Recommended beach reading...

I don't know what kinds of books you read, but currently I am reading the second series of A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. They are fantasy books based on English folklore. I know it sounds a bit dorky, but the way this man writes, you don't want to put the book down.

bripmon said:
I don't know what kinds of books you read, but currently I am reading the second series of A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. They are fantasy books based on English folklore. I know it sounds a bit dorky, but the way this man writes, you don't want to put the book down.

DORK!

Just kidding! ;) [/b]

matt collins said:
Currently reading this....

FC0871138956.JPG

Genuinely funny...

matt, is that the fella from The Times?
i read a taster of it in the paper, it was the bit where he went to the camping shop in LA and tried to buy chemical warfare kid. really really funny stuff. i had forgotten his name and wanted to buy the book so now i will be able to. ;)

Buckley said:
Scoobie said:
I just finished reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell which was excellent. Its 6 stories of about 90 pages each or diffent styles- one is historical, one science fiction, but they are all linked.

Just remember I have a bag of books a la Scoobie at home! Mind if they travel?

Not at all! I think half of them have already been to Ibiza once :lol:

Tycoon said:
Sylvia,
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" is my favourite book of all time!

Oh tycoon, you made my day cos I insist in suggest it on here and it's first time that someone say that has read it.

Isn't the Buendia Family story the most amazing tale ever wrote? :D :D
Have you read any other Marquez book? I love all the southamericans but Marquez is by far my fav one

You asked for it, Sylvia, so here are the Garcia Marquez books I've read in addition to 100 Years (pero no conozco los titulos en castellano):
-No One Writes to the Colonel
-General and his Labyrinth
-In Evil Hour
-Autumn of the Patriarch
-Love in the Time of Cholera
-Chronicle of a Death Foretold
-Erendira and other Stories.

As far as Latin American authors go, I have read alot of them: Borges, Cortazar, Puig, Quiroga, Donoso, Vargas Llosa, Aguilera-Malta, Asturias, Paz, Rulfo, Fuentes, Amado, Machado de Assis, Angelo, Loyola de Brandao, Lispector, de Andrade, Carpentier, Arenas - just to name a few! :D

If you haven't, please read a great author from my country (USA): William Faulkner, particularly "The Sound and the Fury". Faulkner had a tremendous influence on Latin American writers.

Tycoon said:
You asked for it, Sylvia, so here are the Garcia Marquez books I've read in addition to 100 Years (pero no conozco los titulos en castellano):
-No One Writes to the Colonel
-General and his Labyrinth
-In Evil Hour
-Autumn of the Patriarch
-Love in the Time of Cholera
-Chronicle of a Death Foretold
-Erendira and other Stories.

As far as Latin American authors go, I have read alot of them: Borges, Cortazar, Puig, Quiroga, Donoso, Vargas Llosa, Aguilera-Malta, Asturias, Paz, Rulfo, Fuentes, Amado, Machado de Assis, Angelo, Loyola de Brandao, Lispector, de Andrade, Carpentier, Arenas - just to name a few! :D

If you haven't, please read a great author from my country (USA): William Faulkner, particularly "The Sound and the Fury". Faulkner had a tremendous influence on Latin American writers.

Oh! :D :D
Finally someone to talk about latin literature on here :D :D
Chronicle of a death foretold is one of the best wroten books ever. You know the end from line one but you still can't stop reading and feeling anxious.
Love in the time of cholera changed my life :D

I love Cortazar and his tales of famas and cronopios (I'm not sure on transaltion on here), have you read Oliverio Girondo?
And a great Peruan writer: Alfredo Bryce Echenique, his "exagerated life of Martin romaña" and "a world for julius" (translation again :?: ) are simply master pieces. I think the poor guy is in urgent need of a psicoanalist cos all his other books talk about the same but those ones are great.

Will definitly look for Faulkner one

I have read Famas and Cronopios. I like the story of the pet tiger. I am not at all familiar with the other writers you mention. Problem is alot of Latin American literature remains to be translated into English.

Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
...not gonna be doing much clubbing in Ibiza next week, really just want to relax.

Good one!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Genuinely!

Not even going to Space on Sunday.....

Stop it! Stop it!

You're killing me now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just popped in to say that we´ve not been near a club yet......although we have sorted list for Manumission Cocoon tonight after a good 'ol session down DC10

Told you i didn't believe a word of it ;)

Glad you're having a good time, say hi to Anna from us.

Drew said:
Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
...not gonna be doing much clubbing in Ibiza next week, really just want to relax.

Good one!

Genuinely!

Stop it! Stop it!

Just popped in to say that we´ve not been near a club yet......although we have sorted list for Manumission Cocoon tonight after a good 'ol session down DC10

Will do mate. I did say not nuch clubbing....

Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:
Drew said:
Buckley said:

Good one!

Genuinely!

Stop it! Stop it!

Will do mate. I did say not nuch clubbing....

Have you had lunch/dinner on the beach at Es Torrent ? I love that place... :D :D

Back