Robder - Balearic sessions 3 (Cambodia)

Robder

Robder - Balearic sessions 3 (Cambodia)

a452-a6ca-4151-a598-c12b0caedbe8

Cambodia - the last great paradise on Earth (or one of). From sunrise at Angkor Wat to the sunset fishing boats off Kampot, late night tuk tuk tours and luminescent, glowing plankton, during midnight swims off Koh Rong Samloem.

This was the perfect backdrop for part three of my Balearic masterclass; a mutable genre and moving goalpost that reinvents itself every decade. The mix was completed on a leap year day and is intended as part of a trilogy, ringing in at over twelve hours/150 tracks (ha!).

Fittingly, for the 40th mix on Bunker Sessions, this is my most ambitious project to date. Proof that I’m firmly (and proudly) on the spectrum if there ever was any. ;) It’s given me a newfound respect for DJs who regularly curate long sets and I’m not sure I ever want to attempt anything similar!

Moments to watch for:
  • Danny Paradise was one of the first westerners to learn Ashtanga Yoga in the late 70s. He teaches in remote, jungle locations all over the world, boasting Sting, Madonna and Luciano Pavarotti (yes really) among his client list. I practiced with Danny in 2004 on Thailand’s Golden Buddha Beach. At sundown, he’d sing songs from his folk album, River of the soul (Paul Simon and Sting feature as guest collaborators and you should definitely check it out). ‘House of bamboo’ is the perfect mix opener - cute lyrics!
  • Carleen Anderson’s tribal opera, ‘Cage Street memorial’ was my favourite album of 2016. It’s a concept piece, mapping the history of her ancestry in the face of American apartheid. I was lucky enough to catch her Barbican gig - quite honestly one of the most memorable live shows I’ve ever witnessed. She sings a lot of the album through a digital harmoniser, which really works. Check out ‘All that glitters’ (1”51’25).
  • I sneaked in my own re-edit of Madonna’s - La isla bonita instrumental, which sounds like a cross between a Gloria Hunniford holiday advertorial and Balearic classic! ;) (3”47’17)
I officially no longer have any secrets buried in my record box - that’s your lot folks.

CAT LADY CLICKBAIT: This mix features Fred mewling samples and that’s my live gong sound at the start.

TRACKLISTING

* denotes edited by Robder.

SAMPLE - The BBC sound effects library - Oystercatcher calls, with skylark and heavy sea in background (Vol. 12 - British Birds) [BBC Records] 1978
SAMPLE - The BBC sound effects library, second edition - Ambience, rural Britain, sea cliffs and rocky shores (Vol. 52 - Exterior atmospheres / rural background) [BBC Records] 1990

SAMPLE - Gong bath (Rob Calcutt, Urban Healer, 17/12/13) [Unreleased] 2013
SAMPLE - Fred’s morning meow [Unreleased] 2019
SAMPLE - លោមនាង និង ស្រីស្រងាំ ភ្លេងសុទ្ធ - Khmer traditional song [Unreleased] 2019
SAMPLE - “I love listening to Bunker Sessions” [Unreleased] 2019
Danny Paradise - House of bamboo [Mesa] 2000
Danny Elfman - The End (Edward Scissorhands - original motion picture soundtrack) [MCA Records] 1990
Nick Drake - River man [Island Records] 1971
SAMPLE - David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust farewell speech (Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, 03/07/73) [EMI] 2003
Tom Middleton - Lament (live at Union Chapel, December 2000) [Big Chill Recordings] 2007
The Cure - All cats are grey [Fiction Records] 1981
Rhye - Phoenix [Loma Vista] 2017
Jameszoo feat. Arthur Verocai - Flu [Brainfeeder] 2016
Lonnie Liston Smith - We can dream [Columbia] 1978
Nancy Wilson - Sunshine [Capitol Records] 1979
Femi Kuti Vs KCRW Soundclash - Eh oh (Liza Richardson remix) [Mercer Street] 2009
MC Solaar - Bouge de là (Part 1) [Polydor] 1991
Anomalie - New space [Lowtemp] 2017
Hubbabubbaklubb - Mopedbart [Death Strobe Records] 2013
Max Essa - We can run [Bear Funk] 2010
Pixx - Peanuts grow underground [4AD] 2019
Big Wild feat. Rationale - 6’s to 9’s (Neil Frances remix) [Counter Records] 2019
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot [Arista] 1977
Bernard Herrmann - Diary of a taxi driver [Arista] 1976
SAMPLE - Airplane jet take off (Jumbo jet) (300 spectacular sound effects) [Madacy] 2006
OTT - Joyful wonderful [Backroom Beats] 2003
Mark E - Scared [Jiscomusic] 2005
Michael Kiwanuka - Hard to say goodbye [Polydor] 2019
Carleen Anderson - All that glitters [Freestyle Records] 2016
Dhaima - Sweat till your body’s wet [RQP] 1982
Carly Simon - Why (Vocal) [Mirage] 1982
Souleance - Sète [First Word Records] 2018
Millie Jackson - Leftovers [Spring Records] 1975
Rhetta Hughes - Throwin' it all away [Sutra Records] 1980
Alfa Mist - Glad I lived [Sekito] 2019
The Kenneth Bager Experience feat. Sofie Gråbøl - What’s my name? (Extended disco mix) [Music For Dreams America] 2014
SAMPLE - Ken Nordine - Sound museum [MCA Records] 1983
Jamie Woon - Sharpness [PMR Records] 2015
Mono - Hello Cleveland [Echo] 1997
George Benson - Nature boy [Warner Bros. Records] 1977
Ahmad Jamal - Swahililand [20th Century Records] 1974
Tosca - Orozco [!K7 Records, G-Stone Recordings] 2000
Anne Clark - Nightship [SPV Records] 1993
Prophet - I do love [Stones Throw Records] 2018
Rah Band - Clouds across the moon (Super nova mix) [RCA] 1985
Yazz feat. Colonel Mite - Fine time [Big Life] 1989
Linda Lewis - So many mysteries to find [Arista] 1977
Gloria Jay - Know what you want [Stage Productions] 1977
Ashley Henry and the RE:ensemble - The world is yours (Ashley Henry Version) [Silvertone Records] 2018
Chaka Khan - What you did [Warner Bros. Records] 1980
Baxter Drury, Étienne de Crécy, Delilah Holliday - Only my honesty matters [PIAS France, Heavenly Recordings] 2018
Madonna - La isla bonita (Instrumental) [Sire] 1987*
Columba Carina - Breezin [Ascension Music] 1999
Pat Metheny Group - Slip away [Geffen Records] 1989*
Kathy Kosins - Seria voce como eu (Could you be me) (45rpm radio single mix) [Maristar Productions Inc.] 2018
Johnny Hammond Smith - Los conquistadores chocolates (Dim's Super Jizzco Brakes Suite) [Face The Music Records] 2005
Jaki Whitren & John Cartwright - This Time (Al Usher remix) [Emotional Rescue] 2016
Natural Experience feat. Kayo - Don’t leave me (I’m with u) [The Brothers Organisation] 1990*
Patti Jo - Make me believe in you (Black Science Orchestra re-edit) [Original Sound Track Recordings] 1999
Ghia - You won’t sleep on my pillow [Mikado Records] 1991
Letta Mbulu - Nomalizo [Word And Sound Medien] 2018
Psychemagik - Valley of Paradise (The Time and Space Machine Remix) [Psychemagik] 2011
The Passions - I'm in Love with a German Film Star [Polydor] 1981
Clio - Faces (Original extended version) [Chic] 1985
Man Jumping - Aerotropix (Free fall mix) [Cocteau Records] 1985
Stephanie Mills - The medicine song [Casablanca] 1984
Ashford and Simpson - Bourgié Bourgié (Joe Claussell’s classic remix) [Groovin Recordings] 2017
Primal Scream - Come together [Creation Records] 1991
Vera Lynn - We’ll meet again [Decca] 1939

Great selection as ever. Esp Nomalizo and German Filmstar. And big fan of psychmagik valley of paradise, which is actually far more fun than the david crosby og. It's basically just a list of French towns and cities but which sounds incredibly romantic to the untrained ear! Very different to when the KLF also rattled off a list of (English) towns in 'it's grim up north' !

Aaah - THANK YOU for pointing that one out.

I was racking my brains trying to work out the origins of that sample. Good to know! (and hope you enjoy!) ;)

Back