Really dumb Ipod question - downloading songs

Beckiboo

I know this is probably like 5 years behind everyone else who is doing fancy hi-tech things with their Ipods. But I'm still trying to put tunes on my Nano (got about an hour's worth now :lol:).

Are there any free downloading websites I can find normal, mainstream albums on? At the moment I'm currently using Itunes but obviously you have to pay for everything you download, and it would be nice to try and avoid that if possible 8)

I know Limewire used to be free, but I tried downloading that and it came up with some weird "accept your trial offer" thing which cost money! :confused:

Any advice appreciated.... in easy to understand terms please! :lol:

Avoid Limewire like the Plague. Will crash your computer with corrupted files and other bad programmes.

I know this is probably like 5 years behind everyone else who is doing fancy hi-tech things with their Ipods. But I'm still trying to put tunes on my Nano (got about an hour's worth now :lol:).

Are there any free downloading websites I can find normal, mainstream albums on? At the moment I'm currently using Itunes but obviously you have to pay for everything you download, and it would be nice to try and avoid that if possible 8)

I know Limewire used to be free, but I tried downloading that and it came up with some weird "accept your trial offer" thing which cost money! :confused:

goto a library or a friends, borrow the cd and rip yr own mp3s! ;)

Where's Stu Hirst!?!

(ps... I use the program uTorrent and the torrent website Mininova.org)

soulseek for individual songs
use iso torrent to search for albums
Azureus Vuze for torrent for downloading

are you specifically looking for albums are just selected tracks, because I find it is sometimes easier to google individual tunes and either build my own compilations from there OR follow links to related album download sites. Unfortunately, I had to wipe all my bookmarked sites a while ago so can't give specifics but I usually google artist + track + mediafire/zippyshare/megaupload etc - there is a massive element of luck though in what comes up when you search randomly, but because 95% of my music comes off blogs with 1 month leave-up times, I am usually able to find the upfront stuff, which leaks out, easily enough. Well known music should be a lot easier to find, for obv reasons

*make sure anti-virus is well up to date as there are enough dodgy files doing the rounds.

Is Soulseek still any good? Seemed like it was getting painfully slow and poor a while back.

You know you can download individual songs from torrents, even if it's listed as a whole album?

uTorrent is miles better than Azereus, by the way.

I use WinMx very good free, file sharing site.

Programing is safe and reliable.

Is Soulseek still any good? Seemed like it was getting painfully slow and poor a while back.

You know you can download individual songs from torrents, even if it's listed as a whole album?

uTorrent is miles better than Azereus, by the way.

soulseek has a new sever (and therefore a new download to run it)
much faster

i have gotten individual songs from torrents but just find it quicker to use SS

the use of Vuze is purely down to sheer laziness ;)

Go on itunes.. go onto podcasts.. tap in say for example 'minimal techno' (if thats what you like) then it will give you lots of free podcasts .. my 8 gb ipod is full with free mixes. Type in Tronik show there are loads of mixes there mostly electro and some pretty commercial stuff you might like if you like more mainstream, the 20:20 vision podcasts are my fav Ralph Lawson and Nic Fanciulli. have a play about on podcasts and do some searches you should find what your looking for ! :)

It all depends on what you wanna download really. For single MP3's you want something that uses the limewire network but isn't limewire because the program is terrible.

I use Cabos but I am on a macbook, however they do a version for windows but i have never tried it. Its a wicked app on mac so don't see any problems with it on pc... http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Cabos-for-Windows/1101753564/1

For albums and live sets i use torrents, if you search for a how-to there is thousands of them on the internet so learning how to set it up shouldnt be a problem. I found uTorrent to be the most straight forward torrent client.

themixingbowl.org is also a wicked site for live sets.

Back