Pre-Budget Report

Good PBR, lots of positive things.

Lots of help for SMEs just at the right time.

I was hoping for a Corporation Tax holiday :lol: but i guess you can't get everything.

global recession is all the yanks fault according to Darling & Brown.
Ya, the Russians keep blaming it on us too (and they've been scaring the press into not reporting on the full extent of the problem here!)

That position, whether it comes from Downing St or the Kremlin, ignores the excesses in the global financial system.

And in the Russian case, it ignores the mistakes of big business which was expanding rapidly using short-term borrowed cash. Now that the liquidity in the system is gone, they can't refinance their loans (and their collateral, often shares, has devalued meaning the banks are making margin calls)

Ah, the interconnectedness of us all :lol:

Ah, the interconnectedness of us all :lol:

So when is the first Earth President due then?

I hear a guy called George W Bush will be on the lookout for a job soon.

:lol:

Just worked out IF i spend my usual monthly outgoings and IF the retailers pass on the VAT cut im gonna be a whole £15 better off!

'Appy days... :rolleyes:

Just worked out IF i spend my usual monthly outgoings and IF the retailers pass on the VAT cut im gonna be a whole £15 better off!

'Appy days... :rolleyes:

Agreed... what the fook? How on earth is Joe Bloggs on the street saving £2.50 in every £100 is going to "stimulate" spending, and miraculously save our economy? Its not going to be noticed in the slightest.

It will however cost the government £12.5bn (i think... don't quote me on that).

This government are so detatched from reality it doesn't bear thinking about. We need a change... I hear the BNP have got some interesting views!

Agreed... what the fook? How on earth is Joe Bloggs on the street saving £2.50 in every £100 is going to "stimulate" spending, and miraculously save our economy? Its not going to be noticed in the slightest.

As Vince Cable and George Osbourne have said since the annoucement, getting the sodding banks, the govt have bailed out to start lending again is the key!

Right I'm off for some lunchtime stimulus.

It will however cost the government £12.5bn (i think... don't quote me on that).

This government are so detatched from reality it doesn't bear thinking about. We need a change... I hear the BNP have got some interesting views!

The saving is actually going to be less than that.

As a consumer you pay 117.5% (Cost plus 17.5%)

So you will instead pay 115% instead of 117.5%

The marginal change across the whole economy will provide the stimulus.

Even 1% of the country's disposable income is an enormous amount.

Using your figures, all those £2.50s will be spent elsewhere on "other things". The companies which make or supply those "other things" will have sales boosted. Those companies will go on to order more supplies. Those suppliers will do the same and so on and so forth. If you spend £400 and save a tenner you will spend that tenner on something else.

It's all based on small percentages. The UKs ecomony is set to contract by a small percentage.

This is obviously very simplified. But the success of this plan will pivot on retailers actually passing on the cost reductions.

The saving is actually going to be less than that.

As a consumer you pay 117.5% (Cost plus 17.5%)

So you will instead pay 115% instead of 117.5%

Mark,

I don't want to sound nitpicky or anything, but how do the figures not add up? I don't want this to into a maths class or anything.

PS. I admire your optimism!

This is obviously very simplified. But the success of this plan will pivot on retailers actually passing on the cost reductions.

The big ones probably will (on top of all the price cuts they're making anyway at the moment)
Not so sure the smaller shops will. Have you ever been in a newsagents who has ever lowered prices!

All this is a big gamble on Darlings forecasts, and IF the VAT cut will provide enough of an incentive for people to go out and spend (and spend more).

From my own personal experience of being in a big debt hole and speaking to various advice organisations, the first thing they tell you is to pay off your essential bills first, cut back on any non-essential spending, until you are in a position to do so.

With the hikes in energy prices, fuel (which is now coming down thank christ), mortgages, personal debt on cards, most people would have battened down the hatches long before yesterdays annoucements.

The whole VAT cut has the feeling of joy you get when finding 10p down the back of a sofa.

An small income tax cut would have had a more feel good effect, and would have left people with a choice of what to spend that on.

If it pays off, hats off to him, ill even wear a red rosette next election, stand on my soap box and repent my tory ways.

if it doesnt, we're all in the ****.

;)

That's what they tried in the States back in the spring. A lot of good it did!

Obama will fix it, he is Superman after all!

god knows what the solution is. lets hope we learn from the current situation and if and when things look rosy again, that the govt puts a little bit aside!

Mark,

I don't want to sound nitpicky or anything, but how do the figures not add up? I don't want this to into a maths class or anything.

PS. I admire your optimism!

Do you mean the VAT?

When you buy anything (except stamps) you pay 117.5% as the VAT is included in the price we pay.

The 2.5% reduction in VAT will knock £2.13 off something that costs £100.

Sorry if this wasn't what you asked. And, I'm optimistic as I have no choice other than misery :lol:.

Do you mean the VAT?

When you buy anything (except stamps) you pay 117.5% as the VAT is included in the price we pay.

Sorry if this wasn't what you asked. And, I'm optimistic as I have no choice other than misery :lol:.

Hi Mark.

Unfortunately most companies, especially the retail based, won't do anything to lower their prices, it would be too costly for them to do so.

Be honest, can you see M&S marking their tea-lights (for example) down from £3.99 to £3.91 along with all new price labels, displays etc? We already know the answer don't we.

All they'll do is pocket the 2.5% less VAT they'll have to repay to HM Customs.

Do you mean the VAT?

You are right, I am off to enrol in an adult learning course.

Hi Mark.

Unfortunately most companies, especially the retail based, won't do anything to lower their prices, it would be too costly for them to do so.

Be honest, can you see M&S marking their tea-lights (for example) down from £3.99 to £3.91 along with all new price labels, displays etc? We already know the answer don't we.

All they'll do is pocket the 2.5% less VAT they'll have to repay to HM Customs.

I agree, the plan is so all encompassing that for some, the administrative costs of reducing the VAT will prevent them doing so. I heard the example of a restaurant owner not wanting to reprint all of her menus.

But even if these companies don't pass on the savings they will still keep the 2.5% saved themselves making these companies better off, which will strengthen their financial positions and making them more stable employers.

(In Theory...:lol:)

Back