Really well written article on the West End...

10989140_10153139094544432_4375436469528694776_n.jpg

Funny he should mention A-list stars like Lulu and The Gibb brothers...

Here is a picture, taken in Joe Spoons in the early 70's of my Granda (bending over), Lulu (sitting with long necklace on) and father to the Bee Gees (on the right)...

The stories i've heard from my Granda of Ibiza at this time are very special!!!!! I can't even imagine what his reaction would be if he was to walk through the West End now... Like the post above said... It was a VERY different time!

Just one thing though, i'm not sure whether my Granda is getting confused, or whether there was also somewhere else but he thought Joe Spoons was in San Rafael?!?! Is anyone on here able to confirm this!??! He might be getting it wrong though... Or i might have misunderstood what he said...

For me the west end this summer has been much the same as last summer, not great but that seems to be a general thing to San Antonio (as opposed to only the west end).

Where I work we had a decent June and July, poor August and September so far has been good.

5am closing definitely hasn't helped this season or 2014, effectively loses us a night per week and I don't think people go home, they just end up on the beach - surely it would be better having them in a controlled venue until they're ready to go home, which they usually are by 6?

Prostitution and robbery is still a huge and obvious problem which could easily be sorted out by a police presence which is sadly lacking most nights when it's needed at emptying out time.

For me the way forward in west end venues is a little bit of investment and forward thinking; offering good quality and good value is paramount in my opinion as that's what attracts people to the west end, those that do will continue to be successful I'm sure, those that don't I'm not so sure but I'm no expert and I'm sure others will have different opinions.

From the past couple of years it's hard to see how the west end can continue to have so many venues with a similar offering survive on the numbers visiting the area; generally weekends are ok but during the week not so great.

So much competition now with the bigger venues, for example today (Tuesday) we had:

Carl Cox closing at Space

Tinie Tempah closing at Hard Rock (been rammed all summer)

Hardwell closing at Ushuaia

Together and Defected at Amnesia

Pukka Up boats

Ocean Beach which is always popular during the day

Anyway just my 50 cents and if any readers are about the next few weeks feel free to drop in say hi, ask for Paul and we'll have some hierbas :)

For me the west end this summer has been much the same as last summer, not great but that seems to be a general thing to San Antonio (as opposed to only the west end).

Where I work we had a decent June and July, poor August and September so far has been good.

5am closing definitely hasn't helped this season or 2014, effectively loses us a night per week and I don't think people go home, they just end up on the beach - surely it would be better having them in a controlled venue until they're ready to go home, which they usually are by 6?

Prostitution and robbery is still a huge and obvious problem which could easily be sorted out by a police presence which is sadly lacking most nights when it's needed at emptying out time.

For me the way forward in west end venues is a little bit of investment and forward thinking; offering good quality and good value is paramount in my opinion as that's what attracts people to the west end, those that do will continue to be successful I'm sure, those that don't I'm not so sure but I'm no expert and I'm sure others will have different opinions.

From the past couple of years it's hard to see how the west end can continue to have so many venues with a similar offering survive on the numbers visiting the area; generally weekends are ok but during the week not so great.

So much competition now with the bigger venues, for example today (Tuesday) we had:

Carl Cox closing at Space

Tinie Tempah closing at Hard Rock (been rammed all summer)

Hardwell closing at Ushuaia

Together and Defected at Amnesia

Pukka Up boats

Ocean Beach which is always popular during the day

Anyway just my 50 cents and if any readers are about the next few weeks feel free to drop in say hi, ask for Paul and we'll have some hierbas :)

Good post, thanks.

Reading back through some previous comments on this post - I wouldn't agree the west end only attracts 'scum' etc; it actually attracts a lot of really good people who just want to have a good time and party. Yes of course I'm amongst that you'll always have the odd idiot but to say it's just full of scum simply isn't true. We were all young once and (as it was mine) I'm sure the west end and many of its venues have been a brilliant introduction to ibiza for many who have continued to visit and gone on to prefer other things such as space, dc10, whatever else - but it does still have its place IMO, not everyone can afford or wants to pay super club prices on their holidays to have a good time

Exactly this. Same stupid argument we have to contend with on our own ridiculous island when the authorities cite increased opening hours as a reason for x, y or z.

Even though the guy openly acknowledges it as a central theme of his article, I still don't like the way Vice/THUMP articles like that have a "holier-than-thou" flavour about them, like a night out in Shoreditch is any better than a night out on the West End.

Even though the guy openly acknowledges it as a central theme of his article, I still don't like the way Vice/THUMP articles like that have a "holier-than-thou" flavour about them, like a night out in Shoreditch is any better than a night out on the West End.

Whilst i definitely enjoy reading some of their articles, a lot of the time i'm thinking exactly this. Mainly get the impression they're a bunch of posho berkerley hunts tbh.

A night in Shoreditch is virtually identical to a night out in the West End these days - all the original music heads from 10-15 years back have pretty much jumped ship. The area's screwed and crawling with twerps from romford or City boys at the weekend.

Vice is alright by me. Rate Ransom Note too. Those guys know the score.

A night in Shoreditch is virtually identical to a night out in the West End these days - all the original music heads from 10-15 years back have pretty much jumped ship. The area's screwed and crawling with twerps from romford or City boys at the weekend.

Vice is alright by me. Rate Ransom Note too. Those guys know the score.
yep shoreditch is not a fun place to go out these days , its long seen its hey day

Mmmm, don't think I necessarily agree with what has been posted above.

Anyway, another good read on the Martin Makepeace blog today which is very relevant to this post. I would advise anyone with an interest in Ibiza or in particular San Antonio to subscribe to his Twitter as always interesting posts.

It is written by a guest blogger called Peter Hankinson.

WEST END WEEK – DAY 2

West End legends aren’t made overnight but after 30 years on San Antonio’s most famous street there’s nobody better to give us a unique insight into it’s history.

Peter: Having read many people’s informed opinions of the West End in San Antonio, as an original founder member I would like to take the opportunity to speak a little of its history. I opened my first bar in the West End in 1971 and continued working at various establishments off and on until 2005 so I have a unique perspective of this area of business.

In the early 70’s San Antonio was the centre of all tourism in Ibiza and was made up of various nationalities, ages and people of all backgrounds who had discovered the laid back charm of the island and came from all over the island to enjoy its unique atmosphere.

In 1973 a group of 12 businesses decided to form a society to benefit the area. One of the reasons for this was that beach party sellers would bother and harass the clients at the bars and restaurants. At a meeting it was agreed to call the area the West End, after the West End in London due to its image (although some wanted to call it the East End!).

The businesses, among others, were Celler el Refugio (now Temptation) – regarded by many as the best restaurant on the island), Nitos (now VK Club), Chac Mool (now 80s/90s/00s), The Music Bar (now Joe Spoon’s), Kings Bar (now Stereo), Babalu, Hanoi Bar (now The Huddle), La Reja (now Kilties) and Cortijo Tristan (now Revolutions) among others, all of which have now changed their names and in some cases their usage. Each business had an illuminated sign and the society employed its own PRs to push the area and for a few weeks in the summer even ran its own beach parties, unlike today the bars generally worked together.

The atmosphere in the newly named West End was very cosmopolitan and most of the youngsters were Scandinavian, German, Dutch and British with a smattering of genuine A-list stars such as the Gibb brothers, Robert Plant and Lulu, wandering around amongst them. Most bars were busy, the average taking in my small Hanoi bar was about 30,000 pesetas (about 5000 euros in today’s money) on a good night. The main difference between then and now was the mentality of the clients with hard drugs (such as amphetamines and cocaine) being almost non-existent. The policing of the area was by the national police who came over from other areas of Spain for a couple of months, they were high profile but had a good attitude and were respected by the public and bar owners. If you called them, they came.

Due to the success of the area all the different shops and houses in the area gradually became bars so the West End expanded outwards even though when I built the original Capone’s in 1974 it was regarded as being ‘too far out’, how things change!

During the 70s and 80s the West End continued to do good business but the clientele gradually changed from an international crowd to a mainly British market with tour operators becoming very popular and bar crawls gaining so much importance that having the best bar didn’t really matter but having a good relationship with the tour operators was imperative. As the West End grew it started to gain notoriety in the British press towards the end of the 80s when societies problems were reflected on the streets although this image wasn’t representative of the place that I knew. The 90s saw a massive rise in the drug culture and with it the atmosphere began to change in Europe’s ‘premier youth resort’.

Times change and the West End of today is a completely different place and it is facing big challenges over the next few years against increasing competition on the island but my memories are mostly fond as I loved my time there and still love San Antonio. I wish everyone all the best for the future as this area has been good to me and continues to be very important to our town.

peterhankinsonibz@hotmail.com

Amazing that capones was there from the mid 70's! I was so gutted when I went back last year and seen it had changed after all these years. I spoke to a PR I'm familiar with and he said the guy that owned it had to sell cause he developed Cancer.

Does anyone have any pictures of the west end from back in the day? Bit disappointed I didn't see anything about Tropi in the original article. I love the place and want to know it's history.

Does anyone have any pictures of the west end from back in the day? Bit disappointed I didn't see anything about Tropi in the original article. I love the place and want to know it's history.
i found something even better: julio iglesias at the old club sa tanca!!!

Año 1975 DIRECTOR DE LA SALA GERARDO GAS GARRIGA JUNTO A JULIO IGLESIAS

19390690_1229593113852522_5110044141053495862_o.jpg

[sa tanca was located where now there's the lidl]

Went to San Antonio last night, wanted to get there early for a wander. We walked through the west end at about 6pm, and I must say it really isn't for me. Looked dirty, a bit tacky also. Not many people around, granted, but I can only imagine it'll be a lot worse when the volume ramps up. That's not to say it doesn't or shouldn't suit some people, I'm very non judgemental. It just isn't for me.

The sunset strip and the bay area were ok tho, plenty of bars and eateries. No doubt we'll return to Ibiza soon, and we will consider SA instead of Bossa

Back