experienced rider in the States. I'm from the States as well and found the round-about turns to be bit risky on a scooter.

3. If you are travelling in the peak months of July or August there is more traffic; with additional traffic there is an increased chance of accidents with the countless scooters buzzing in and out of lanes.

4. If you decide to still rent a motorcycle please avoid the major highway from Ibiza Town to San An at night -- too many deaths/accidents.

couldn't of said it better myself!
Scenic, its basically just not the best idea, experienced or not people are drunk mashed all over the place and the roads aren't the best or lit for that matter!
be VERY careful

premile said:
4. If you decide to still rent a motorcycle please avoid the major highway from Ibiza Town to San An at night -- too many deaths/accidents.

Yeah, that highway was even in FHM magazine as part of their "Most dangerous roads in the world" feature - not good...

i ride a bike and have a full licence...believe me i am getting a car over there...dont fancy a week in hospital...do yourself a favour get a car or just get taxis everywhere i know its grief at 6 in morning but its either back to appartment for more substances or off to hospital for plaster cast if you are lucky. sounds harshe i know i came off a scooter at 20 mph i was in hospital for 2 weeks and in plaster for 3 months...but up to you :confused:

Thanks for the info, I think I'll be avoiding it then. I was just curious if it was because ppl couldn't ride them, or were to messed up.

How about Jet ski's or something of that sort??

Scenic said:
1. Thanks for the info, I think I'll be avoiding it then. I was just curious if it was because ppl couldn't ride them, or were to messed up.

2. How about Jet ski's or something of that sort??

1. Good idea ;)

2. Never rented the jet ski's, sounds like fun.

Back