Re The Footy Last night...did I miss something....

Clara said:
The situation witnessed in Spain last night was the same as in England in the 1970s and early 80s. Thankfully a lot has been done to stamp racism out in football and I can honestly say I've never heard any racist chants at any matches I've been to.

Is there such a initiative to stamp out racism in the Spanish game, Sil? Perhaps this is the problem in that they've don't done enough to condemn it in Spain so people think it's acceptable.

I appreciate that not all fans are like this in Spain, but it was very sad indeed.

Oh and please don't group English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish fans together!

yep, the only thing us Scots can be happily stereotyped for, is being a bit tight with the cash !!!!
:D

Stu Hirst said:
Clara said:
The situation witnessed in Spain last night was the same as in England in the 1970s and early 80s. Thankfully a lot has been done to stamp racism out in football and I can honestly say I've never heard any racist chants at any matches I've been to.

Is there such a initiative to stamp out racism in the Spanish game, Sil? Perhaps this is the problem in that they've don't done enough to condemn it in Spain so people think it's acceptable.

I appreciate that not all fans are like this in Spain, but it was very sad indeed.

yep, the only thing us Scots can be happily stereotyped for, is being a bit tight with the cash !!!!
:D

and liking a drink.....

silvia said:
Fair point Stu,

Sylvia,

inevitably in situations like this, it's always the innocent parties that suffer. One example - I can't see this helping the Spanish Olympic bid.

Hopefully the Spanish FA will be seen to put measures in to stop nights like last night mar sport. In the UK people are given life bans for any kind of Racist taunts, I remember seeing at Park head a man dragged out by his collar for abusing Regi Blinker. Perhaps Spain needs to get this tough.

Clara said:

Thanks Clara, that reference to English footbal in the 70 - 80 was what I was trying to say.

Yes, clubs get huge fines for supporters misbehaviour, including racism or any radical action like Figo's pig head.

And sorry for mixing all of you in the same bag, I was a bit heated :rolleyes: :oops: ;) I have to agree with Craig, when Rangers played last year here it was a pleasure to see their supporters on the streets, just singing and having fun.

silvia said:
I have to agree with Craig, when Rangers played last year here it was a pleasure to see their supporters on the streets, just singing and having fun.

:eek: :eek:

Nah, Rangers fans are a different breed all together :lol: :lol: ;)

I was embarrased to hear that yesterday. I was cringing so much, I wanted to turn the volume down. It was disgraceful. :(

I agree with everything that Silvia has said about the relatively recent influx of emmigrants. We are clearly a few years behind England when it come to this situation.

However, I can't believe some of the comments some of the press is making. Pleading for UEFA to ban them from Europe, etc..
The phrase "He who is free of sin may cast the first stone" comes to mind. Was it a few weeks ago the Millwall fans and Liverpool fans were involved in violent clashes? And Chelsea and West Ham??

Every country has one problem or other due to a minority of idiots. Thankfully this was the FIRST time it's happened, and hopefully the last.

But more importantly, HOW GOOD IS XAVI?????? ;)

I think the vast majority of Spanish people would have been rightly appalled by the behaviour of a small minority of racists thugs. What's more worrying, however, is the fact that the Spanish FA have not yet condemned the fans' behaviour coupled with the lack of contrition from the Spanish coach over his racist remarks.

Ironically, apparently the Sun claims that Shaun-Wright Philips may be joining Madrid in January -- this looks very unlikely after last night which would be a shame for both him and the Madrid fans.

SuperD said:
Ironically, apparently the Sun claims that Shaun-Wright Philips may be joining Madrid in January -- this looks very unlikely after last night which would be a shame for both him and the Madrid fans.

Shaun Wright Philips was said he might be joining Ath Madrid. They've had countless black players like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, and Emerson (Ex- Middlesbrough) with out any problem what-so-ever.

Real Madrid have had Makele, Karembeau, Seedorf and again, without any problems. They play Roberto Calros every week too.

I hope this incident as awful as it is, wont deter any fututre signings.

Ferd said:
But more importantly, HOW GOOD IS XAVI?????? ;)

Was he good? I heard he was the best in the match!

Can't wait to see him and Puyol on saturday!

By the way, Ronaldinho was asked about Puyol lession and he literally said: Puyol is an animal :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously it's not all the Spanish people, or even the Spanish 'fans' that were acting so disgracefully.

But...

Any society where this kind of behaviour is anything other than condemned to the highest degree by all those around, must have problems IMO. It's hard to see how it got so widespread.

The situation isn't helped by the absense of a formal apology or anything by the Spanish authorities, nor by the actions of the Spanish coach.

You would NEVER get that kind of mass racism in an England stands. The very second something like that is said these days, the guy will be hounded out by all those around him, and probably ejected from the stands. The FA (one of the only things they've got right) have really pleasantly surprised me with the removal of this since the emabarrasing scenes in the 80's.

I just kept shaking my head in disbelief muttering 'in this day and age'.

Truly shocking.

And in response to the 'yes but your fans are no angels etc' comments, I couldn't agree with you more. I will instantly disown my fellow countrymen for the fighting. But not excuse it (Silv - your comment came across as a Fact AND and excuse, sorry).

And Mods, don't throw your toys out over someone having something to say about your country. Right or wrong, everyone has there views, prove them wrong if necessary, don't lock the thread ;)

Not to sound ignorant. But who was Franco? A leader/dictator of Spain? What did he do exactly?

Back