REVIEW: Cream Opening Party at Amnesia

Pizzaman87

[FONT=&quot]Party/Event: Cream Opening Party [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Club: Amnesia

Date: June 18, 2009

DJs: Ferry Corsten, Sander Van Doorn, Gareth Wyn, Sied van Riel in the Main Room; Terrace - Eric Prydz, Sébastien Léger, Yousef, Anthony Probyn, Discobomb, Gavyn Mitchell

Cost of entry: 60€ for VIP Balcony Access from Ibiza-Spotlight.com

Cost of drinks:
8€ for water on Main Floor, 10€ for the same water in VIP, 8€ for a Budweiser in VIP

Transport: Took the Discobus from Playa den Bossa to the Eivissa Marina, and then to San Rafael. It cost 3€ per leg, so it cost 6€ to the club. I took a pirate taxi back to Playa den Bossa for 5€.[/FONT]

This night was the night I had been looking forward to since I was 14 years old and ever learned of Ibiza, Cream, and Amnesia’s infamous Ice Cannon. Prior to embarking on this trek to Ibiza, my best friend and I made sure we went all out by purchasing the 23€ upgrade for VIP Balcony access—and man was it worth it! While waiting in line, we accidentally went to the internet ticket line, only to be told that we were in the wrong line because we were on the GUEST LIST! Getting in was no problem, but the anxiousness and excitement was almost too much to overcome after so many years of waiting. After we received a half-assed frisk that basically touched our shoulders and that was it—we were in, cameras and all, hearing the tunes of euphoric trance blasting louder than a jet engine. Once inside, the club was perfectly laid out, with a main room featuring an amazing DJ booth that had lights that moved with the beat, a few polls and steps for people to dance on above the main dance floor, and a balcony for VIPs that overlooked the entire main room. The main room itself wasn’t as large as I had imagined from videos, but it was no let down, as the sound system was amazing, and the crowd was ready for the night to get going in full force by 2 AM. As for the Terrace—it was MASSIVE! It looked big enough to hold several thousand, and was at least two to three times as big as the main room, and featured several platforms with polls where people could dance on either side of the room, highlighted by a massive DJ booth at one end, and a huge bar with a projector screen at the other. Through this room, in addition to the main room, the VIP balcony could be accessed. Taking up on our opportunity, we went up to the VIP balcony and were amazed at the views of both the main room and terrace (see pics).

dxzudv.jpg

2itn6nm.jpg

As for the overall night, things went just about perfect, as the music was great and the crowd was constantly involved. One thing that Amnesia did that completely blew all of the other clubs out of the water was that they perfectly coordinated the buildup of energy in the club with the launch of the ice cannon—it came exactly as each song peaked, sending the crowd into an uncontrollable state of euphoria. Combined with the ice cannon, perfect 10 dancers and a 7 foot tall drag queen lined the front of the balcony around the main room all night to keep the crowd entertained and pumping during the 20 minute breaks when the ice cannon had to recharge. In addition to all of this, the club was kept perfectly cool, as atop the ceiling in the main room, vents flowed with a constant rush of cool CO2, and even though space at times was shoulder to shoulder, I never once broke a sweat the entire night at the club, even though I was there from opening til closing at about 6:30 AM. In the end, all of these things combined allowed to me to have a full understanding as to why Amnesia is truly considered the premier club on the island, and of the world.

r2uonm.jpg

2m85x7n.jpg

307th15.jpg

It should be noted that the club did have two minor flaws. First, and namely the biggest problem, was the overwhelming amount of broken glass on the dance floor. If you’re like me and looking for a reason to understand the exorbitant drink prices (8€ for water on the floor, 10€ at the VIP bar, and even more for alcohol), then this offers a perfect answer, as there had to have been at least 10,000 broken beer bottles and spirit glasses all over the floor. In fact, I even saw some people get cut who were wearing flip flops by stepping on this ever-present nuisance. So as a word of advice for Amnesia, use plastic bottles and cups, or as a word of advice to the clubber—wear closed-toed shoes! Second, the club didn’t differentiate between those who had VIP access and those who didn’t, so upon returning to the VIP balcony, we found ourselves in a situation where the bouncer (who was a different one than before) thought we were just making up a story, but eventually relinquished and let us return upstairs. Regardless of whether or not these two minor issues can be addressed, this is a nearly flawless club, and is definitely one that should never be missed on one’s summer pilgrimage to the White Isle!

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly cannot be called the premier club in the world with no chill out and a horrendous entrance/exit. :twisted:

But then again one can be more or less forgiving depending if the night suits you in general. If you like proper house/techno you go to Space, if not you head to Cream.

Nice to see a good review on Amnesia. The first time I went was in 1999 to the Godskitchen opening party which was completely amazing,I didnt even know about the Ice Canon so you can imagine my surprise when I was smack bang in the middle of the floor throwing shapes to 'its not over yet' when the next minute I'm getting blown almost to Kingdom come it was completely euphoric as you said! I also went to Cream that year... I didn't go again till 2007 to Cocoon and it was so full it was impossible to even walk anywhere let alone dance in the main room so I missed most of Sven Vath playing. It was pretty scarey but I really want to go to Cocoon again at some point and have considered getting vip incase of emergency lol.. It seems from your review that it was worth it

Nice to see a good review on Amnesia. The first time I went was in 1999 to the Godskitchen opening party which was completely amazing,I didnt even know about the Ice Canon so you can imagine my surprise when I was smack bang in the middle of the floor throwing shapes to 'its not over yet' when the next minute I'm getting blown almost to Kingdom come it was completely euphoric as you said! I also went to Cream that year... I didn't go again till 2007 to Cocoon and it was so full it was impossible to even walk anywhere let alone dance in the main room so I missed most of Sven Vath playing. It was pretty scarey but I really want to go to Cocoon again at some point and have considered getting vip incase of emergency lol.. It seems from your review that it was worth it

Hauskitten, just remember to print out two copies of your VIP ticket, as they will take your ticket from you at the entrance to VIP. It's extra insurance in case they try to pull the same crap with you as they pulled with me, even though I was on the guest list.

I hope you're able to make it back there sometime soon!

Thats if I can afford it lol the way I'm planning my week I'm gonna need about 10k lmao how much was vip anyway is it diff prices for diff nights?

I got a VIP balcony pass in 2007 and they should give you a stamp when you show them your ticket at the entrance. It really was worth the money as there is plenty of places to sit down up there and when it gets to busy in the main room you can always pop up there for some space to move.

Amnesia for me is the best club on the island but cream often gets sooooo busy that even getting to the bar or toilet is a right pain in the ass even though its only a few metres walk.

Remember to ask for your VIP stamp at the door as it often overlooked by the person checking tickets.

Great review!! Cream is still one of my favo nights and Amnesia is still my favo club in the world, tying with Space. I've always had the luxury of being guestlisted for Cream, but never had the chance to go up to the VIP balcony. Next year I might take advantage of this. Btw, you couldn't have chosen a better night with my boy FERRY CORSTEN headlining :D :D :D

Nice review.

What were the DJ set times? How were they?

In the Main Room:
Sied van Riel played from 12:30-2, Gareth Wyn from 2-3:30, Ferry Corsten from 3:30-5:30, and Sander van Doorn from 5:30 to 7 AM

In the Terrace:
Gavyn Mitchell from 11-12, Anthony Probyn 12-1:30, Sebastien Leger 1:30-3, Eric Prydz 3-5:30, and Yousef from 5:30-7 AM

I spent virtually the entire night in the main room..Every DJ in there was great, especially Ferry Corsten! I only checked out the Terrace a few times briefly when Eric Prydz was playing and he had the crowd going strong!

Back