Ryanair

matt thomas

Anyone used them before? I have heard nightmare stories about them with hidden charges etc at the airport. Thinking of flying with them to Ibiza this summer as its the cheapest flight I can find and from an airport near to me.

Thanks.

In the past I have been their biggest critic, but planned carefully you can get some bargain flights. Beware of all the hidden costs that can be sprung upon what looks like a giveaway opening price.

If you have time apply for their own in house mastercard cash card thing (not a credit card but one of those cards you load with cash). This is the only way to avoid the admin fee that is charged each direction

Ensure you hand luggage is within their own bespoke cabin bag measurements. They will stop you boarding if it does not fit in the metal cradle or watch as you unload stuff from your bag.

Ensure your hold luggage is no more than a few grams over the 15k limit. They charge you something like £30 per kilo excess baggage charges and enforce it like you wouldn't believe.

Prepare for a rugby type scrum to get seats, it can get rough!

Have a read through this list so you know what to lookout for when booking;

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-tableoffees

What we luv says - plan it well and if you have one of those Post Office cards that you can add cash to rather than usuing your debit/credit then you wont have any stupid charges to add :)

(Also - I have a friend who will wear the majority of his clothes for the flight rather than take a bag - he fills his pockets with undewear, wears several t shirts and jumpers and has been know to wear 2 jackets also !!) :lol::lol::lol:

And dont book Priority Boarding for Ibiza Airport.

Had to laugh at the dozen or so fools who lined up at the Priority Boarding Q at Ibiza Aiport only to find out that they had to wait on a bus, with everybody else, to be ferried out to the plane.

I would ask for my money back.:) As Priority Boarding does not apply to Ibiza Airport....

WOOPS Shouldn't have mentioned that. Pacha will be there tomorrow with a "VIP" boarding gate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And dont book Priority Boarding for Ibiza Airport.

Had to laugh at the dozen or so fools who lined up at the Priority Boarding Q at Ibiza Aiport only to find out that they had to wait on a bus, with everybody else, to be ferried out to the plane.

I would ask for my money back.:) As Priority Boarding does not apply to Ibiza Airport....

WOOPS Shouldn't have mentioned that. Pacha will be there tomorrow with a "VIP" boarding gate :)

Last time we flew with ryanair, on the return from Ibiza, we started the queue thinking we would be first to board. We went through the gate first, were then held on the steps as the priority boarders were taken to the plane first, then ended up squashed at the front of the bus and were last out!

The wife actually booked me as a priority boarder this time so I get to snag four seats together, it is very concerning knowing your child might be sat next to a total wierdo at the back of the plane many rows away from parents. People act like freaks when it comes to boarding the plane and will giveup their seats for nobody. Funnily enough she had to book me totally separate, the onlie booking systems would only allow none or all the party as priority boarders.

Flying with Ryanair is not too enjoyable imho, they make the process as unpleasant as possible from start to finish. Never has "you get what you pay for" been so relevant!

Last time we flew with ryanair, on the return from Ibiza, we started the queue thinking we would be first to board. We went through the gate first, were then held on the steps as the priority boarders were taken to the plane first, then ended up squashed at the front of the bus and were last out!

The wife actually booked me as a priority boarder this time so I get to snag four seats together, it is very concerning knowing your child might be sat next to a total wierdo at the back of the plane many rows away from parents. People act like freaks when it comes to boarding the plane and will giveup their seats for nobody. Funnily enough she had to book me totally separate, the onlie booking systems would only allow none or all the party as priority boarders.

Flying with Ryanair is not too enjoyable imho, they make the process as unpleasant as possible from start to finish. Never has "you get what you pay for" been so relevant!

Yes I would agree. Ryanair staff are better drilled than the US Marine Corps. No means No.....

As a young often solo passenger I dont mind flyng with Ryan air, my major problem is the baggage allowance. If you have s suitacse that is heavy without anything in you can take barely anything. I've never had them weigh my carry on weirdly though (so I often put all the heavy stuff in there). Monarch weigh your carry on and many a time have they made me rearrange all my luggage.

I remember flying with them with my elederly grandad before and literally having to twist a mans arm to get him to move so I could sit with him. (at 90 years old he isn't the best flyer but like a stubborn old man refuses to get airport assistance so we can board first!)

I remember having the best ever cheese and ham toastie on board a ryan air flight on my way back from ibiza, it tasted like the best meal ever, but that was probably more to do with what Id been doing the weeks previous rather than it actually being amazing.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Looks like we are flying out with easyjet and back with monarch now saving ourselves a few quid.

I flew Ryanair last year, and had no problem, but i also took careful measures to make sure i avoided all of the hidden costs. As a budget traveler, you can really save money if you are traveling reasonably light, and dont might a little bit of hassle and ****ty seats to save some money.

great if your going for 5 days or less and dont need to check in luggage

went for 4 days with them last september and doing same again this year, 150 return

One of life's great misteries. My girlfriend only wears flimsey tops amd bikinis yet she needs about 25kg plus hand luggage packed to the rim every time.

If my suitcase goes over 10kg I'm disappointed!

One of life's great misteries. My girlfriend only wears flimsey tops amd bikinis yet she needs about 25kg plus hand luggage packed to the rim every time.

Men can go on holiday with just a carrier bag. Fact.

I usually take most of my wardrobe and wear only a third of what I take, I have no idea why - but this happens every year! :spank:

So you end up putting her excess in your bag, I presume? :lol:

I'm usually close to the limit going to Ibiza, mainly because I prefer to wear jeans at night and change shirts, so I've basically got 2 sets of clothes for day and night. (and I usually go for 10 or more days)

So you end up putting her excess in your bag, I presume? :lol:

I'm usually close to the limit going to Ibiza, mainly because I prefer to wear jeans at night and change shirts, so I've basically got 2 sets of clothes for day and night. (and I usually go for 10 or more days)

I never bother with jeans in Ibiza. The clubs are hot enough in shorts, a t shirt and sandals!

I've flown Ryanair when desperate but for more than one night I can't stay within the baggage allowance :spank:. Laptop and electrics alone takes up the handluggage and I end up being a Northerner and boarding wearing 3 pairs of shorts, a pair of trousers, 4 shirts and a warm top.

The aroma of sweat by the time I board must be choking. I take a lightweight holdall in my handluggage. First chance I get I go to the toilet on-board and decant everything into bag 2 :lol:. Usually pay for a bag on the return as I'd die of heat exhaustion trying to wear everything on the way back in the Summer.

pay more and fly a proper airline with far lesss hassle. cheap is not always good.

I've flown Ryanair when desperate but for more than one night I can't stay within the baggage allowance :spank:. Laptop and electrics alone takes up the handluggage and I end up being a Northerner and boarding wearing 3 pairs of shorts, a pair of trousers, 4 shirts and a warm top.

The aroma of sweat by the time I board must be choking. I take a lightweight holdall in my handluggage. First chance I get I go to the toilet on-board and decant everything into bag 2 :lol:. Usually pay for a bag on the return as I'd die of heat exhaustion trying to wear everything on the way back in the Summer.

Ryanair corner the market on many routes and travelers are left with no option.

I am being forced to wear a barbour wax jacket to fit my laptop and assorted bits and pieces in the inside pockets (designed to store fish and game!). Probably won't raise an eyebrow leaving Blightly in the sub zero spring temps!

Back