Sankeys Manchester Closing...

Bones

https://www.facebook.com/officialsankeys/posts/10152721677945392

Rumours have been flying around about the future on Sanseis MCR, please read below....

Sankeys in Manchester is closing its doors with an all day party on Monday May 6th, the end of a real era in dance music culture which has run each weekend for over 7 years.

The iconic and legendary club which has always defied expectation, epitomised the spirit of the underground and dared to go where others have feared to tread, is signing off for the summer.

David Vincent explains, “I have decided to close Sankeys in Manchester indefinitely this summer as I focus my attention on our third year in Ibiza. I want our Ibiza project to be the best club in the world, just like what we have achieved previously in Manchester, as I get the feeling this could be our summer. But I need my production and staff from Manchester to come to Ibiza with me to achieve this goal and therefore both clubs cannot be open at the same time. Who knows when we will be back in Manchester, or if we ever will be back, or what comes next in this great city I love. I want this current chapter of the club's history to end with a spectacular party, so we are rounding off the May bank holiday with a huge line-up. It's an 12 hour marathon set from 1pm to 1am on Monday 6th, with a stellar cast of names and the Sankeys Manchester residents, in the spirit of our epic 12-hour Tenaglia sessions.”

The closing show features global techno legend and Rejected label co-founder Joris Voorn, Berlin's Desolat queen tINI, London legend and Fuse founder Enzo Siragusa and Darius Syrossian all in attendance. The club's residents, Jozef K and Us & Them, play their final sets too during this epic session, and finally Bones makes the trip over from Ibiza, one of Sankeys' residents there. Also there are two very special guests to be announced on the day that Sankeys are keeping a closely guarded secret.

David concludes, “I have had some truly amazing memories in Manchester, many brilliant highs including being recognised for contributing significant culture to the city of Manchester at a national museum and also quite a few challenging lows, in a journey which will continue around the world. We have made our name in Manchester as The World's Best Club in the DJ Mag Awards 2010, and the Sankeys spirit will live on there. I want to say huge thanks all of the DJs, live acts, promoters and agents that I have worked with, and all of the Sankeys staff who have helped shape the club during the last 13 years. And most importantly, Sankeys simply wouldn't exist without our loyal crowd who have made us what we are today, and I want to say thanks to every one of you. Finally, all I can say right now about what happens next is quite simply: watch this space....

:cry:

My thoughts:

Something, somewhere has, & is, going very wrong for Sankeys & Dave Vincent.

What happened to the "Seven Sankeys of the World"?!?!

Struggle to see how the Manchester venue does anything but make a healthy profit. Ibiza had a great season last year, but still some failures in regards to certain nights - maybe there are still playing catch-up from their poor debut season in terms of finances?

If DV feels he must put his sole focus on Ibiza, are you really telling me that there is not a single person/s in this world he trusts to run Manchester in his absence?! Maybe he is more disliked in the industry than I gave him credit for.

And what a damning indictment on the staff at Ibiza Sankeys, and indeed the talentpool of potential workers in Ibiza, that he considers the only option to ship in his existing workforce from the UK. Does he think Ibizian natives don't know how to run a club properly?! :spank: Or is it just that nobody of a high enough calibre wants to work for him?

I can understand sending a handful of your workers, or swapping people here and there to bring fresh ideas to each venue, but to that extreme?!

My thoughts:

Something, somewhere has, & is, going very wrong for Sankeys & Dave Vincent.

What happened to the "Seven Sankeys of the World"?!?!

Struggle to see how the Manchester venue does anything but make a healthy profit. Ibiza had a great season last year, but still some failures in regards to certain nights - maybe there are still playing catch-up from their poor debut season in terms of finances?

If DV feels he must put his sole focus on Ibiza, are you really telling me that there is not a single person/s in this world he trusts to run Manchester in his absence?! Maybe he is more disliked in the industry than I gave him credit for.

And what a damning indictment on the staff at Ibiza Sankeys, and indeed the talentpool of potential workers in Ibiza, that he considers the only option to ship in his existing workforce from the UK. Does he think Ibizian natives don't know how to run a club properly?! :spank: Or is it just that nobody of a high enough calibre wants to work for him?

I can understand sending a handful of your workers, or swapping people here and there to bring fresh ideas to each venue, but to that extreme?!

I think it's significantly as a result of the WHP in manchester. I may be telling you what you knew, but the chap who owns WHP used to co-own sankeys. Had a non compete, then set up WHP after that expired. Sankeys dj line ups went to pieces during WHP period as presumably no one was going. Word in manchester (as i know it!) is its a commercial closing, nothing more. Ibiza a bit ofa red herring.

Sankeys Manchester still fills up the basement and in Ibiza it's fast getting a great reputation, specially amongst the workers. They've just opened one in New York too, so I doubt they're struggling. I also know someone that's friends with Jozef K who says it's just closed for the summer.

Saying he needs the workers over there is a strange one though. Bet he's not sending them to NY.

sankeys manchester has been getting a bit of a bad reputation lately. the crowd has went massively down hill. throw in the shocking management (turning away loads of people with tickets at nights as they have over sold) and maybe he feels its time to shut it before it gets worse. wouldnt read anything into him saying hes taking all the team from manchester with him. maybe 5 or so folk or something id guess

sankeys ibiza for me last year was the best club on the island. the residencies look brilliant for this year, can only see it being even better

Sankeys Manchester still fills up the basement and in Ibiza it's fast getting a great reputation, specially amongst the workers. They've just opened one in New York too, so I doubt they're struggling. I also know someone that's friends with Jozef K who says it's just closed for the summer.

Saying he needs the workers over there is a strange one though. Bet he's not sending them to NY.
There is no Sankeys in NYC, didn't space open in the building instead?

In terms of more international news, we're looking to open Sankeys New York in mid-July if everything goes according to plan and there is a chance that this winter, Sankeys Miami will open as well."

I think it's significantly as a result of the WHP in manchester. I may be telling you what you knew, but the chap who owns WHP used to co-own sankeys. Had a non compete, then set up WHP after that expired. Sankeys dj line ups went to pieces during WHP period as presumably no one was going. Word in manchester (as i know it!) is its a commercial closing, nothing more. Ibiza a bit ofa red herring.

WHP - Warehouse Project.

Sorry, not open now, but opening. This is off the fb page on the 4th April....

We are very happy to announce that Sankeys NYC got its liquor licence yesterday to open Sankeys New York. We aim to open the club in July this summer. A further statement to be announced soon.

In terms of more international news, we're looking to open Sankeys New York in mid-July if everything goes according to plan and there is a chance that this winter, Sankeys Miami will open as well."

Hey, are you guys gonna renovate the Sankeys NYC space? I think it's pretty new but if I remember correctly the layout and DJ booth wasn't really Sankeys-esk

They are ripping people off again, there is now a closing party after party, guess where it is? Yep that's right, Sankeys! And it starts at midnight and you have to buy ANOTHER ticket for it! So if you are going to the closing party but don't have a ticket for the after party, you will be kicked out at midnight (despite them saying the closing party goes till 1am...)

Back