Restaurant - Can Balafia

snardy

Does anyone have any more information on this restaurant? Prices? Driving directions? Reviews

Here is a review from a person I know. It sounds lovely...

From Pacha hotel, we traveled the road to San Joan (pronounced Juan) and to dinner at Can Balafia.

This place is one of my favorite restaurants on the island. Its menu is very simple: barbequed meats. All the animals are raised out back on the restaurants farm. In fact, all the food comes from the owner's family’s farm.

We ordered entrecote (steak), pollo (chicken), cordero (lamb), papas fritas (thin french fries), and ensalada de tomates (tomato salad). Top it all off with a nice bottle of 1997 Rioja and some pan y aioli (bread and garlic sauce), and that's a meal fit for a king . . . or me at least.

The tomato salad is really my favorite. I never really liked raw tomatoes until I came to this place. All it contains is tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and some oil and vinaigrette . . . but the tomatoes are so fresh and juicy . . . the taste is absolutely solitary. I've never experienced a salad like this anywhere in my travels.

All the meat is thrown on the brick oven type grill and salt is added. No fancy sauces. No nonsense. It retains the flavor of the meat, and is so fresh.

After gorging on animal flesh for about 30 minutes, we ordered a doble espresso with some sambuca, some flan, and were on our way.

i know it. go past bambudha grove ( the best piece of advice i can give anyone) on the san juan road and very soon you arrive at a veritable cornucopia of honest to goodness restaurants which serve fantastic local food at local prices all clustered around the balafi santa eulalia turn off at km14
there balafia on the left (the track at the side leads to balafi and san lorenzo) opposite is juanito's and cana pepeta, and back down the road near the atzaro turn off is the es pins. you won't go wrong in any one of them.

click this
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=24404

Last edited by a moderator:
i love km5. i drive right past it every day on the way home!

you might want to put can caus on your list. it's just before santa gertrudis as you drive from ibiza. they have an enormous charcoal grill and grow their own goats on the farm behind. they also make their own yoghourt, kefir and honey! there's a big festival there every october.

snardy said:
if the locals approve of Can Balafia, then it must be good
yep, this is one of those places that without doing any kind of publicity is always full.....

2146ql3.jpg

stephen said:
and now it's been featured in pacha magazine it's a must see!
Balafi or the restaurant? I remember you recommended balafi to me last year when I asked about it stephen, .. and i didn't have the chance to make it... you think its over rated now?

sorry, it's the restaurant that was in pacha magazine. i don't reckon that the fame will have gone to their heads.

not at all. we went there the other night and i mentioned the pacha mag article to the super-friendly lady and she started laughing. they dont need any publicity to be fully booked every night.....

stephen said:
i love km5. i drive right past it every day on the way home!

you might want to put can caus on your list. it's just before santa gertrudis as you drive from ibiza. they have an enormous charcoal grill and grow their own goats on the farm behind. they also make their own yoghourt, kefir and honey! there's a big festival there every october.

i stayed in a villa in san miguel in may and drove past can caus every night and the car park was always full and that was may never got to eat there but it's on the list for a must do in august...
we're staying near km17 on the san juan road in august so the balafia sounds like a must do as well:D :D

What time is good to go to Balafia for dinner on a Saturday night? 21:00?

2100 in spain sounds like tea time ;)

pics from juanito look very nice.
and the description of Balafia.... maybe worth a try this time - or is it overrun now with the Pacha crowd?

What time is good to go to Balafia for dinner on a Saturday night? 21:00?
they open at 8pm... any time after that is good!! :p

btw, have you done a reservation already? some weeks ago i called on a thursday trying to get a table for friday:

· erm, lets see..... we have something available for friday of NEXT week
· :eek:
· hello?
· :eek:

:lol:

Always been my favourite - will be there for my wifes birthday next Tuesday night

IMAG0000.JPG

Hopefully Angel will let rip with a special Happy Birthday for her.

Back