Roger Federer

WeLuvIbiza

Undoubtedly the highlight of my close season was last night watching my all time sporting hero show flashes of the brilliance that has led to him being described as the best ever.

One year ago the media were almost united in hailing Federer as the geratest ever. The media buzz this year has been of his demise, how bleeding stoopid, three finals, one win, one semi final for the slams.

The level of commitment and focus required to remain at the top in tennis is unthinkable. Other players are exciting, brilliant, Nadal is a machine but no other player (for me at least) quite takes the breath away as Federer does on occasions.

Roll on January:)

I watched the 2nd and 3rd sets of the final last night. He is simply too good. Another worthy crown for the king.

Fed's 1st set was out of this world, back to his all time best.

Good tournament. I think the love / hate relationship the english crowd has wtih Murray is hilarious. I know many english who wanted him to get battered.

Next year will be amazing.. great battles between the top 3. Don't think Murray is yet up to their standard, he has to be in more Slam finals and winning more Master's Series before it can be considered a top 4.

Really thought Murray was in with a chance, probably 1 game too far!
Fed destroyed bhim, playing some awesome tennis!

was gutted to see murray lose but great to see tennis's REAL number 1 back to his best!!! he would have destroyed Nadal on that form lastnight ......

superb sportsmanship from both men afterwards ......

I think the love / hate relationship the english crowd has wtih Murray is hilarious. I know many english who wanted him to get battered.

That is all based on comments Murray made priore to an England football game, when he said, he prefer any team to win against England!

Thats why primarily i have taken a while to start to like him!

That is all based on comments Murray made priore to an England football game, when he said, he prefer any team to win against England!

:lol:
just another normal scottish lad then eh? ;)

was gutted to see murray lose but great to see tennis's REAL number 1 back to his best!!! he would have destroyed Nadal on that form lastnight ......

superb sportsmanship from both men afterwards ......

thing is, the same way you can't say murray beat nadal and nadal regularly beats fed so therefore murray should beat fed........then the same way you can't put nadal in the final and losing.

rafa has had the most amazing season, his achievements are much greater than federer cos he has so much less natural tennis ability than him. that makes it all the more impressive. i think this was one tourney too far for him but he is a truly great sportsman.

the other thing is that rafa is fed's nemesis and you can guarantee he would have got under his skin from the first ball. rafa would have defo made more of a game of it against fed due to his defensive play, which is IMO the best ever in the history of tennis, seriously.

How great is it to have this rivalry though? Nadal v Federer.

It's like the Lendl/McEnroe, Conners/McEnroe or Sampras/Agassi or Graf/Seles of this decade. It provides a narrative. Makes tennis richer. And adds even more drama when guys like Djokovic or Murray can crash the party.

I hope they stay at it, on this level.

the other thing is that rafa is fed's nemesis and you can guarantee he would have got under his skin from the first ball. rafa would have defo made more of a game of it against fed

Agreed, although fed does love the hard courts. Fed possibly thinks about the game on the French clay a few months back and feel a physical pain:cry: During the close season one could imagine fed working on nothing else but strategies to beat Nadal in France:) Six am on Christmas day scribbling furiously on his white board "I will beat Nadal in France" "I will beat Nadal in France"...:lol:

I hope he does well in just don't want him to win Wimbledon. Couldn't bear the thought of them helmets sitting on Murray's Mount (:eek:) with their faces painted eating strawberries embrassing the whole of the UK with their sheenanigans!!! We'll have Sir Clitt sorry Cliff out singing Living Doll and Summer Holiday. This sort of thing must be stopped!

I hope he does well in just don't want him to win Wimbledon. Couldn't bear the thought of them helmets sitting on Murray's Mount (:eek:) with their faces painted eating strawberries embrassing the whole of the UK with their sheenanigans!!! We'll have Sir Clitt sorry Cliff out singing Living Doll and Summer Holiday. This sort of thing must be stopped!

Murrayfield they call it now, no?

He isn't the easiest person to like because he comes across as such a miserable sod, regardless of his obvious anti England chip-on-the-shoulder.

Federer vs Murray: 2-2

Federer won in Bangkok 2005 and US open 2008
Murray won in Cincinnati 2006 and Dubai 2008.

Back