Royal Blood + Black Honey @ Ibiza Rocks Hotel, 04-07-17

McRackin

Super Moderator
Following the success of daytime parties like Craig David's TS5 or Cuckoo Land, Ibiza Rocks has introduced some changes, expanding hours and transforming into all-day events. Each of the five Ibiza Rocks Day & Night events, taking place on selected dates throughout july, august and september, kick off at 2pm on the poolside stage with resident DJs Patrick Nazemi (this summer also ressie of The Redlight at Sankeys), Danny Beck and Oli P until 4pm, when Radio 1's Mistajam takes over until 7pm. Then it's time for the main stage performances until 11pm, with some of the Rock Nights DJs (who continue hosting the after party at Pikes) on the warm up duties. If those changes weren't big enough news, it returns to tuesdays (after six years happening on wednesdays) and the stage has been moved to its original place (after four years facing the pool).

Black Honey played at Croatia Rocks two years ago and, fortunately for us, they came here too. With various singles and EPs out on independent labels and self-released, the female-led band from Brighton is destined to do big things. The band is like Wolf Alice's younger sibling as their powerful music is similar in essence to what Ellie Rowsell and co are doing but less angry and more approachable.

As soon as Izzy, Chris, Tom and Tommy appeared onstage it was hard to keep the eyes away from the singer's gestures and facial expressions. Special mention to the moment when the rhythm section left the stage while she and Chris performed a stripped down version of "Cadillac". We had the chance to meet Izzy afterwards at the new Bowie-inspired bar Ziggys (located at the front of the hotel and previously known as Wok On) and she was lovely.

Black Honey were a great choice to open for fellow Brightonians Royal Blood... actually, a band that releases heart-shaped vinyls can only be cool.

P1340809+-+copia.JPG

Fat Gordon (Rock Nights) alredy debuted at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel last season, warming up for Kaiser Chiefs. Like the previous time, the DJ from Valencia took control of the stage blasting out some proper rock tunage.

P1340910+-+copia.JPG

Last year Ibiza Rocks brought back Slaves as headliners for the opening party and this summer it was the turn of another duo. I've been campaigning for them to book Royal Blood since I first heard the mighty two-piece. With their self-titled debut album (2014) they became one of the biggest breakthrough bands of recent years and the new How Did We Get So Dark? (released two weeks ago) confirms them as one of the finest bands nowadays, even getting a well-deserved support slot for Queens Of The Stone Age's upcoming North American tour.

Vocalist and bassist Mike Kerr and drummer Ben Thatcher provided an excellent show with hits like "Little Monster", "Figure It Out" or "Out Of The Black" mixing in new songs like "Lights Out", "I Only Lie When I Love You" or "Hook, Line & Sinker", proving that the two of them are able to deliver a raw but huge sound that many bands with more members struggle to achieve. Watching Ben ripping the drum kit apart was an spectacle in itself.

Only an hour but what an amazing hour... the most intense gig of the year so far since former Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell's band destroyed the old Gala Night in may.

P1350088+-+copia.JPG

Nine hours of music in total followed by an official after party at the Ibiza Rocks Bar and an invite-only one at Pikes for those who feel like dancing until dawn and hanging out with the members of the bands... if this sounds like a plan to you, here's all the info you need:

:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

The comedy moment came right at the end of Royal Blood's show when the drummer jumped into the crowd with a Ground Zero inflatable guitar.

P1350197+-+copia+edit.jpeg

Ibiza Rocks said:
This is how we do it! Royal Blood shredding it in Ibiza

Pete Spencer said:

Ground Zero said:
Ben Thatcher, Royal Blood's drummer throwing one of our Ground Zero inflatable guitars in to the crowd at Ibiza Rocks tonight!

Will we count this as an endorsement?
1f602.png

BLACK HONEY SETLIST:
Madonna
Bloodlust
Sleep Forever
All My Pride
Somebody Better
Hello Today
Cadillac
Spinning Wheel
Corrine

ROYAL BLOOD SETLIST:
Where Are You Now?
Lights Out
Come On Over
I Only Lie When I Love You
Little Monster
Hook, Line & Sinker
Hole in Your Heart
Figure It Out
Loose Change
Ten Tonne Skeleton
Out Of The Black

Royal Blood - Where Are You Now?

Royal Blood - Lights Out

Royal Blood - Come On Over

Royal Blood - Little Monster
Royal Blood - Out Of The Black

9 hours | 2 stages | 1 home of live music in Ibiza
1f918.png

Missed out on Royal Blood headlining our first Day & Night show of the season (where were you!?) here’s what went down…

Back