RIP John Hughes

Morbyd

Death of a legend.

In my experience, no other filmmaker - no matter how critically-acclaimed, commercially-successful or thought-provoking his or her movies might be - has meant more to a whole generation.

As I put it in another thread not long ago:

Writer/Director/Producer John Hughes had his finger on the pulse of the 1980s. He understood what the decade was about, specifically in America but with some international truths. His use of popular music in films was revolutionary (Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful soundtracks still classics!). And you loved his characters, good and bad, busted stereotype after cliched antagonist.

16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Weird Science and his true masterpieces - Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Even Planes, Trains & Automobiles and (as writer) National Lampoon's European Vacation and Christmas Vacation had redeeming qualities and laughs a plenty. And while we might look back and cringe now, the original Home Alone was unique and funny.

So sad that, in the 1990s, he descended into writing 3 sequels to Home Alone and films like Maid in Manhattan. Even sadder that no one has filled that void in the past 20 years!

RIP indeed!!

The films that shaped my formative years John Hughes made it cool to sit in front of my pc with a bra on my head!!! :cry:

Still, on the brightside they'll probably have a season of John Hughes films on the telly...
I already downloaded them all ages ago, so that's not consolation!

It is odd, isn't it, that there's really no other writer/director that comes to mind, at least not over the past 20 years, who has come anywhere close to replicating that ability to encapsulate the life and emotions of an average teenager over a body of work?

I already downloaded them all ages ago, so that's not consolation!

It is odd, isn't it, that there's really no other writer/director that comes to mind, at least not over the past 20 years, who has come anywhere close to replicating that ability to encapsulate the life and emotions of an average teenager over a body of work?

I don't really understand the "body of work" bit, but i think I agree with you. He showed teens like what they are, not like what they are supposed to be, or what adults think that teens are or should be (Saw few weeks ago High School Musical with my older niece and I?m still shacking of horror :eek:), well you know hwat I mean

The breakfast club (El club de los cinco in spanish) is one of my fav films ever

DEP :cry:

I don't really understand the "body of work" bit, but i think I agree with you. He showed teens like what they are, not like what they are supposed to be, or what adults think that teens are or should be (Saw few weeks ago High School Musical with my older niece and I?m still shacking of horror :eek:), well you know hwat I mean

The breakfast club (El club de los cinco in spanish) is one of my fav films ever

DEP :cry:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back