Pikes 2018

Genuine question from a casual observer - has something changed at Pikes this year, or are they just keeping things fresh ?

In particular I thought their Saturdays (?) with Artwork were successful last year but don't seem to have been repeated, and less Harvey appearances etc. Also seems a bit less buzz (not always a bad thing) where as last year there was a lot of hype

they had to lower the buzz a little, simple as. still lots of successful events and still a great location. 4am close is a bit of a damper but can't be helped.

so far it isn't a very strong season and everyone feels this, including pikes. probably time I post a midseason report on the forum here soon.

deliberately less hype and earlier shutdown to keep numbers manageable. a lot of the parties are more lowkey.

I think they realised last year things were getting out of hand and it was affecting the vibe. I think it's the right strategy although 4am is harsh.

my friends at harvey closing last year said it was dangerously bottle-necked and there was a real risk of a crush. the hype for that was ridiculous. people were flying in from all over the place! the other problem was that genuine fans couldn't get in whilst clueless tourists were. so they had to act really. from what i've heard homies have got it right. minimal hype. passionate music fans. decent crowd. all the best ingredients.

I really enjoyed Pikes this year and it seemed as if everything was a lot more controlled. When I came strolling in on Friday night to head to my room I was stopped and asked if I was on the guestlist etc

The nights themselves seem quieter than before but I really feel thats for the better. Its not super rammed but the atmosphere is definitely still there!

37290277_10160666296925261_4051679019546968064_n.jpg

they had to lower the buzz a little, simple as. still lots of successful events and still a great location. 4am close is a bit of a damper but can't be helped.

so far it isn't a very strong season and everyone feels this, including pikes. probably time I post a midseason report on the forum here soon.
Interesting. When you say lower the buzz a little, is that something they felt they had to do or pressure that was imposed on them to do so? Ie, a licensing restraint.

Genuine question from a casual observer - has something changed at Pikes this year, or are they just keeping things fresh ?

In particular I thought their Saturdays (?) with Artwork were successful last year but don't seem to have been repeated, and less Harvey appearances etc. Also seems a bit less buzz (not always a bad thing) where as last year there was a lot of hype

In terms of layout, Freddies has changed, so the dance-floor is larger and the steps at the back have been removed. Definitely much needed.

I think they are trying to keep things quieter so it remains a hidden gem and with more of the 'right' crowd (i.e. people there for the music and vibe, rather than to take pouting selfies to prove they went to Pikes). The latter were creeping in the last two seasons and it does change the atmosphere.

This May/June definitely seemed a lot quieter everywhere (hotels, clubs, restaurants, roads, bars...) than even May/June 2017. The numbers at Es Vive (where we normally stay and my friend was staying this year) certainly seemed down.

The Music For Freaks party at Pikes, whilst fun and with a really nice crowd, was pretty quiet.

I've probably listened to Joe Morris more recently than anyone else. Outstanding DJ. I know Amigo is a fan too.

in terms of numbers, I'd be perfectly happy to dance in that room with 25 people, 'quiet' is good imo

anyway fingers crossed the hype machine doesn't crank up over next few weeks

I read that Harvey has a cameo in the new Mission Impossible (!) but I think that's set in an LA club

Some friends went to see him at Sonar a few weeks back. Seems it wasn't all that but I don't think he is suited to that kind of event/venue. (I also heard the mayor of Barcelona was there too with 2 bodyguards. All 3 quite 'animated' it seems..)

Back