Primal Scream + Hinds @ Ibiza Rocks Hotel, 29-08-17

McRackin

Super Moderator
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Primal Scream show took place at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel instead of Pikes as originally announced. For such an important event, apart from the usual afterparty hosted by Rock Nights, there was an invite-only afternoon party at Pikes for the band and friends soundtracked by Andy Carroll and The Brothers Grimm.

Hinds are the most international spanish band nowadays. There's very polarized opinions about their success since there's much better bands in this country but the truth is their lo-fi garage pop is endearing. Previous Ibiza Rocks headliners The Vaccines are often mentioned among their main influences.

The four-piece from Madrid played songs from their debut album Leave Me Alone (2016) like "Garden", "Warts", "Chili Town", "Bamboo" or "Castigadas En El Granero" and finished with "Davey Crockett" by Thee Headcoats. Their musicianship skills are far from stellar but the music is joyful and it's obvious they're having fun.

Carlotta, Ana, Ade and Amber have a lot to prove on their second album, to be released in the next months, and only time will tell if they're just a hype or here to stay.

P1360699+-+copia+edit.jpeg

Dj and producer Viktor Ollé (regular at Rock Nights, where he dj'd afterwards, and resident of Crappy Tuesdays at Apolo in Barcelona) stepped in the dj booth at the side of the stage to warm up for the scottish rockers. Not a difficult task with such an up-for-it crowd and some serious tunage in the bag.

P1360827+-+copia.JPG

Primal Scream debuted on the island in 2011 when they played at the closing of I Want My MTV at Amnesia's terrace as part of their Screamadelica Live Tour that celebrated the 20th anniversary of the release of their iconic Screamadelica album. Since then Simone Butler replaced Mani on bass (who left to re-join his original band The Stone Roses) and they decided to carry on as a quintet without Barrie Cadogan on the second guitar (who's busy with his own band Little Barrie).

For many people the return of the glaswegian band was the highlight of summer 2017 and I know people who booked their Ibiza holiday around it. They played a good selection of classics from their back catalogue including "Movin' On Up", "Jailbird", Swastika Eyes", "Loaded", "Rocks" or "Come Together" and recent hits like "Country Girl" but, surprisingly, none from their latest album Chaosmosis (2016). All eyes were on Bobby Gillespie, whose magnetic personality and hypnotic moves energized the crowd to the rhythm of his maracas.

One of the seminal moments of the year on the isle. By the way, Kate Moss and Paul Rutherford (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) were spotted in the VIP having a ball.

P1360861+-+copia+edit.jpeg

Tickets for the Ibiza Rocks closing next week with The Kooks are available here:

:arrow: https://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

PRIMAL SCREAM SETLIST:
Movin' On Up
Slip Inside This House [13th Floor Elevators cover]
Jailbird
Dolls (Sweet Rock And Roll)
Can't Go Back
It's Alright, It's OK
I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have
Swastika Eyes
Loaded
Country Girl