Question for anyone into DJing?

K

K-eat

I'm getting myself a set of the new Technics MK5 and a new mixer at the weekend. Can't wait :D :D .

Anyway, I need some advice - recommendations on a mixer. There are soooo many, I can't decide which one to go for. I will probably have about 400Euro to spend on it. I know it's not alot but I'm just back from ibiza and funds are a bit tight. I have asked on a few other sites and I'm sick of hearing that you get what you pay for etc etc, there has to be a decent mixer around in this price range. I play funky house and will probably go for a two channel mixer.

Anyway, any comments would be much appreciated.

Stay away from Gemini, I have one myself and the cross fader is fu(ked after just over a year. Ive heard from a few other guys that something always goes in these mixers.

I have a Numark mixer (my second one)

I have tried the Technics competition mixers (World Mixing championship) and I reckon the Numark kicks ass!

That said, I did use a vestax one a few months ago and it felt superb. Really precise smooth slides.

Either of those I would happily recommend. :)

I'd have a flick through some magazines like i-dj/dj mag and check out their reviews for new mixers. Look at http://www.i-dj.co.uk as they have some mixer reviews in the 'gear' section of the website

Also, I dunno if you could get one for that price, but maybe go for a second hand pioneer djm500/600... Although pricey, these mixers are fantastic :D

One more thing... Go to a dj shop and try out a few mixers, see what you feel comfortable with and what features you want.

Good Luck!!!

Nice one biff ;)

Pioneer dj 500 or Allen & Heath xone 62.

Try looking on ebay/classified ads/clubbing forums for second hand ones.............

rane mixers rock.

i have the empath, bit out of your price range but if you could save your pennies it's well worth the money. fantastic sound, build quality, ultra smooth p&g faders - it really is a great mixer.

if i were you i'd get a bit of extra money for the mixer by going with MK2's instead of MK5's - i don't see much point in getting the MK5's cos most clubs where you want to play will have MK2's.

for that price pal look for the pioneer djm 300 and if you can get your hands on another 200 sheets buy the djm600

well i'd have stayed with mk2's instead of mk5's but i suppose its your choice!!! not sure the mk5's are anything much different ya see.

as for mixers........... 400 euro's is about £250????

Numark DMX-03 £195

Numark Matrix-3 £225

check outt www.decks.co.uk

You should be able to get a decent numark or vestax mixer in that price range.
A nice mixer which is about 400 euro is the vestax Pmc-05 pro it is a 2 channel mixer with 2 band eq and is a sturdy thing.
Also Numark do a good one with 12 different fx called the dxm06 2 channel 3 band eq and kills 24 bit digital mixer its about 350 euro.
not sure who sturdy it is though it looks a bit fiddly.
You should get down to a shop and take a look for yourself and have a feel of one.

for that price range you can forget the Rane/Allen & heath/Pioneer mixers... If you're just starting you don't need them anyway.

My choice would be the vestax pcv-275. $419.00 U.S. so that fits your range. The thing is built like a tank and can take a beating. Plus it sounds real good.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have made my mind up.

I have taught strongly bout the vestec 275 but it's 600euro and that is a bit out of my range.

I'm gonna go for the Behringer VMX-300. I have heard alot of good things about this mixer and at 300euro apparently it's a bargain.

I won't say any mixer, I just will say that you should care more for the decks, they are more important. Remember not to buy belt driven turntables. I preffer a shitty mixer and good decks than good mixer and bad decks.

K-eat said:

I have taught strongly bout the vestec 275 but it's 600euro and that is a bit out of my range.

I'm gonna go for the Behringer VMX-300. I have heard alot of good things about this mixer and at 300euro apparently it's a bargain.

That's a rip-off for the Vestax. There is no way it should cost that much. @ www.HTFR.com it's only 339.

Kaiser said:
I won't say any mixer, I just will say that you should care more for the decks, they are more important. Remember not to buy belt driven turntables. I preffer a shitty mixer and good decks than good mixer and bad decks.

there is only one choice for decks - technics sl1200/1210 - preferably mk2's cos these are everywhere in the clubs.

after that your choice of mixer is also very important, and depends a lot on your choice of music/mixing style.

if you want to do any serious scratching then the mixer needs to be chosen very carefully.

K-eat said:

I use the Behringer VMX-200, 9 hours per week for over a year with not one single fault, it's an excellent mixer for the price (around £90), built like a tank. Ignore the beatmix counters, the surround sound and the talkover, they're unnecessary crap.

I also have the Behringer DX1000, unfortunately, lots of features but showing faults after 2 years intermittent use.

Later
DJ Soulman 8)

Don't go cheap on a mixer as you'll want the next level right away. I would go straight for a Rane (I've got the Rane rotary MP2016) or the Pioneer DJM500 or DJM600. These are the mixers that are out in clubs and it makes sense to practice on units that you will play in clubs (assuming that is the goal). I know that they use the Pioneer @ DC-10 and the Rane 2016 is everywhere. You really need to decide if you want a rotary or not. I love the rotary because to me, turning knobs is a much more natural motion when mixing. The sound that comes out of is is so warm and rounded. It has full kill on lows, mids and highs.

just my $0.02.

K

Kristoff K said:
Don't go cheap on a mixer as you'll want the next level right away. I would go straight for a Rane (I've got the Rane rotary MP2016)
K

aaahhhh, you have the 2016! coooool mixer, how are you finding it?

do you have the extra box with crossfader etc?

obviously the mixer is goin to depend greatly on ur style of mixin...i use a Ecler Hak 320 which is perfect for scratchin and battle mixin....the EQ ranges r good too which is especially useful in house (u cant survive without a mid range EQ!) that said its quite expensive for a first mixer (around 450-500 benjamins) but quality does pay in the long run!
Good luck findin the package for u (oh and don't bother with MK 5s, they're no better than MK2s just cost more)

Back