Programming a line up

framch30

Who's had you dancing to the bitter end, not wanting to leave the dance floor / club / field etc, who's blown you away with their set / music? If you had the chance to put together your own line up for an event, what would be your dream / ideal line up? The event in question being a smaller local festival, no EDM, drum n bass or garage and your suggestions being dj's / acts you have actually heard in a club or festival environment rather than dj's that you 'want' to hear but haven't had the chance yet.

Should have also said, two stages over two days :).

Haha. I think I asked this question some years ago now... :lol:

Extended sets all the way. None of this DJ playing for an hour bollocks.

this.

and no stupid b2b's of people that never have played together.

Not into the whole b2b thing myself nor the cram as many dj's into as short a timeframe as possible. @Don Simon nothing against those genres it's just that those genres don't fit in with the events musical direction or any of the previous events musical direction / programming. Personally i don't mind a bit of drum n bass, attended quite a few events when I lived in British Colombia, saw B-Traits numerous times before she was a name over here, many a good night :)

You don't have to give a full 2 days line up, couple of names would suffice.

People I've heard over the past year at home or at events overseas that I've enjoyed immensely were Joris Voorn, Technasia, Ame, Tiefschwarz, Anja Schneider, Martinez bros, Hot Since 82, Erol Alkan, Waze & Odyssey, Adam Beyer & Ida Engberg, Dixon, Guy gerber, Seth Troxler, Andrea Oliva, Ellen Allien, Chaim.

well there are a few obvious ideas of course, names like dixon, ame, maceo plex etc...but these are all big money.

one guy I think is still a bit underrated is dj tennis.

well there are a few obvious ideas of course, names like dixon, ame, maceo plex etc...but these are all big money.

I think we have discussed this before. But just what kind of fees are the likes of Dixon, Ame, Maceo Plex etc commanding in Ibiza these days?

Cheers Stivi. Haven't heard Tennis play in a club, just a couple of his recorded sets which I did like.

The event I'm talking about isn't a pie in the sky bored on a Monday thing, it is in the planning and due to take place next year. Knowing I'm fond of an Ibiza jaunt and partial to a rave up here n there outwith Ibiza, I was asked the question I'm asking you guys.

Last event had James Zabiela, A guy called gerald, Graeme Park, Foals dj set, Marshall Jefferson, Joey Beltram, Jeremy Olander, Friendly Fires dj set, Slam, Horse Meat disco, Dave Seaman, Danny Rampling, Farley Jackmaster funk, Bontan, Jon Pleased Wimmin, Steve Bicknell, Kelvin Andrews, James Bradley, Fini Tribe dj set.

The previous event to that had, Hot Chip dj set, Leftfield dj set, Derrick Carter, Dave Seaman, Steve Bicknell, Mauro Picotto, Jon Pleased Wimmin, Jeremy Healy, Paul wain, James Bradley, DJ Yoda, Krafty Kuts, Cuban brothers. As well as local dj's / promoters on the line up at both events.

You don't have to give a full 2 days line up, couple of names would suffice.

People I've heard over the past year at home or at events overseas that I've enjoyed immensely were Joris Voorn, Technasia, Ame, Tiefschwarz, Anja Schneider, Martinez bros, Hot Since 82, Erol Alkan, Waze & Odyssey, Adam Beyer & Ida Engberg, Dixon, Guy gerber, Seth Troxler, Andrea Oliva, Ellen Allien, Chaim.

So an event the size of Creamfields then for those kind of names? Not small local festival anymore. :lol:
Small local festival to me would be maybe 3 or 4 DJs with fees less than £600 each.

So an event the size of Creamfields then for those kind of names? Not small local festival anymore. :lol:
Small local festival to me would be maybe 3 or 4 DJs with fees less than £600 each.

Def won't be the size of creamfields :)

Like some have already mentioned, a few of the old skool dj"s jeremy healy , jon of the pleased wimmin, brandon block, tall paul and a local dj I deliver to, responsible for a big part of brums nightlife in the late 90's/00's Jim shift ryan with probably mk thrown in.

I think we have discussed this before. But just what kind of fees are the likes of Dixon, Ame, Maceo Plex etc commanding in Ibiza these days?

Don't really know specific fee's, have heard figures thrown about from local promoters for local gigs, would imagine Ibiza being a few more grand. I do know that the fee's vary depending on the size of the venue / capacity, ticket price etc with the fee being negotiated between promoters and agents, you probably had an idea of that already.

Stages and superstar djs can do one. I'm all about guerilla gigs, no advertising, strictly word of mouth, and receiving a call with instructions at a specified time at a pre-designated phonebox, at a Little Chef somewhere in the arse end of Hampshire. 500 people max. A camouflaged rig under netting and not visible from the main road. Eventually you find it and you've never seen anything like it. There's a rasta walking around with a cheetah on a lead, a couple of very old men doing the running man dance and a japanese woman doing the splits. A few hundred people are rushin' hard around them totally oblivious. To your right a man who looks like Terry Nutkins is sat down drinking a magic punch, the ingredients of which are strictly classified. To your left, some guy on a massive walkie talkie is freaking out. "You got busted Nigel!? WHAT?" The soundsystem is off the scale, a swirling 303 which goes on and on and on, it's a BITD acid classic. you have no idea where it comes from or who's playing it or what it is (almost certainly Hardfloor) You see some kids on a haystack inhaling a balloon and confiscate it. You enter into the spirit yourself and get stuck in.....Thereafter you remember nothing until you come round on a tatty sofa a few yards away. Some French girl in micro pants is biting your ear off about how commercial everything is these days. The music's calmed down. A few stragglers are still there. The cheetah's escaped. The rasta is agitated. Weatherall's classic mix of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" is resonating around the place. You turn to 'Michelle' again but she's gone. And so are you on the Megabus home. Classic party though, man.

Back