Robder - Balearic sessions 1 (Ibiza)

Robder

Robder - Balearic sessions 1 (Ibiza)

Bunker Sessions (2).png

CAT LADY CLICKBAIT: This mix features Fred mewling samples and that’s my live gong sound at the start. :)

In 2019, I spent a LOT of time navel gazing on beaches. This prompted a rabbit hole of research across Ibiza, Croatia and Cambodia. Time spent road testing & whittling down 500+ carefully selected tracks.

I really wanted to create something beautiful with this series. It’s my attempt to compile the perfect Balearic setlist, with a focus on curation (beat matching is for dullards - fight me!). I’ve lived this project for six-months, sleepless nights included (!) and it feels liberating to be set free from the cage of faddy genre restrictions!

If you’re stuck in office purgatory and don’t have the luxury of a beach and sunset Campari, I’ve littered the mix with seagull caws & crashing waves (a nice touch, but possibly shit for productivity).

It’s hard to namecheck individual tracks because they all mean so much, but there are a couple of nice factoids:
  • Teacher, Dr Mary Sullvan Bain, found few of her students knew a great deal about black history. A song came to her in a dream, which later evolved into the proto-techno symphony, “Do you know black history” (32’00). Originally a self-published single for educational purposes, the track never ventured further than public school libraries and the vaults of local radio stations. The record was shrouded in mystery until 2017, when a reissue brought worldwide recognition.
  • In 1980, Johnny Mathis recorded a funk session with Chic/Nile Rodgers. Unfortunately, Columbia Records got cold feet around its release (possibly due to the negative ‘disco sucks’ backlash of the era). The project was stuck in a vault for nearly four decades, eventually getting a 2017 dust-off. Let’s just say it was worth the wait. The funk reprise at the end of ‘Take Me’ is nothing short of orgasmic (1”46’36).
In the unlikely event that I’m given the opportunity to play to the sunset at Sa Trinxa (Playa Las Salinas, Ibiza), it might sound a bit like this.

¡Pura Vida! I hope you enjoy the journey!xxx

TRACKLISTING

* denotes edited by Robder.

SAMPLE - The BBC sound effects library - Oystercatcher calls, with skylark and heavy sea in background (Vol. 12 - British Birds) [BBC Records] 1978
SAMPLE - The BBC sound effects library, second edition - Ambience, rural Britain, sea cliffs and rocky shores (Vol. 52 - Exterior atmospheres / rural background) [BBC Records] 1990

SAMPLE - Gong bath (Rob Calcutt, Urban Healer, 17/12/13) [Unreleased] 2013
SAMPLE - Fred’s morning meow [Unreleased] 2019
Mark Knopfler - The rocks and the water [Vertigo] 1983
SAMPLE - Frank Churchill - Hiccups/Firewater/Bubbles/Did you see that?/Pink elephants on parade (Walt Disney’s Dumbo - original motion picture soundtrack) [Walt Disney Records] 2006
Vangelis Papathanassiou - La petite fille de la mer [Polydor] 1973
Henri Texier - Le Piroguier [Eurodisc] 1976
Amaro Freitas - Rasif [Far Out Recordings] 2018
Kiefer - Cute [Stones Throw Records] 2019
Footshooter feat. Brother Portrait - Dawn (Buffalo stance) [Famous Friends Records] 2018
Idjut Boys - One for Kenny (Extended LP version) [Smalltown Supersound] 2012
Dr Mary Sullivan Bain - Do you know black history [Backatcha Records] 2017
Nina Simone - Baltimore (ex-friendly reedit) [Unreleased] 2019
Nu Guinea - Ddoje facce [NG Records] 2018
Feater feat. Vilja Larjosto - Time million [Running Back Incantations] 2019
Joni Mitchell - Edith and the Kingpin [Asylum Records] 1975*
Afterlife - 5th & Avenida [Manifesto] 1999
Dexter Wansel - Sweetest pain [Philadelphia International Records] 1979
Jimi Bazzouka - Don’t hammer [Pandamaki Records] 2010
Caldera - Ancient source [Capitol Records] 1977
Soehngenetic - Din atrium [Echorec] 2010
SAMPLE - A woman’s point of view - Inside Deep Note: Music of 1970’s adult cinema [O.S.T. Grammofonpladen] 2003
Marianne Faithfull - Sex with strangers (Sly & Robbie dub mix) [Hut Recordings] 2002
Soft Cell - Numbers (The full 12” cruise ‘em and loose ‘em mix) [Sire] 1983
Róisín Murphy feat. Ali Love - Jacuzzi rollercoaster [The Vinyl Factory] 2018
Johnny Mathis - Take me [Columbia] 2018
The Specials feat. Saffiyah Khan - 10 Commandments [Island Records] 2019
Tom Fire - Little man [Wagram Music] 2011
TY - Groovement (Part 1) [Big Dada Recordings] 2003
Letta Mbula - Mahlalela (Lazy bones) [Tamla Motown] 1970
Patti Smith - Gimme shelter [Columbia] 2007
Joe Armon-Jones - Almost went too far [Brownswood Recordings] 2018
Badbadnotgood feat. Charlotte Day Wilson - In your eyes [Innovative Leisure Records] 2016
Antoine Kogut - L'Œillet Noir [Versatile Records] 2018
Guy Cuevas - Obsession (Nassau mix) [Island Records] 1982
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Down to Earth (Extended mix) [Mercury] 1986
Wham! - Club tropicana (Todd Terje edit) [TTJ] 2015
Sylvester - I need you (Opolopo remix) [Z Records] 2019
Young Gentlemen’s Adventure Society - Adventure party [International Feel Recordings] 2011
Phenomenal Handclap Band - Judge not (Ray Mang special mix) [Toy Tonics] 2018
The Biz - Falling (Slow it down edit) [Unreleased] 2011
Mugwump - Boutade (Miseridub) [Misericord] 2008
Unknown artist - Untitled (Slowhouse 2, love letters from a drumpoet in exile - B2) [Slowhouse Recordings] 2008*
Eddie C - Dub up the edit [Home Taping Is Killing Music] 2010
Eddie C - Tell me (Tornado Wallace remix) [Home Taping Is Killing Music] 2010
Deee-Lite - What is love? (Holographic goatee mix) [Elektra] 1990
Peggy Lee - Is that all there is? [Capitol Records] 1969

Oh my word what a project!

Both of these mixes look out of this world and I can see you've really put your heart and soul into these which needs applauding whatever the results are - amazing effort! Can't wait to listen and give them the time and attention they deserve!

Thank you for posting these, can't wait to dig in

Marvellous! So many stonecold faves on there! Would anyone in ibz ever play mugwump? Perhaps Malanga or Pikes at a stretch (which is where I hide out)

my ibz-based friends who occasionally do stuff with Malanga and Paradise Lost were over visiting last week. They were telling me there's still a little alternative bally scene for the 40+ who still want to let their hair down. means small-ish venues these days but there is a regular community

@Robder

"If you’re stuck in office purgatory and don’t have the luxury of a beach and sunset Campari, I’ve littered the mix with seagull caws & crashing waves (a nice touch, but possibly shit for productivity). "

Most welcome here in office purgatory today!

Back